Painkiller

We Were All Strangers Back Then

A photo of a dawn at a mountain, Sohyun stares at her phone, sighing at it as her crush texted her that she left for a short vacation. They supposed to spend time together at this long weekend. Yet, her greenie crush, Jeon Jiyoon, left her without an advanced notice. Spotting Jiyoon’s oversized shirt in her house, she recalls what happened last night, the scene of her getting kicked out of Jiyoon’s rent apartment. The scene of her being half and got spotted by the house owner who thought they had , she sighs at herself.

 

 

 

“Sohyun ah, grab me some clothes and stuffs here. Remember the clothes I left in your house? Guess I finally have a chance to get them back but I couldn’t leave right now. Can you get them for me? Love ya!” Sohyun was shot with all the words, like bullets, fast and short. Her crush did not give her a chance to reply, then she hung up.

“What the…” Sohyun hated it since it made her feel like a slave or a maid to Jiyoon. Best friend? Best buddy? Her sister? When…and how could she be? At that moment, she felt nothing but a slave who followed her master, Jiyoon’s order and obeyed it. She let out a heavy sigh, thinking why she fell in love with such person. It was just about time – when she suffered enough, she would leave…for sure. She would. Just don’t know when…

For another way to think, it was a great opportunity to spend time with her greenie crush. It had been three weeks since their last gathering. She missed her, a lot. At some point, it would be okay for Jiyoon to treat her like this, she sort of allowed her to treat her bad.

Without noticing the weather forecast, Sohyun went out without an umbrella while it was raining cats and dogs. All of her was soaked. Arriving at Jiyoon’s apartment, she intended to take off her clothes, leaving her bra and pants on. First step, she thought to herself: it might be the first step to get their relationship to another level. To Sohyun, she hoped that her half image might leave a better impression on the Greenie. Indeed, the lady in a black lace bra with soaked blue skinny jeans, was truly attractive and hot. The black bra stood out more with her milky white skin. Water dripped from her wet blonde hair, slid down to her chest, down to her abs. Everyone would have found this y, except the one she cared the most, she loved, Jeon Jiyoon. Thing supposed to be y and hot, had become lousy and boring. It frustrated the younger lady. What did I do to put myself in such situation? She doubted herself. It seemed that the Greenie did not give a damn about the view in front of her right now. Instead, she nagged the younger lady for taking off her clothes, not drying herself, a chance to catch a cold, blah blah blah. No matter how many times Sohyun tried to send her signals through eye-contacts, the Greenie showed the same face, pokerface.

“You’re gonna catch a cold, here, put on my clothes!” said the Greenie, throwing the young girl some clothes. Jiyoon sometimes did show her caring side to her close friend.

“Than…” Sohyun’s words got cut off as she heard a sound of the front door slammed. This was not a good sign though, especially when she was half .

“Seriously? You’re new here, and brought your girlfriend to stay over already?! I’m warning you, Ms…Green” A brunette rushed in and sent Jiyoon dead threat already. She was the that Jiyoon mentioned before. She thought. Either she saved her crush or helped start a war, even Sohyun wanted to confront to the brunette who seemed to be the owner of this house, she did not do anything reckless as she knew Jiyoon would be the one who was gonna suffer in the near future. She quickly changed the clothes, grabbed her stuffs and left the house. All she could do was only praying for her crush, hoping everything would be fine between them.

 

 

 

Staring at Jiyoon’s oversized shirt and boyfriend shorts, she shows her smiles whenever she thinks of her. It hurts sometimes when Jiyoon treats her like a piece of furniture. When Jiyoon wants her, she would come to her; when Jiyoon does not need her, she has no chance to meet the girl. And it happens every single month, just like this weekend. However, everything will be fine when Jiyoon texts her. A text can melt her heart already, but Jiyoon would never notice this.

A vibration from her phone, Sohyun grabs it quickly as she had been waiting for her text since this morning. Jiyoon was suddenly no show, no replies from her, no calls from her last night as well. It gets the young blonde worried. The only connection between these two is the phone. Texts and calls are like drug salvation to the younger girl to ease her addiction of Jiyoon. It sounds pathetic though. To live with such one-sided love, to be treated like a toy, to suffer from getting ignored or even forgotten, none of them makes her days better. Yet, she puts herself into such situation. At the end, who to blame, it is herself as she lets everything happen without fighting against it once.

