Rescued with Memories

A Touch of Fear
Please log in to read the full chapter

I heard the rustling of the leaves as footsteps neared the tree I had taken cover from.

"Alexis!"

I looked up, "Lay..."

He immediately ran over and kneeled down, his eyes scanning my face. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"I-I just want to go home," I murmured. 

Without questioning, he nodded and helped me up. He held my hand tightly as he took out his Emerald. I closed my eyes and leaned against his shoulders for support.

 

When I opened my eyes, I was in my bedroom. I looked around and slowly sat up. My bedroom door opened and Dara ran inside to hug me, "Oh my goodness! Are you okay? I thought you were sick or something, you've been asleep for 7 hours now!"

I smiled and hugged her back, "Sorry, I was just feeling a bit stressed out."

She tried to make eye contact with me but I looked away. "Do you want a break? I can hold back your Assignments for now."

"No! I'll be fine," I said. "I just need to rest up and I'm good."

She nodded and hesitated before asking, "...Did something happen during your second Assignment?"

"No...why?" I asked.

She sighed as she sat by my bed side. "Because the Goblin we were hoping to capture is dead. His bones are completely broken and..."

"And what?" I asked.

"The rest of his body was disintegrated..." she murmured. "We were only about to recognize it was him because of his pouch, it was beside the bones."

I covered my mouth in shock.

Disintegrated? I thought he died from shock after they broke his bones...How-what!?

"We don't know how this happened unless he was burned to death but it doesn't make sense... there's no evidence of fire, just his remains. Did you see anything happen?"

I slowly shook my head, "No..."

She nodded, "Alright, I'll go make the report. Maybe it was accidental, the rest of the jewelry he had stolen are still there so we'll return those to the rightful owners."

She left the room and closed the door. I gulped and looked at the Garnet ring.

Why did I say no??? I don't understand, what is wrong with me? Why am I hiding everything?

...

Disintegrated? How is that even possible. I only heard the sound of cracking bones-

I shivered at that thought. I sat on the corner of my bed and wrapped my arms around myself. I closed my eyes as the ring of voices began to grow louder and louder. I covered my ears but it was of no use. My mind was racing as it flash backed, involuntarily.

"Grab Alexis and go!"

"I am not leaving you here alone!"

The man grabbed the arms of the woman and stared into her eyes, "I know, but she's our only daughter and we must do whatever it takes to protect her. Those men are coming and they will stop at no cost. Honey, she's five, we promised to protect her from the dangers. I'll try my best to stop them," he kissed her forehead, "Now go!"

"Mommy? Daddy?" I began to cry. I knew they were saying goodbye, but I didn't understand why. It wasn't vacation n

Please log in to read the full chapter