Calling in a Favor

Call Me Baby

The ten members of EXO sprawled within their van in various forms of exhaustion as the made their way back to their dorms after a long day of performances and press meets and signing autographs. It was pitch black outside the windows of their van and there wasn't a single other vehicle to be seen on the long stretch of road. No words were shared and several dozed off as the drive dragged on in the night. Suddenly, with a putter and a wheeze, the van stopped its steady journey forward and rolled to a stop on the side of the road.

The few members that were asleep woke up as if by a sixth sense at the stillness of their van. Confused, they muttered amongst themselves to see if anyone knew what the problem was.

"Did we run out of gas?"

"No, remember we filled up before we left?"

"That's true..."

"Then what happened?"

"Maybe the van broke down."

"It is kinda old."

As they debated what was the problem, the driver got out of the van to see what was wrong and came back with a lackluster report, "I don't know why, but the engine is dead. I can't get it to start and I can't see what the problem is."

Murmurs of sleep-dazed shock were heard as the members realized that they were stranded.

"What tow company is open at two in the morning?"

"I don't even know who would come out this far."

"I think I know someone who can help."

All eyes turned to Lay who had called out with what they hoped was a solution.

"I know someone," he explained, "I can call in a favor and have them pick us up."

With that, he quickly whipped out his phone to call whoever it was that he knew could help them. He spoke for a few minutes before hanging up and nodding in assurance to his friends who let out a breath they collectively had been holding. There was nothing more to do now, than wait.


"They're here!" Called out Chen, one of the few members still awake.

Everyone else woke up to see headlights approaching them. A tow truck pulled a harsh U-turn to come to a stop in front of the van and a drowsy looking figure emerged from the cab. Lay got up to approach them and instantly became engaged in a heated conversation that none of the others could hear. The mystery tow truck driver was waving their arms in an exasperated manner and pointing at the remaining members of EXO while Lay looked like he was trying his best to calm them. After quite a while, they seemed to come to an agreement and the driver began to hook up the van as Lay approached his friends.

"I'm gonna ride in the cab, the rest of you can get in the van," he said, looking somehow more exhausted than when he had left them just a minute ago. 

The men obliged and climbed into their broken down van as Lay went to sit with the driver. Once again, the van was filled with silence and the exhausted members of EXO dozed off one by one.


"Don't talk to me, Lay," an irritated mechanic growled in a low, sleep ridden voice.

"C'mon don't be like that!" Lay protested loudly, stirring some of his fellow band members.

"I wake up at three in the morning with a call from my old friend Zhang Yixing and I think 'finally he calls me after years! timing, but finally!' but you just want me for my tow truck," complained the mechanic as a few members of EXO stepped out of their van to watch the debacle between the two. 

"I know I should have called, but-" Lay started.

"Fight me Lay!" Shouted the mechanic and they threw their hat at Lay playfully, letting out a cascade of onyx black hair.

An audible gasp of surprise was heard at the other end of the garage and the two turned their heads to see the remaining members of EXO gathered by the van.

"It's a girl!'

"I thought it was a guy!"

"She's pretty."

Several murmurs of disbelief and shock sounded, among which was a proclamation by Baekhyun who stared at the girl with her arms crossed and her hip cocked.

"Guys, this is my friend Minji," Lay said softly, "we grew up together."

"Don't think you're gonna get a discount by calling me a friend," Minji looked up at Lay with deathly eyes behind which hid a light of amusement.

"Are you mad at me for not calling until now?" Lay asked seriously despite Minji's playfullness.

"I'd like to be mad at you, but I'm far too happy to see you." Minji shrugged. "I am, however, mad that I woke up at three in the morning to drive your dumb asses here. That's definitely gonna cost you damn near a fortune."

"How much we talkin'" Lay raised an eyebrow.

"Well you've got to pay for the after hours job, the transportation, the diagnosis, and a new engine along with installation," she listed off on her fingers with a smirk.

"A new engine?" Lay inquired.

"Yeah this van had a ty engine so it blew," Minji explained. "Oh and also you'll have to pay for the shipping of the engine."

"You've got to be kidding me," Lay sighed, tilting his head back slightly and pinching the bridge of his nose.

"100 percent serious," Minji nodded curtly.

"The company is gonna kill us," Lay groaned.

"Nah, they're used to my rates," Minji shrugged casually.

"What?" Lay turned to her quickly.

"I'm the best damn mechanic this side of the Pacific," she grinned, "I do a lot of work for big companies."

"So you work for SM regularly?" Lay questioned.

"And JYP and YG and Cube Entertainment to name a few," Minji shrugged again.

"So if you're their mechanic, how come the van had a bad engine?" Baekhyun spoke up.

"That piece of garbage is no work of mine," Minji said, jerking her thumb behind her towards the van, "they probably tried to find someone to do the job for cheaper and look what that got them."

"How long will it take to fix?" Suho asked.

"Eh, a week tops," Minji made a non committal sound and waved her hand in an uncertain motion.

"Minji," Lay said suddenly with urgency.

"What," she looked up at her friend, not even posing it as a question.

"What time is it?" 

"Maybe like eleven I don't even know," Minji shrugged.

"," cursed Tao.

"We've go to be at a radio show at 11:30," Lay made a face, worried, "how are we going to get there?"

"Relax, nerd," Minji rolled her eyes, "I already called the company. I have a van here that I can use and I'll drive you for the day. So get in and buckle the hell up."

 

 



A/N:

So I'm sorry that this chapter is mostly just introduction and nothing of actual substance, but it was getting too long to add the next part on. I promise I will try my best to get more actual story into the next chapter. I'm also sorry it took me so long to write this cause I kept wanting to put actual story in and not knowing how to do so without making it too long. Please bear with me and your comments are always appreciated!