Chapter 14

I Love Pandas

I was jerked out of a twilight zone state-of-mind and my body was twitching all over. It felt like I drank an entire bottle of sweet chocolate milk and many many bags of semi-sweet chocolate. My head was also burning from pain. I never felt more uncomfortable than now.

 

“Good to see you’re awake.” A low voice sounded.

 

I slowly raised my head despite the many ticks from my arms and legs and tried to focus on the person standing in front of me.

 

He was a tall man wearing a black suit with short, combed back hair and dark shades over his eyes. He was standing calmly with his arms folded across his chest. “I’ve been waiting patiently for you to wake up so I can ask you some questions.” He said.

 

I coughed a little and blinked several times. “W-who are you?”

 

“I’ll ask my questions first. And if you don’t answer them honestly, you will be taken care of like your accomplice. Do you understand?”

 

I tried to narrow my eyes in a glare, but they wouldn’t stop twitching. I probably looked like an idiot.

 

“Now, tell me in full detail how you met the alien.”

 

Rage boiled inside me. “He’s NOT an alien! He’s a normal person like you and me!”

 

“Right. Tell me how you two met.”

 

“…I applied for a job in an all panda zoo as a zookeeper…”

 

“You met it there then? First in the panda form?”

 

I let out a small annoyed sigh. “Yes.”

 

“Continue.”

 

I shifted a little in my chair, trying to stop my body from twitching. “I met him as a panda first…and then his friend told me about his past. He was cursed to turn into a panda every night for the rest of his life. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to break it.”

 

“The spell you mean?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I see.” The man nodded slowly. “And from your little viral video on the internet, I am to understand that you and it had…physical contact?”

 

“If you want to put it that way, yeah.”

 

“Please elaborate on that.”

 

“I mean…there’s not much to say! We touched and my skin didn’t explode or anything!”

 

“It kissed you.”

 

I blushed a little. “So what?”

 

The man took a couple steps toward me. “You seemed to enjoy it quite well.”

 

“This is a little personal, isn’t it?!” I leaned back.

 

“I have one more question for you. Please explain to me why you are throwing your life away for it when you’ve been lied to and manipulated.”

 

“I wasn’t lied to and manipulated! I saw him transform in front of me! I know what I’ve been told is true because I witnessed it with my own eyes!”

 

“You never stopped to think that maybe what you’ve been told wasn’t true? Made up in order to create a certain outcome? Think about that for a moment.”

 

I bit my lip in frustration. “I already told you I know it’s the truth! You guys are just scared because you don’t know his full story!”

 

“Believe me, we completely understand his story. He’s already told us.”

 

My eyes widened. “Wh-what time is it?”

 

“A little after 9:30 PM. It is in its human form now.”

 

“I want to talk to him!” I straightened up.

 

The man sighed. “You just don’t understand, don’t you.”

 

“No I understand perfectly! You are in charge of a system that is content on letting its people live in contentment and god-forbid if anything were to come out of the ordinary into our world, it must be stopped!”

 

The man leaned back against his desk. “Is that so?”

 

I glared hard at the man.

 

“Very interesting point of view you have.” He pressed button on top of his desk.

 

I want to talk to him!” I said very adamantly.

 

“I’m afraid that isn’t going to happen. Because you answered my questions too similarly like your friend, we have no other choice than to get the both of you committed.”

 

I stared at him in complete disbelief. Then the door behind me opened and footsteps came up behind the chair I was sitting in.

 

“Have a nice life, ma’am. I’m sure the local crazies will make good friends with you.” The man nodded politely.

 

“N-no!” I felt hands grab my shoulders and upper arms. I was pulled out of my seat and toward the exit of the room. “You can’t do this! Let me go!!” I was dragged into the dark hallway and the door closed. “LET ME GO!!” I slammed my food down on the guard behind me and he cried out in pain, momentarily relaxing his grip on my arms. I took the opportunity to pull away and dash down the hallway, the guards yelling at me from behind to stop. I made myself not look back as I ran down a flight of stairs and through multiple doors, taking left and right turns into doors that led to more hallways. The moment the guards footsteps died down behind me and disappeared completely, I slowed down and ran into the nearest room. It was a small room with a single window and a cold, metal floor. I quickly locked the door and backed away toward the window, sinking down the floor and catching my breath.