Uncle Sam

A Touch of Fear
Please log in to read the full chapter

I set another arrow onto the arrow rest and concentrated through the sight window of my bow. I pulled back the string and aimed it towards the target.

“Score!” I grinned as I hit another bull’s eye. I ended up going to the Training Arena to practice more before I receive another Assignment. That is, if I receive another Assignment.

“Alexis!” I turned around only to have Lay slam into me with a hug.

“Hey Lay! What was that? Did something good happen?” I asked as I tried to back away from the uncomfortable hug.

Lay didn't budge as he continued to hold me in his tight hug, "I just received another Assignment!" he exclaimed.

"That's great!" I said. "But could you let me go now? You know I hate hugs..."

He rolled his eyes, "Alright, fine." He released me as I awkwardly rub my arms. 

"Oh! Did you apply the salve on it, yet?" he asked with concern. 

"Yeah," I said and showed him the cut. 

"Well, it's not as swollen as before. It got better," he said as he examined my arm. "I'm glad you're safe," he murmured.

"Hm? Sorry, I got distracted. What happened?" I asked. 

"Nothing, I was just asking if you're going to Director Park's house again," he said with a shrug.

"Oh, yeah. In fact, I got to go now, she said we're going to meet up in a few hours." My bow and arrows faded away as I took out my Crystal. I sent a quick message to Dara and slipped it back into my pouch.

"Okay, let's go then," he said and walked off.

"Let's go? You're coming too?" I asked as I tried to catch up with him.

Dammit, Lay. You and your long legs...!

"Of course, we always eat together," he grinned.

"But she never invites you," I said.

"Well I know she enjoys my company and so do you," he teased. He took out his Emerald, "Second place has to wash the dishes!" He disappeared as I stood there, irked.

Lay..!!!

I immediately took out my Emerald and envisioned Dara's home. A small cottage with a large front yard. Flowers of all different colors scattered around, flourishing. My surroundings blurred out and soon, I was in front of her door steps. I knocked on the door.

"Coming!"

Dara opened the door with a smile, "Alexis! You're late!"

I rolled my eyes, "It's only by 2 minutes because someone decided to ditch me to get here first," I said and glared at Lay. 

He grinned back at me as he laid on the couch, eating some potato chips. "I guess you're washing the dishes." 

"Lay! Get your legs off the couch and stop eating potato chips. You won't have room for dinner," Dara said as she snatched away the bag of chips. Lay removed his legs off the couch and headed towards the dining table. 

I entered in as well and sat down on one of the empty seats. I looked around at the plates, "Dara, do we have a guest? Why are there four plates out?"

"Ah, yes. I forgot to mention, one of my colleagues are coming over to

Please log in to read the full chapter