Shadow

We Were All Strangers Back Then

An image of being an heiress is a spell to this 24-year-old lady. Instead of enjoying the advantages of being an heiress, it becomes more like a burden to her. And she chose to be an ordinary girl in her father’s clothing company. Without any announcement, she requested her family to let her have all the interviews, no difference from other applicants. Her fashion knowledge leads her to pass through all the tests and she officially becomes a senior fashion designer in the company.

Today she starts off with the daily routines, having breakfast with her family members. In such huge house, she never feels carefree. The house is a huge cage to her, locking her up in this small world, following all the rules other people set up for her. She once thought about moving out, on her own, meeting new people. However, she is fine with this cage. At some point she rather stays in the cage and never gets hurt like before. A glimpse of what she experienced with that girl she poured all her love to her, just kills her. Her heart aches whenever she thinks of her, and her sweet words.

On her way to work, she recalls all the happiness with that girl. That girl once brought her stepping out of her box. That girl once widened her horizon. That girl once showed her what it feels like out of her cage. The most important to her is that she showed her what love is. Lately, her name keeps coming up in her mind and it annoys her. As much as she hates her, she finds herself still loves that girl even she should never do.

Back at her office, everyone greets her with smiles. A long sigh releases from her as she takes a seat. Pulling out the drawer, she spots the polaroid, the photo of her and that girl. It feels like yesterday yet it feels like ages as well. That girl is so close to her yet so far from her. In the polaroid, she rested her head on her shoulder, intertwining her arm with hers. The smile on her face is never going to be seen again. No one can ever make her grin like the way that girl did to her. Staring at that girl with sharp red hair, she then takes a glance at the mirror placed on her desk. Wine red hair. She dyed it for her since that lady in the photo once praised her looking good with it. All the moments between them flood her, along with the blue feelings. She missed her. In fact, she still does, just that she never wants to admit the pathetic truth. Knocks on the door bring her back from her deep thoughts.

“Gayoon, I bring you the samples of the new coming product line.” A girl who looks in her early twenty walks in without noticing if it is the right timing to enter. Luckily, the red haired boss adjusts herself quick, wearing a pokerface mask again.

Their eyes first meet after the younger girl places all the samples on the desk. The younger girl smiles at her boss, sending her warmness as always. Gayoon is always thanksful that she has Hyuna, her junior with her. Since the break-up with that girl, her mood is always down no matter what. An award from an authority in the fashion industry cannot bring her a smile and she got a nickname, Ice Witch. Everyone is scared of her cold image and harsh comments, except this young girl, Kim Hyuna. No one dares to call her name, again, this girl does; technically, Gayoon lets her do so. Hyuna always has a special place in her heart. She can always make her feel better even her heart is broken but that is it. Hyuna is just a special friend to her, nothing more.

“The samples are okay. You can tell them to start the mass production.” The senior designer said in a monotone, signing the paper that her secretary placed on her desk this morning. The latter girl remains silence, holding words she wants to say. No need to take a glance at the girl, Gayoon knows that Hyuna wants something.

“Anything else?” Gayoon raises her eyebrow, staring at her junior. It catches Hyuna on nerves.

“Um…I was wondering if you wanna have a dinner tonight?” Finally she utters those words.

Her stares get softened. It’s another date. This is what the red haired designer thinking. She knows it well, she knows Hyuna well. Gayoon knows what exactly Hyuna wants. Not that she is an idiot or anything, she knows that Hyuna likes her. However, it is not something she can return to. That girl, that girl in the polaroid still has her heart, completely.

“Hyuna…” The older girl starts, softly.

“I got it.” The girl with black hair in her sleeveless shirt and high waist skirt packs everything quick, avoiding eye contact. Another time to get rejected, she better leaves the room soon before she cannot control her emotions. It hurts, both of them. One hurts from endless rejections, another one hurts from disappointing her special friend all the time. But Gayoon knows the best; if she accepts her, it would be only another torture to start. Therefore, she chooses to pretend and reject. This is the best thing she can do for Hyuna.

“I’m gonna monitor the production line.” The brunette girl turns around and leaves straight to the door. Indeed, this is just another time to get rejected from who she has been having a crush on for years.

Sighs slip through . The designer rests her head on the chair, spacing out. Silence fills the room. Whenever silence comes, the face of that girl will appear. Her face like a shadow, she can never get rid of it.

A long day passed. The brunette made her own way to the end of the rough day, or you can say blue day. Work helps her push the feelings aside for a while. All the negative thoughts and affected emotions can be put aside for a minute and explode after work. The cycle repeats every single day. In the lime light, she plays it all fine, acts like nothing happened until she reaches her house.

Dragging her tiring body to home, she cannot wait to throw herself on bed and drown herself with all the blue feelings. When the darkness comes, she cannot hold up her blue feelings but to let sadness devour her mind all night long. Letting herself die from sadness becomes a part of her daily routines. Her hand searches for the key in her pocket, taking it out and inserting into the key hole. A sigh before entering her house, she opens the door and finds a stranger with green bob hairstyle in her house.

“Who the heck are you!” She screams, scaring the girl who is having her meal at the dining table.

“What the…” The girl with green hair chokes a bit, coughing and wiping off the food on her lips.

“Who are you! Get out of my place!” Hyuna yells at her, slamming the door behind her.

“I rent the house! You must be Hyuna, right? I was find a house, and I found yours online. I’ve talked to your mom and already paid her.” The girl in shocks explains quick before getting herself into another trouble.

“No. I’m not renting it out. I’ll talk to my mom but you gotta leave next week.” She rushes to her room without letting the new girl express her thoughts.

“What?! I’ve already paid it! Yah!” She follows the house owner and knocks her door endlessly.

The brunette falls on her bed, thinking why her day has to be that tough as if her day is not ty enough. It did not start well with Gayoon and now she has a stranger with green hair in her house, invading her privacy. Her mind is about to explode. Everything and everyone are pushing her to the limit. Ignoring all the noise from that girl knocking her door, she quickly falls asleep after a drowning day.

The last knock on the door becomes a hit, showing her frustration and anger. The green girl does not feel any better than the brunette at all. Her music career is on the cliff, the edge of breaking down. If she cannot produce new music, she is screwed, so is her career. The girl tries so hard to escape from her hometown, getting new inspiration here. Apparently, her plan has been ruined.

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------

A boring introduction as usual