Chapter 6

I Love Pandas

Kris handed me an envelope with my name on it. I smiled and put it in my bag. “Thanks.”

 

“Thank you. It’s really nice that you’re working here for so little. I really wish I could give you more but we have a really low income.”

 

“It’s fine, really. I’m having a lot of fun with this job, so don’t worry about it too much.”

 

“Alright.” Kris nodded.

 

“See you tomorrow.” I turned to the door.

 

“Jill?”

 

“Yes?” I turned back to Kris.

 

“…Thank you for helping me out with Tao. It’s…been a really hard couple of years. I’ve known him for a long time and I’ve had to watch him suffer because of his curse. I want to help him a lot but sometimes he resists me. He feels very depressed and moody these days, but since you came here to work…his mood is a little better. So…thank you.”

 

I blinked and smiled slowly. “You’re welcome. I want to help out as much as I can.”

 

Kris nodded. “I’m glad I hired you. I clearly made the right choice.”

 

I flushed and nodded quickly. “It’s my pleasure. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” I quickly opened the door and entered the hallway. I realized how important I was to the both of them and it made my heart warm up. I walked past the panda exhibit and peered inside. Tao wasn’t inside.

 

Figures. I walked out of the zoo entrance and looked around. It was night and the moon was set in the sky again. I saw Tao sitting in front of a small lake a short distance away from the zoo. I pinked a little and walked over to him.

 

“Hey.” I said quietly.

 

Tao turned around fast and stood up. “Oh, Jill! Are you going back home?”

 

“Yeah. I was thinking about ordering take-out.”

 

“Oh, good.” He nodded and smiled at me.

 

I nodded while looking at the ground.

 

“I would love to come with you. I’m so hungry…”

 

I looked at him. “But aren’t you going home with Kris?”

 

“One night away won’t hurt him.” He shrugged.

 

“I think he would mind a little.” I chuckled.

 

“But I want to go!” There was a playful whine in his voice.

 

I laughed. “I mean…wouldn’t it be kind of awkward?”

 

“Why?”

 

“I don’t know…we hardly know each other.” My gaze shifted back down to the ground.

 

“Isn’t eating take out together a way for us to get to know each other better?”

 

“What’s with your eyes?” I asked suddenly.

 

“What about them?” Tao blinked a couple times.

 

“They just…nevermind, forget it.” I waved my hands quickly.

 

“Do they intimidate you?” Tao asked quietly.

 

“N-no, it’s not that. It’s just…when you’re a panda…you seem so…” I shifted uncomfortably.

 

“It being a panda. I have to walk on all fours and I’m completely around the other women pandas. It’s embarrassing. They always comment on my body.”

 

I looked at him wide-eyed. “You can understand other pandas?”

 

“Well, yeah. They don’t speak like we do. It’s hard to explain. But I can understand them.”

 

“W-wow…” I was genuinely surprised.

 

We were both silent for several seconds.

 

“Well, I’m gonna get going. I’ll see you tomorrow.” I waved a little and took a step backward.

 

“Wait.”

 

I froze and looked at him.

 

“…can you bring me some of your left-over take out tomorrow? Eating bamboo all the time is really boring.”

 

I chuckled a little. “Alright, I will.”

 

He smiled and nodded. “Thanks.”

 

“See you later.” I waved again and turned around, letting out a small breath and trying to ignore my hot face and sped-up heart.