Chapter 4

I Love Pandas

“Here you go.” I handed the supply case back to Kris in his office.

 

“You did very well today.” He took them and placed it next to his desk.

 

“Thanks…” I rubbed the back of my neck looking at the floor.

 

“Something wrong?”

 

“…What is up with you and Tao? I mean, he wasn’t doing anything wrong by leaning on me…”

 

Kris sighed a little. “I didn’t mean to sound rude, but there is some stuff you don’t know and might not every know. This is one of them. It may seem odd that I’m talking to a panda and he understands me but I strongly urge you to let it go. Just continue with your work and you’ll be fine.”

 

I didn’t like that answer at all, but I agreed anyway. “Alright, see you tomorrow.”

 

He nodded at me and I stepped into the hallway. Something was very suspicious about his behavior. I passed by the panda exhibit and glanced in there. I counted the three women pandas and the littlest one sleeping on one of the tree branches up top. Then I looked into the cave where a small light illuminated the inside.

 

Tao wasn’t in there.

 

My eyes froze on the cave. Then footsteps sounded from down the hall.

 

My head turned to the side. “Kris?”

 

There was no response. The sound of a door being closed was heard.

 

“Yeah?” Kris answered me.

 

“Um..is someone else with you?”

 

“What?”

 

There was complete silence. No footsteps or voices.

 

“Who’s there?” I started walking down the hall back toward the office. I saw Kris standing outside of his office.

 

“Jill, I’ll take care of it.” He grabbed my arm.

 

“…I’m coming with you.” I pulled out of his grasp and continued down the hall.

 

“J-Jill!” Kris came up from behind me and grabbed my arm again. “You aren’t in a high enough ranking to handle this.”

 

“I don’t know what you mean by that and I want to see what’s going on. Not to be rude or anything, but you’ve been acting pretty suspicious lately.” I pulled out of his grasp again and walked faster.

 

“No, Jill!”

 

I turned the corner and stopped fast. A man was standing at the end of the hall with his back turned to me. “Hey! Who are you?”

 

The man was frozen in place and acted as if he didn’t hear me.

 

Kris caught up next to my side and sighed heavily. “God damnit…”

 

The man slowly turned around to face me. He had dark circles under his eyes and wore a simple dark blue shirt and skinny jeans. His black hair glimmered in the light a little. He looked like his was in his 20s.

 

I blinked and slowly turned to Kris.

 

“…I guess there’s no more use hiding it…” He took a deep breath and straightened up. “Jill?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

Kris motioned toward the man. “That’s Tao.”

 

The man stared at my face quietly.

 

I cocked my head. “He’s named after the panda?”

 

“No…he…”

 

“I am the panda.” The man said.


“Yes…he’s the panda.” Kris looked back at me slowly.

 

I looked from Kris to the man to Kris again and laughed a little. They both stared at me dead seriously.

 

My expression slowly dropped. “Wait…you’re serious?”

 

Kris nodded slowly. “Yeah, this is Tao.”

 

I stared at him with a half open mouth, having a very hard time taking it in. “S-so…that other night………that was you!?” I stared at Tao.

 

“I become a human at night.” He sighed.

 

“It’s a curse. This zoo is the only way he can sort of live a normal life.” Kris added.

 

I was really having trouble accepting this. “Wait wait, this is a curse!?”

 

“Yes. It’s been happening ever since he was young.” Kris looked at Tao.


I forgot how to speak for a moment. “Is there a way to...break it?”

 

“No, we haven’t found it yet.... unless.....” Tao slowly met my eyes.

 

“Don’t say it Tao.” Kris said lowly.

 

“Kiss from my true love might work?”

 

“And he says it anyway.” Kris mumbled.

 

I blinked and flushed a little. “H-how can you know for sure?”

 

“Hey, it’s worth a try.”

 

“No, we’re not trying that. It’s not that anyway.” Kris stated.

 

“Well there must be something that can break it!” I lowered my head deep in thought.

 

“There is something. We just don’t know what it is.” Tao said.

 

“What have you tried?” I looked at him.

 

Tao lowered his head.

 

“That’s a bit of a touch story.” Kris said. “I’ve tried to help as much as I could and we’ve tried many different ways to end curses…but nothing has worked.” Kris straightened up and sighed a little. “Look, I need to lock up for tonight. We need to go home and rest.”

 

“Already?” Tao looked from Kris to me.

 

“Yes, already.”

 

“Oh…” I was a little disappointed.

 

“Can she come with us?” Tao looked at Kris.

 

“She has her own house. Let’s go.” Kris walked over to Tao and took his arm.

 

“Oh, come on!”

 

“I don’t want to drag you out of here.” Kris’s voice was like that of a tired parent.

 

“…Do it.” Tao challenged.

 

Kris looked at him hard. “Tao. Let’s. Go.”

 

Tao stared back at him, then dropped his head. “Fine..”

 

I couldn’t help but chuckle a little. Their behavior was just like how they were acting this morning.


Kris suddenly turned to me. “Don’t tell anyone about what we told you. Understand?”

 

“Oh, of course! My lips are sealed!”

 

“…good. See you tomorrow.”

 

“Right…”

 

Tao glanced behind him and met my eyes. His eyes were the same as when he was a fluffy panda. I saw the exact same emotions running through them. It was then I knew that they were telling the truth. We stared at each other for several seconds.

 

“Am I going to have to take your cake away?! Stop looking at her!” Kris shouted.

 

I quickly looked down. “S-see you tomorrow.” I turned around and walked away, hearing the bickering between the two.