Amber Liu

Death Feather

There she is again, laughing with her friends after a late night's work. I've been seeing her this way for almost a year now and I'm pretty sure I must not do this continuously. Her time is about to come and there's definitely no reason for me to delay this any further.

I've been doing this job since I was born, trailing beside my father who died because of his love of a mortal which also became close to me. I remember how miserable I became when the council had him beheaded and my step mom burned to death.

The council prohibits the love between us and mortals. Our only job is to get their souls when their time comes and not to interact with them but our clan is one of the few who disobeyed the golden rule.

We belong in one of the richest clans in the organization, looked up upon, respected and feared. But when the scandal came out, others started to mock us and our status went down to the lowest. That's why I am here, I became a death angel.

And one of my tasks is to reap the soul out of the dying which includes this androgynous girl whom I've been observing. Her death should be silent. She'll die of sickness, unbeknownst to her, her family and friends. And I am the one who would fetch her soul to heaven.

People regarded us as black, scary, deadly and evil but looking at my plain white dress that gently flows down to my toes and this little white feather carefully clipped to my hair, I truly object their assumptions.

This feather is the sign we usually leave whenever the soul leaves the person's body that made people call us death feather.

"Amber!" I turned my gaze to the voice coming from the inside of the building, she was Amber's friend at the office and I can feel a between them. Well, for the girl's part mostly because this tomboy doesn't show interest to her other than friendship.

"Ellin! Come join us" She threw her arms around her shoulders and led her to where her other friends were. A mix of boys and girls but I know she has more girl friends than boys and all of those girls has this teeny weeny crush on her.

How did I know? Well if you see them glaring at each other behind fake smiles and laughs, you'll agree with me.

Amber is an absolute pimp, going out with different girls every night, being all too caring and stuff but I know she's lonely. I never knew the reason why her eyes seem to long for something but I know she was waiting for someone. I'm not just so sure who.

I decided to go back to the peak of the light house to get some fresh air since I never sleep, staring at the lights of Seoul was the only consolation I have for all these lonely years.

Death Feathers are not allowed to go with someone except their parents so basically I am alone for 30 years now since my parents died.

I've seen all the deaths possible, starting from the most peaceful to the most morbid and violent. I've left millions of feathers already but this was the very first time a mortal piqued my interest.

My eyes first laid on her when I saw the red, invisible band on her wrists, a sign indicating that she only has few more years in her life before the band turns blue which means the time has come for her to leave the world.

She was walking down the Han river alone, throwing stones and crying. That was the day her mother died and one of the feathers was given by Kim Jongin, my childhood bestfriend who was deeply inlove with another death feather, Kyungsoo.

Both were supportive of me whenever I go back to the headquarters. They ask me how I was or how my job went. They were there when my fellow death feathers turned their back on me because of what happened with my father and they both assured me that whatever happens or if ever I also fall in love with a human they would have my back.

I swore to the heavens I wouldn't fall in love with a mortal but I'm starting to doubt myself these days. How can I even fall in love with a human I never had any personal encounters with, I was just watching her every day and there wouldn’t be a chance for us to talk. But still, her mere laughter and smile can make my heart flutter.

Even though I wanted to go down from here and say hi to her, I can’t. Because only death feathers, can see death feathers and if a person has a third eye, we only appear to them as a ball of light. There is a chance though, the spell Dad did for him to get my step – mom’s attention but it is very risky and I’m sure as hell I’ll be damned if the council knows about this.

“You think too much” Jongin suddenly appeared beside me, he was wearing his white shirt and pants and he was holding a feather in his hands. Probably he just fetched a soul a while ago.

“What brought you here?” I asked, remembering the fact that this interaction is not allowed.

“On my way back to the headquarters, just got a Seoul from a car accident earlier”

“Oh… only one?”

“I don’t think so, I saw a red band from one of the injured…It’s already turning blue”

“Where was that car accident?”

“Few meters from SooMan Industries, a car crashed with around 6 passengers with it”

“Let’s go”

“What? We can’t be together you know”

“Yeah, right. I’ll go”

I instantly disappeared from Jongin’s sight, reappearing at the site of accident where a crowd of people gathered. Nurses, EMT’s, police and bystanders flocked around the area of two wrecked cars. I searched for the scent of the androgynous girl only to find myself frozen to my feet when I saw her locked her eyes with mine while she was carried to the ambulance with a stretcher.

Blood coming from the huge cut on her forehead covered her face, her jeans were torn and she was gasping for air as she called out to me with stretched hands…

“H – Help…”

I looked at my right and left to see if she was looking at some mortal and not me but seeing how those other mortals were busy doing their thing, I was shocked.

She can see me?

I took a step forward and let my feet bring me to her side. I looked into her eyes, hoping for another sign that says she sees me. But she was already dozed off, I grabbed her hand and felt how weak it was but then all of a sudden her hold tightened and I felt a bolt of unexplainable feeling rushing through me.

“Krystal” I heard Jongin’s voice beside me, he too was surprised with what he saw and I can see the alarmed look in his face.

“She… She can see me” I uttered half – wittedly, I was just staring at our hands together and not minding anything else.

“Yes she can, that’s why we need to go now.”

“No! She – “

“Krystal, we need to find answers why she can see you. It might help you against the council.”

“Okay”

I’ll be back, Amber