Chapter 8

I Love Pandas

My eyes slowly opened again and I glanced at the clock. 5 PM. I had been out for the whole day…

 

“Hey.” I turned to see Kris. He was sitting behind his desk typing something fast on the computer. I shifted uncomfortably and rose to a sitting position.

 

“How are you feeling?” Kris looked at me.

 

“Tao, where is he?” I stood up quickly.

 

“He’s fine. He just has a bruised jaw and nose. That’s all.”

 

“Oh my god…” I covered my mouth.

 

“I called the police already. They haven’t found the man yet.” His eyes narrowed and he went back to typing.


“Where is Tao?” I asked again.

 

“He should still be in the exhibit. The sun hasn’t completely set yet, so he’s still a panda.”

 

“Excuse me.” I bowed and rushed out of the office.

 

 

 

I jammed the keys into the fence and pushed the door open, closing and locking it before running to the cave entrance. “Tao?” I looked inside. Tao slowly came out. The left side of his face was covered in a large bandage and the skin below his eyes were black and blue.

 

“Oh my god…” I bent down in front of him and carefully grazed the bandages with my fingertips.

 

A small sigh escaped from him and he just stared at me.

 

I sighed as well and rested my hand against his other cheek. “Thank you…you saved me back there.”

 

Tao leaned into my hand, softly.

 

Outside of the nearby window, the sun completely disappeared over the horizon. Right in front of my eyes, Tao transformed. His fur disappeared into his skin and his regular human figure appeared. I was so enthralled in the transformation that I didn’t realize my hand was still resting on his cheek. He glanced at it then back at me.

 

“O-oh! Hi.” I pulled my hand back and chuckled lightly. “T-that was amazing.”

 

“It’s not really…it’s good to see you’re awake.” Tao glanced at my hand for a second.

 

“Yeah…” I looked to the side, blushing.

 

“My clothes are in the cave, hold on.”

 

I kept my gaze to the side for few seconds until I heard Tao’s voice again.

 

“I can’t believe that man…I swear if I ever see him again, I’ll do more than bite his leg. It’s a miracle that you’re okay.” He sat back down in front of me fully clothed.

 

“Well it’s because of you. If you hadn’t interfered, who knows where I’d be right now…”

 

“I don’t even want to think about that. All that matters is you’re here with me—us.”

 

I blushed a little more. “Yeah…” My gaze moved to the bandage on his face. I suddenly leaned in and planted a gentle kiss on the bandage. “Thanks for saving me.” I looked away shyly.

 

“…d-don’t worry about it…any time.” Tao cleared his throat a little.

 

I slowly met his eyes. He slowly met mine. Neither of us said anything.

 

He reached for my hand and grasped it warmly. I took in a deep breath and smiled a little.

 

“I’m really glad you’re working here.” He started to lean in a little. His eyes were focused completely on my lips.

 

I chuckled a little and closed my eyes. “Me too.”

 

His lips touched mine gently. Then again. And again, slowly getting deeper. I gradually relaxed and scooted a little closer. He was kissing me very carefully, making sure his lips were completely caressing mine.

 

I heard footsteps near us.

 

“YOU!” Kris yelled suddenly.

 

Tao broke away from me and we both looked at Kris.

 

The zoo doors burst open and Kris ran toward it.

 

“Stop!!”

 

Tao looked at me. “Stay here.”

 

I nodded softly and he got up and ran after Kris. After a couple of seconds, I heard rustling and grunting.

 

“Not so fast!” Kris yelled.

 

“Let go of me!”

 

My heart stopped in my throat. It was the man who tried to chloroform me.

 

“You were the one who tried to kidnap Jill!” Kris yelled again.

 

“Your foolish establishment has no purpose other than to house a freak!

 

“What did you just call me?” Tao’s voice was low and deadly.

 

“You! I still can’t believe my eyes!” The man stuttered a little.

 

“What are you talking about?” Kris demanded.

 

“That person—panda—thing is a monster! He attacked me and harassed your worker!”


“I didn't harass her!!!”

 

“Be in denial all you want! How will she ever love a freak like you!?”

 

I heard some more rustling and the sound of a body being kicked to the ground.

 

“Don’t you ever call me that again!”

 

“You might as well stay there. I just called the police and they’re on their way.” Kris said.

 

“You will not get away with this! I’m going to tell the public all about you! The government will be on their way to take you away for testing and other horrible procedures!” A low, unhealthy chuckle sounded from the man.

 

“They’ll never believe you. You can’t prove anything.” Tao said adamantly.

 

“With my position in my company and the amount of money I have, I can make anyone believe anything I want.”

 

The sound of police sirens sounded in the distance.

 

“Something like this is too crazy to believe!” Kris shouted.

 

“You just wait! You just wait!”

 

Running footsteps and a mixture of shouting took over my hearing. After it died down, I slowly stood up and moved to the zoo entrance.

 

“He’s not seriously going to bribe people with money to get them to believe in my curse…right?” Tao asked.

 

“He couldn’t possibly do that. It’s just too crazy…” Kris didn’t sound too sure himself.

 

I walked up close behind them but they didn’t hear me yet.

 

“So you ‘harrassed’ Jill.” Kris turned to Tao with a look in his eye.

 

“I didn’t harass her! I would never do that!” Tao shouted back, getting red in the face.

 

“What did you do then?” Kris remained calm.

 

Tao looked away.

 

“I see.” Kris nodded.

 

“It’s not like she didn’t want to…”

 

“Mmhmm.”

 

“Oh come on, can’t you be a little happy for me?”

 

“I would if you’d stop talking about her all the time at home.”

 

“I’m sorry, but I just can’t help it!”

 

I quietly cleared my throat. The both of them jumped and turned around to face me.

 

“Jill! The police got him! They took him away!” Tao said a little too enthusiastically. His face was even redder.

 

“That’s great. He’s gone for good, right?” I looked at Kris.

 

“If plead guilty, yes.”

 

I sighed relieved. “Thank god.”

 

“He’ll pay for what he did to you.” Tao’s tone turned serious.

 

“And you too.” I eyed his bandage.

 

“It’s nothing, don’t worry about it.” He covered it with his hand.

 

“I’m gonna go finish some paperwork and lock up. Why don’t you two go to the roof? There are stairs leading up to it. You can get some fresh air.”

 

Me and Tao nodded and Tao motioned me to follow him to the stairs to the side of the zoo exhibit.