Faking It

We Were All Strangers Back Then

Gayoon POV

Another night that I had to attend an event with a compulsory order from my boss, never had I liked such socializing event. Imaging that you had to wear masks, faking smiles at the business partners you barely knew, you would rather spending a night at home alone, eating popcorn and watching some TV. Well, at least I would prefer that. Soon, I followed my working teammates to the place, could not help but rolled eyes when I realized it was actually a bar. Any alcoholic drinks were last things I wanted tonight, so was the noisy and smoky environment. Unwillingly, I dragged my feet, followed them into the bar and found an aisle seat where I could isolate myself from my hyper teammates. Even Hyuna tried to accompany me as much as she could, it did not feel right for me to even response a single word. At the end, I pushed her to the party our teammates were having fun at and I knew it better that she would never reject anything I requested her to. For minutes of being alone, it did not get any better but make me feel somewhat more uneasy. I thought I would have at least enjoyed the alone time, but it turned out to another way round. Watching my teammates and the business partners chi-chatting, playing games, I felt exactly what I wanted to feel at the first place, isolated. I sighed at the moment which everyone was having fun except me sitting here, drinking non-alcoholic drinks, alone. My sight shifted to other tables, tried to find something interesting and I saw her. A sharp red haired girl in her silk one-piece dress with high heels, had two other girls in her arms, whispering at her ears. She caught my attention. The world seemed interesting suddenly. She sat far from me but I could still notice how attractive her eyes were, like black hole, me in. Obviously, she was that kind of a girl, partying hard, drinking until drunk and sleeping with different women every night; and obviously, she would never be the type I would even take a look at. However, she did steal my soul, my heart and my brain. There she was, catching my eyes, staring at me with her hazel eyes with smirks. My heart was about to explode as I could feel her caressing my face, even with her intense stares only. Magnetic stares, her eyes kept me focusing on her even the scene of those two girls leaning close to her killed me. A spell, it was like a spell once my eyes fell on her. With the spell, I felt drunk. With her stares, I felt hot. With her smirks, I felt like in heaven. This was the effect she did on me. All the reactions I got eventually got paid off. She walked to me, leaving the ladies behind.

“A beautiful lady like you, should not be seen here.” She whispered at my ear and her breath hit me hard, right at my heart.

Not that I have not warned myself, or someone warned me that this lady was no good for me, no one understood that love could make you blind and deaf. What a cliché naïve advice. Yet, love could change a person completely and I once thought I could change her, I believed that. Maybe the rebellious genes inside of me fought back and won, there I was, hurt, until now.

 

 

 

 

===============================================================================================================================

The next day, the girls share the same last word of their first names are going to spend the day together, doing some sight-seeing on the mountain. Jiyoon suggests that they go hiking, instead of staying indoor all the time. Walking up to the tip of the mountain, the girls share a moment of peaceful silence, no awkwardness though. Jiyoon takes the lead, walking a bit ahead of her new friend; while the latter one enjoys the back view of the musician. Jiyoon carrying a guitar on her back, occasionally look back to check on her crush. The sun shines on her face, making the musician become more appealing. Without taking a break in between, the girls make to the top. Both of them enjoy fresh air up there, the powerful nature view in front of them. The green lake down the mountain reflects the mountain on the surface. Blue sky becomes a bonus to the sight along with the breeze caressing their faces. Under this moment, everyone would be drunk with such atmosphere. For the musician, this trip is definitely worthy enough. Taking a look at the red haired lady standing right next to her, she somewhat gets inspiration at the moment and starts to play a song with her guitar, humming along with melody. A lady playing guitar with such beautiful view behind her, it is simply a drawing to the fashion designer. Without noticing, she tries to grab her phone and capture the moment but then she stops. The feeling of falling into another trap attacks her, causing her to stop what she wants to do. To be specific, she stops herself from falling for the musician. No one understands the reason why Gayoon would follow this lady to the mountain, spending her vacation with her, not even herself. All she knows is that this lady in front of her sort of opens her heart within these two days and she has no idea how she could do so. Yet, she promised herself that she will not make the same mistake even though Jiyoon did remind her of that lady. One stubborn lady states that they could be friends but not further more while another assures that the fashion designer will change her mind eventually.

