Every Night

We Were All Strangers Back Then

The green head gets back to her room, staring at her packages. They are all unpacked. No one could have thought of getting kicked out for the first day that she rents the house. Frustration gets it all over her, along with madness. This is day 1 only and her relationship with the house owner is screwed up already. Even if she can stay, it will be surely tough for both of them. The thought of searching all over on the internet for renting a house kills more of her brain cells.

Despite of her musician image, the green haired girl never liked talking much. Every artist has his/ her own attitude and temper, this girl is not an exception. She lives in her own world, observing surroundings; however, if she wants something, no matter how hard it is, she would use all her ways to get it. All of her weird behavior makes her isolated by others. Not that she does not have any friends, but only one girl can stand her until the end.

Picking up her phone and dialing to her again, the musician takes it as a daily work to her. She calls her every single night, to share her side. It becomes a part of her daily routine, just like brushing teeth and showering. And right now, she needs the call badly as she knows her best friend can ease her nerves and get her problems all solved. It’s always been like this: she needs her. Sounds of dialing to her friend gets on her nerve, the musician waits anxiously. Seconds fly but the lady feels like minutes.

“Jiyoon?” A tiring voice sends from the telephone.

“Are you sleeping?” The green haired musician, Jiyoon, asks.

“No, I was just reading some fashion magazines.” Another girl replies, faking her energy up. No matter how late Jiyoon calls, she would answer, just for her.

“Okay, good. I need to talk to you tonight, Sohyun.” Once again, the musician is unconcerned or maybe she does not care about whether the girl is willing to listen or not. It’s always been like this: she is self-centred.

Another night the younger girl, Sohyun, gathers up all her energy and strength for her crush, Jeon Jiyoon; even the one does not give a about her side. Sometimes it got Sohyun wondering if Jiyoon is too careless to notice her situation or she treats her as a backup plan only. Hours and hours of listening to Jiyoon, it is truly tiring for the latter girl. She sighs at herself, wondering why she can still stand this until now? The answer hides in her heart and she knows it: she doesn’t want to lose her, although all she is getting is wounds.

“I should have lived in your house!” The greenie whines at her friend, throwing tantrum at the same time.

“I know. I’m sorry…unnie. If you could have made up your mind earlier, then I would have kept the renting contract for you instead of letting another girl to live in.” No one knows the reason of her apologizing, not even herself can figure out; yet, she takes all the blame no matter what. And once again, it becomes another wound in her heart. Holes and scratches on her heart, it seems never enough. Maybe one day I will leave her…without any painful feelings, maybe… This is how she told herself and she has been telling herself this for five years. It ends up that no one straps her in this condition but herself.

Sun rise up, 6 o’clock in the morning, Sohyun gets up for refreshing after the call ends. Splashing water at her face, looking at the mirror, the blonde spots her panda eyes, messy hair and her tiredness in her heart. She takes a deep breath, holds her lingering pathetic feelings and fixes her hair. Make up can hide her tiredness but not her sadness. Nights are a torture to her yet she has been longing to hear her voice, to feel that she is important to her, at least at that little moment.

Now time has come to the end. She should get prepared for work. Getting on her white Cube car, she is another girl who needs work as a drug to numb her feelings for a while before getting herself drown into a blue mood. Pressure adding on the engine of the car, it speeds up. However no matter how fast the blonde wants to reach her office, the memory of that night with Jiyoon slips into her mind, blocking her from focusing on the road.

 

 

 

 

That night

“I’m sorry but I do appreciate how you feel towards me. You know I do not have many friends and it means a lot me…”

What she said could not get into the Sohyun’s ears anymore. She heard it well: I’m sorry. A proof to herself, she had to stop growing the useless feelings which she could never get anything as a return. Smiles were worn on Sohyun’s face, even though those were fake ones. Smiles were not smiles but tears. Tears were not allowed for this situation even she was crying out loud in her mind. Avoiding eye contact was all she could do. She knew it well – if their eyes met, tears would flow out and it would never stop again. And she knew it well that Jiyoon was observing her facial expression. Once she had any break down, Jiyoon would pull her close for a hug and this was something she could not stand.

“No worries. I expected it. We’re still best friends.”

Fake smiles became a wide grin, still, a fake one. How much braveness did she have that she could utter those words without breaking down in front of Jiyoon, her crush. How much pain she could receive while saying this? And…how much fakeness she could still put on her face until the whole drama ended? No one knew. A second lasted ages to Sohyun.

