Assignment: 01

A Touch of Fear
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sweat was slowly trailing down my forehead as I watched for any movement between the parted bushes that I had taken cover from.

 

Breathe. You can do this. It's your first assignment! You will NOT mess this up after all that training.

 

My eyes scanned the area once more. My eyebrows furrowed at the lack of action.

 

Why hasn't anything happened yet? It's been well over 20 minutes...They can't possibly have sent me to the wrong assignment...could they?

 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a sudden rustle. I summoned my bow and arrow and within a second, it was in my hands. I pulled the arrow back and aimed towards the rustling movement. I waited for the creature to pop out, but it remained still. My patience was wearing thin as the silence dragged on.

 

Suddenly, there was a piercing scream.

 

I immediately ran out from my hiding spot and ran towards the scream. I immediately aimed my arrow at the culprit, only to find the back of a 15 foot spider. It stood in front of a large web. Unfortunately, someone was stuck inside the web. The spider turned around and glared down at me. I gulped but kept my aim steady.

 

"From orders 10670, you have broken the rules of harming those who are innocent. Retreat now and you will be released."

 

The spider hissed and a few spurts of venom escaped from its mouth.

 

"I'm giving you a second chance. Step away from her," I said and aimed the arrow higher.

 

One of the spider's legs whipped across and just barely missed my head.

I swiftly jumped out of the way and landed a few feet away. I pulled back on the arrow and released it. The spider gave a gurgling cry as the arrow punctured one of its eyes.

Why can't it just retreat? Is it it not scared of death?

Angry, it immediately pounced. I jumped out of the way, but I wasn't fast enough. One of the spikes on its leg slashed across my arm. I winced as I landed back on the ground. Without wasting time, I immediately shot another arrow. This time, aiming at its heart. It shot across but missed the target. I cursed under my breath as the spider spat out a string of webs.

 

My bow and arrow faded away as I summoned my shield and it appeared in my forearm. I was pushed back from the impact as the web slammed onto the shield. Unfortunately, it was stuck on the shield. The spider tugged and I grunted as I tried to pull my shield away but it wouldn't budge. I quickly summoned my knife. I whispered a few words of enchantments as the knife began to heat up and slashed it across the web. The web split into pieces and the spider stumbled backwards. My arm began to throb a bit and I grabbed onto it, applying pressure to it.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous! You've lost your chance. 

I dodged another string of webs as the spider got back on its feet. This time, it spat out venom. I blocked it with my shield but immediately dropped it onto the ground as the bubbling venom spilled all over the shield. The spider gave another cry before headings towards me. I heard a small rustle and for a second, my eyes left the target.

A dark figure was hiding behind the trunk of a large tree. His eyes reflecting the moon as he stared back at me. The spider immediately shrieked and I focused back my attention. I immediately summoned my bow and arrow and

Please log in to read the full chapter