Chapter 17

I Love Pandas

We were on the road for what felt like an hour until the car slowed and stopped. The two mental hospital workers climbed out from the front truck seats and proceeded to walk around the truck. Tao disappeared from the window and there was complete silence.

 

“Are we there?” I asked quietly, trying to look out of the window. I could only see the dark, barren road and a lit building to my left. I could also see several small gas stations.

 

“It looks like we’ve stopped for gas.” Kris responded.

 

A loud punch and grunting sound suddenly sounded in front of us and the crinkling of car keys approached the truck door along with footsteps. The doors were opened and Tao motioned us to climb out. “The driver went into the gas station mart. We have to get out of here now!” Tao helped me get down from the truck and took the handcuffs off of my wrists, turning to Kris to do the same thing. I rubbed my wrists and looked down at the unconscious mental hospital worker.

 

“I can drive.” Kris held his hand out for the keys.

 

Tao handed them over and the three of us entered the truck again, Kris stepping into the driver seat and starting the truck. It sputtered a little before starting.

 

“But don’t we need gas?” I glanced at the gas levels. We had about a quarter of a tank left.

 

“It’s enough. We’ll drive as long as we can and then walk the rest of the way.” Kris pulled off into the main road and stepped on the gas, driving into the silent, dark night.

 

We drove in silence for a very long time. My gaze constantly focused on the clock. 10:35 PM. 11:15 PM. 11:20 PM. 12:45 AM. I was starting to get nervous. Once the sun came up, Tao would transform once again. We had several hours before that would happen but I could feel sleep starting to creep up on all of us. I sighed quietly and leaned my head back against the side of the truck. I was sitting in Tao’s lap because there were no back seats in the truck. He slowly wrapped his arms around my stomach and pulled me into him tightly.

 

“If you’re tired, sleep.” He said quietly.

 

I quickly shook my head. “I’m fine.”

 

“You’re a terrible liar.”

 

“I’m too on edge.”

 

“You’re not alone.” Kris added. He was blinking several times, trying to focus on the road.

 

I didn’t know where we were, but the barren, city-less land wouldn’t stop passing by us and we couldn’t see any kind of civilization coming up on the road in front of us.

 

“Then we should stop driving. Take a rest.” Tao looked at Kris.

 

Kris sighed after a few seconds. “Fine.” He pulled over on the side of the road and turned the car off, leaned back and rubbing his face.

 

“I need to walk around a little.” I said quietly and opened the passenger door.

 

I could see the moon hidden between some clouds in the night sky. It would be several hours before sunrise. Now that we are at this part of the journey, I felt a little better, but a part of me continued to be anxious. I started thinking about the mental hospital worker who discovered his co-worker unconscious and their truck gone at the gas station and all of the numbers he’s called during this time to send out an emergency call. Then I thought about the president who got his kicked by Tao quite embarrassingly and probably called the National Guard or something to track us down.

 

My mind cleared the instant I felt a hand touch my arm. I lowered my head a little as arms wrapped around my stomach again and a chin nuzzled in the crook of my neck.

 

“You look so worried right now.” Tao murmured in my ear.

 

I laughed dryly. “Can you blame me? We’re in a lot of trouble. Someone is bound to find us sooner or later at this point…”

 

“Jill. Stop worrying. We’re safe right now.”

 

“But what about later? What are we gonna do when the sun comes up?” I turned around to look at him.

 

He stared into my eyes and didn’t respond at first. “…we’re gonna be okay. All three of us.”

 

“What makes you so certain all of a sudden? Last time I talked to you, it sounded like you gave up.”

 

He blinked slowly and smiled softly. “I did give up. I was ready to die. But you saved me. You said you’d never give up on me, among other things.” He chuckled a little.

 

I blushed. “That’s what changed your mind?”

 

“Are you surprised?”

 

“A little…”

 

“When you said you would never give up on me…I found the strength to keep living.”

 

“…glad I could help.” I smiled a little.

 

“You gave me a reason to live.” He smoothed the hair on the side of my head.

 

“What reason?” I asked quietly.

 

He leaned in and kissed my lips. “I want to protect you.”

 

“I thought I was supposed to do that.” I chuckled a little.

 

He smirked and leaned in for another kiss. “We can protect each other.”

 

“That works.” I grinned.

 

I tilted my head a little as he met my lips again, pulling me closer and sighing through his nose contently. My arms traveled around his waist and up his back.

 

A loud horn surprised us both as we jerked our heads toward the truck. “We should get some rest!” Kris called out to us.

 

Tao sighed. “er.”

 

I laughed quietly and hugged him tight. “He is right though. It’s pretty late.”

 

“I don’t care.” Tao brushed his lips against my neck, making me shiver and back away giggling.

 

“Goodnight, panda.” I quickly ran back to the truck and climbed into the back.