Myoon sent a photo. Myoon, aka My Yoon, a name that Sohyun sets specially for her crush on phone, the Greenie always teases her that the name sounds like some nickname for couples. When she opens the photo, her smile fades, her heart sinks along. In the photo, her crush is nowhere to be seen, but a red haired girl, holding a cup, enjoying her coffee. It seems that Jiyoon was taking that photo from far though. Yet, Sohyun has no idea how to response. Not that this is her first time to go through Jiyoon meeting a new girl, the younger blonde girl cannot handle every single time it happens to her. A break, she needs a break to think, how to response, how to react or even how to breathe right now. Her head goes numb, tics build inside of her stomach and a lump gets stuck in . All the anxious feelings attack her at once. A thought of losing Jiyoon, a thought of Jiyoon holding that red head’s hand and a thought of Jiyoon ignoring her, kill her slowly. Her eyes reddened with tears. The blonde tries to hold her tears back, tries to get back on her regular breathing. She tries to act normal even there is no one watching her. The phone in her hand slowly drops on the couch. Vibrations keep buzzing, screen goes on and off, on and off. Twenty minutes later, the girl takes a deep breath before picking up her phone and read all the messages her crush spammed her. She scans every single word, feeling the joy from Jiyoon discovering her new inspiration. Once again, she becomes that best buddy to Jiyoon, only buddy.

 

04:33 P.M. Look what I found here? Inspiration!

04:33 P.M. Look at that red haired girl, isn’t she pretty and elegant?

04:35 P.M. Sunlight shines on her hair, she looks so flawless.

04:35 P.M. Where are you, Sohyun?! I need you to spam with me.

04:40 P.M. I’m so gonna compose a song here. She is truly my inspiration.

04:53 P.M. Guess what? I approached her, her name is Gayoon!

 

“Yes, your new addiction, Gayoon. And I can never be that person, ever.” Sohyun mumbles at the screen while typing “She’s pretty”. Other than that, she has no idea what else to type in. It is better to keep it short than replying long as she might rant her jealousy out. What she thinks for the best is to reply with short messages, showing her not-interested-side to her, hoping that Jiyoon will notice.

 

05:00 P.M. Ikr! Gotta go now, it’s my chance to get to know about this beautiful lady.

 

Then the musician is gone, again. Reading all the messages again, Sohyun can completely feel the joyful girl fascinating over the new girl named Gayoon. Once again, she is on her own, taking the consequence of having a one-sided love.

 

 

 

 

On the mountain, the sky is getting dark. A day will pass by soon but the musician did not waste her day since she finally comes up with an instrumental after spotting her new inspiration in the café. It did not take up much of her time to compose that. Once your inspiration comes, you can complete it within a few minutes. Lyrics are left to finish only. If she has to do a thankful speech, she would tell you that she composed a song and meet her the one… At least, the musician is able to catch her attention. The red haired lady sits alone at the corner, enjoying her coffee time, living in her own world. Every single movement seems like an artistic motion to the green haired musician. This is also what she called – inspiration. No matter what the red head does, taking a sip of her coffee, fixing her hair or maybe even just breathing, Jiyoon would find them all breath-taking. Not until their eyes meet, the musician was figuring out how to approach the lady without awkwardness. Her hazel eyes travel around at the view outside until they stop at the musician’s. It is a bit awkward for the first second but Jiyoon manages to show her warming smiles to ease the oddness. Probably a smile like hers can melt everyone, the red haired lady surprisingly returns a shy smile. It is more than a shock to the red haired herself actually, as she usually ignores strangers. Maybe the smile is a spell or maybe the smile is a something to break her spell, her indifferent spell. Now or never, Jiyoon takes the cue, bringing herself in front of her.

“Hi, travel alone?” As usual, the musician approaches first.

“Yes.” Due to the awkwardness or more like that she has no idea how to react to such ambitious girl, she nods nervously. Their eye contact breaks once Jiyoon finds her seat opposite her inspiration goddess. Since then, the red haired lady focuses on her coffee, stirring it with a spoon.

“Maybe you shouldn’t stir anymore, it would possibly make it taste bad. By the way, I’m Jeon Jiyoon.” Again, the musician tries to turn the atmosphere better. However, it seems the red haired lady is too awkward to notice that she has not answered the question. Only has she kept drinking the coffee, avoiding eye contact. It keeps her wondering why she acts like this, this is definitely not the usual her.

“And your name?” Eventually, Jiyoon has to remind her.

“Gayoon. Just call me Gayoon.” The unusually shy lady finally makes an eye contact with the musician, replies. With the Q & A section, both get to know each other more, even most of the time is awkward. Somehow, Gayoon does envy the fact that Jiyoon is a free lance musician, can do whatever she wants; unlike her, she does all the work in the office, boring job. And somewhat it reminds her of her, the one she is still missing and hating.