 

 

Time she cherishes the most, the faster it will pass. Soon, the ladies have to leave apart, going back to their lives. A new project waiting for the fashion designer in her room, the business partner arrives with her assistant, having their backs at the door. A brownish haired lady sitting on the chair while her blonde assistant standing beside her, wait for their new business partner. A half hour passed, the lady on the seat seems running out of patience as she folds her arms in front of her chest, whining at her assistant. Finally, the boss is here with her buyer, Hyuna, entering the room while apologizing for the late appearance. Everything is fine until they all meet each other. All facial expressions tell a story, a shocking one. Hyuna meets the half- girl in her company, while Sohyun meets the one who kicks her out of Jiyoon’s rent apartment. They both feel nothing but shocked, leaving their mouths slightly open. Both of them look dumbfounded. The assistants are having a hard time to greet their new business partner, but what eases the situation is that both people in charge of this project let out fake coughs, signaling the girls to behave like a professional. The brownish haired girl reaches out her hand, greeting the fashion designer.

“I’m Nam Jihyun, the interior designer from the K.N.N. Design, also in charge of this collaboration project.” Even though she has been waiting for the red haired fashion designer for long, she does not show any annoyance in front of her. Instead, she grins wide, sending her eye smiles as well. Another in-charge in this room is stunned for a few seconds until she realizes the weirdness.

“Oh sorry, I’m Gayoon, the fashion…” She shakes the hand, smiling awkwardly.

“I know…the famous fashion raising star, Heo Gayoon. I’ve heard it from media.” The brownish designer lets out a soft laugh, making the latter one blush.

During the meeting, Gayoon seems a bit off as her head starts to hurt, making her daze out a bit. It catches Jihyun’s attention, especially when the red haired senior needs her assistant to nudge her arm to make her stay focus.

“Gayoon, are you alright? You look really pale.” The older lady asks.

“Do I?” Gayoon looks at her assistant who nods at the statement.

“Maybe we could arrange a meeting at another day.” Jihyun suggests, leaning her body towards the desk.

“No. I’m fine. Let’s get this done quick.” The latter one insists to continue despite of her illness.

Three hours have passed. A marathon of meeting finally comes to an end, along with the red haired lady’s energy. They quickly do a wrap up, bidding goodbyes. In the room, there are left the fashion designer and her assistant.

“Gayoon, you look really sick now. You should go…” Hyuna cannot continue her words as she sees that Gayoon shows her the stop sign by raising her hand, lowering her head.

“Get out. I need some space.” Her tone changes, fiercely. Her voice is shaking, her body is shivering.

“Gayoon…” Gayoon’s words does not make Hyuna feel any better but worried more.

“Get out! NOW!” She shouts, still having her face down to the floor while one palm find support on the desk.

A sudden change from her crush frightens the brunette buyer. Worries and negative doubts flood her body. Yet she has no choice but to leave. As she knows, it will only turn worse if she stays. It puts her on pins and needles when she is surrounded by her colleagues gossiping over the shout from the room. At the moment, she tries to recall what she could have gone wrong in the meeting but she cannot.

 

Meanwhile, the red haired designer is suffering in the room. All the smiles she did were fake. Her body shivers, her mind goes mad and her heart almost stops functioning. Breathe, keep breathing, this is what she tells herself but her body reacts in the opposite way. Her hands clench on to the desk. Nails can almost dig into it. Her heart squeezes. She is literally feeling suffocated. Her lips shiver along with her body. Her hands shake when she tries to pat her chest. Recalling the moment she shook her hand, Gayoon breaks down, mentally. Eyes smiles, grins, skinship, even her voice, every single detail drives her crazy. It was not physical illness. It is a mental illness, a wound that Jihyun left to her. Tears flow out quick, running through on her face. Drip drops, drip drops, her clothing is wetted. Why am I crying for? How could she be so calm? How could she act like they never met before? How bold she is that she stands in front of her without feeling guilty? HOW? These questions she keeps asking herself in mind. But then she also blames herself for still having feelings or maybe still deeply in love with Jihyun. This is pathetic and ironic. Both of them acted calm, but she breaks down right after the meeting. And, everything has just started.