“Are you ok?” Jiyoon tried to reach out her hand, patting her shoulder; but the latter girl stood up and left to the door without looking back.

“Yea! Let’s go. I’m tired, wanna go home already, remember I still have work tomorrow?” The younger girl walked out of the café, heading to the bus stop located at the road opposite.

What made things ironic was that the musician thought she was really okay with it. Instead of comforting her, she moved on to the next topic already, her favourite topic – music. To the young lady, she was not sure if Jiyoon was really a dumb or she does not care about her at all. But then, she still liked her a lot, maybe even love her…

And surely they became best friend since Jiyoon would call her every single day, or text, sharing her side, as if nothing between them.

Indeed, there was nothing between them to the musician. It has always been like this: It meant nothing to Jiyoon, but everything to Sohyun.

 

 

 

 

 

Second day has come. Everyone focuses on their work in the office, except that black haired girl, Kim Hyuna. Her mind seems a bit off today, the fact of getting rejected and having a stranger sharing the house with her bother her a lot. Mistakes are found in every single task she does today. It just makes her feel more frustrated.

“What’s up with you, Hyuna? Normally you’re the mood maker here. Why are you so quiet today?” A colleague in the same team starts while having a mouthful taste of her lunchbox.

The girl with deep thoughts fakes a smile, leaving out a sigh. Obviously, the girl has no mood for her lunch as she keeps playing food with her chopsticks.

“Do you know how to kick a tenant out of your house?” She mumbles at herself, nearly no one can hear her.

“Huh? Tenant? I never heard that you got one?” Her colleague replies with shocks.

“Now I got one but I wanna kick her out. My mom rented the house out without asking my permission but…argh I need money as well.” The brunette finally puts a broccoli into .

“Well...I guess she has signed the contract with your mom. You either pay her to leave or with it.” The colleague shrugs her shoulder, continuing her meal.

“Very helpful” Hyuna rolls her eyes, letting out another sigh. Eventually, she throws her lunchbox away, walks back to her seat and starts another round of work.

 

Soon, she is called by her boss, Gayoon. She mutters curses at herself, whining why she has to deal with her when she has no such mood. Accidentally, she slams the door behind her, shocking everyone in the office, including herself.

“Sorry.” Apology is not really what she meant but…it is a manner. Yet you can read it well on her face that she is not sorry and Gayoon takes a cue.

“Grumpy today huh?” Gayoon rarely shows her smiles but today she does it for Hyuna. The senior waits for the younger lady to take a seat, observing her mood.

“Nope” A short answer means that her mood is ruined. Gayoon knows it better than anyone. That is why she giggles after listening to such lame answer.

“You know you always use nope to decline things when you’re not in a mood right?” The designer lets out soft laughs, staring at the girl whose face is black as hell. Hyuna remains silence, not taking a glance at her crush as well.

“Wanna have a dinner tonight?” This is the first time Gayoon offers a meal with her. Not that she never wants it, but she knows Hyuna well that the girl might misunderstand it as a date. But today, she has to do it as Hyuna never made so many mistakes at her work. At the end, her performance will affect her work as well.

Dinner. Hyuna looks up at her. She cannot get a clue from her boss. What is in her mind? Meanwhile, Gayoon cannot read her employee’s face as well. She does not know if she wants it or not. The boss raises her eyebrow, tilting her head aside, waiting for a response.

“So…? Yes or no?” The red haired girl asks again.

“Why?” The latter girl still wears the pokerface mask, staring at her boss. Having her arms folded in front of her chest, the brunette looks like a boss more at this moment.

It caught Gayoon off her guard as she never expects that Hyuna would ask such question.

“You seem having some problems and it would be better if we hang out and chitchat a bit.” The red head explains, observing the girl silently. Apparently, her employee is not convinced.

“And…” She quickly adds before the girl rejecting her.

“And…it’s time for me to move on. It’s been three years after all.” Silence fills the room afterwards. No eye contact between both girls, Gayoon looks away while the shocked brunette slightly widens her eyes. Until now, she still has no idea what Gayoon is planning for. The red head never talks about her love life except that drunk night.

“I’ll take it as a yes. We’ll leave together tonight.” Without waiting, the boss has made the decision.

At this moment, the brunette does not know if she should feel happy or not. After all, the change of Gayoon is a huge breaking news to her.