What am I even doing?

Death Feather

“You forgot your lunch” Amber almost jumped to her feet upon hearing the voice of her ‘invisible friend’ behind her.  

She still feels groggy sometimes but not that worse compared from before. She always see Krystal around her, floating around and observing the faces of my friends who come to visit but she seems to have a hot eye over Ellin. It was known to Amber that Ellin has this blossoming affection for her, she’s not that dense to feel that but when it comes to the beautiful death feather, she was completely clueless about the urge Krystal was fighting to let the woman live.  

“Why do you always pop out from nowhere Krys?”  

Amber was still holding her chest not in fright but with the sudden realization of how beautiful Krystal is especially when the sun shines beneath her. Krystal was sitting or floating on the window rails of her apartment and was smiling, a scene she never saw before.  

“Aren’t you used to it? I’ve been doing this for what? 5 months?”  

“I lived alone for years and you popping out from nowhere still surprise me that much”  

5 months.  5 months since they knew each other, since she learned her true personality, her being a half death feather. They grew closer enough to start bickering and share secrets with each other. Amber learned and shared about her and her friend’s past, how she became a human and how both of their parents were killed ruthlessly.  

Bad thing is, they never met before even if she lived for millions of years  now and if she didn’t piqued Krystal’s interest, they would never meet for another couple of years.  

“You prepared two sets of lunch, is that for that short girl?” This time, Krystal’s face changed 360 degrees and they both felt a sudden gush of cold air get past them.  

“Yes, I always bring her lunch… I thought you knew that?”  

“I am observing you meters away, and besides you’re not my only concern. Quit being cocky”  

Amber scrunched her brows after Krystal disappeared from her sight. Confused as to why the death feather sudden acted the exact opposite, she shrugged those thoughts and started making her way to work.  

“Welcome back llama – faced” she was more than happy when she saw her officemates welcoming her with all smiles, she missed them so much and was thankful for all the help they have given her.  

“Thank you, I’m happy to be back too” after scanning all of her friends, her eyes caught the short girl named Ellin who had her eyes in tears. She was the one who frequently visited her that sometimes she wished that Ellin would lessen it to stop having her from thrice colder than normal.  

“I brought you lunch. See I didn’t forget it” Amber raised the paper bag on her hands and smiled at her, again feeling that cold air around her.  

“I think I should get to work” She excused herself and went to her table only seeing Krystal staring at the computer screen in front of her.  

“That’s what humans call computer” She smiled, hoping that the soul opposite her would smile back but sadly, she didn’t.  

“The heavens should have this, like a portal or whatsoever”  

“I believe the heavens is purely white”  

“Mostly, but not all”  

“Still angry?”  

“Angry? I don’t know what you are talking about”  

“You left me earlier”  

“I told you, you’re not my only concern”  

“Amber? Are you talking to someone?” Amber shivered when she recognized that voice, it was Ellin and she was preparing for another cold wind around her.  

“Hey Ellin, No I’m not” She forced a smile and glanced at Krystal who was staring again at the computer screen, trying to appear unmindful of the interaction of the two. 

“Are we having lunch together later?”  

“Of course, I brought you yours. Just like the usual”  

“Really? I’m excited then” Ellin suddenly threw herself to Amber and when Amber was just to return the friendly embrace, her computer exploded.  

“Are you guys okay?” Their officemates scrambled to them when they heard the sudden accident. 

“Y – Yeah” Ellin moved herself closer to Amber who just searched for Krystal. She knew well enough that it was the death feather’s doing but she sure hell doesn’t know why. 

“Are you guys hurt?”  

“We’re fine”  

“I’ll ask the maintenance to replace your computer, wait a minute.”  

“That’s weird, your computer is working well these past few days.” Ellin said as she sat on her chair after Amber walked her to her cubicle.  

“It’s not weird, just get used to it. I’m sure this would happen for a couple of times more”  

“What do you mean?”  

“Nothing, just…get used to it. I’ll be going back now, I don’t want another explosion here”  

Amber walked back to her cubicle and she was sure she saw Krystal sitting on top of the cabinet once again.  

“Is there really a need to do that to my things Krys?”  

“Sorry, I didn’t intend to do that”  

“It’s okay, you’re not hurt right?”  

“No I am not, but I can hurt”  

“Stop that Krys, you’re being too curious now. You might crash this whole building down”  

“I will never do that, I can only move small things”  

“Are you staying there? Don’t you have other concerns?”  

“I don’t have, I want to see you work and drive away some distractions”  

“Distractions? What death feathers?”  

“No. Don’t mind me, just continue what you were doing” 

Amber sat on the chair of the next cubicle where she  would be working temporarily, eyeing at Krystal who was swinging her feet in the air. She didn’t mean it but her eyes caught the silky white skin of Krystal’s feet and she can’t help but to trace it upwards with her eyes. She clutched her chest with her right hand and covered her eyes with her left to prevent herself from moving further. 

What am I even doing?