Learn to Fly

An Angel's Tale

I'm sitting at my desk staring into Jonghyun's office through it's glass walls. He has been sitting there for well over an hour, doing nothing but look down at the papers on his desk. I guess I'm not much better since I have been sitting here just as long simply staring at him. Jonghyun is the perfect angel; hard working, efficent, thorough. That's how he has risen in rank so quickly. He is still what you'd consider a 'young angel', most angels who have worked for as many years as he has are still stuck in the bottom of the barrel. Stuck with the "dirty" work of collecting souls without having any say at all. But Jonghyun is different, he has managed to impress each one of his superiors and seniors. He is believed to go far, maybe even as far as to the absolute top at the head office.
All he seems to do these days though is look through papers, he rarely collect or have any contact with the humans. Jungshin gather that the promotions for angels are more like demotions. As I watch Jonghyun I can't say I disagree. He has changed alot since I met him, since he killed me. He is a better angel now, more machine than human. We have grown apart as the years pass, he is still my friend but our relationship isn't at all as it once was. He is closer with Jungshin now, Jungshin who seems to be able to bring out the best parts in anyone. I always enjoy watching Jomghyun with him, it's like the old Jonghyun, the less robotic Jonghyun is back for a short time.

"Yonghwaaaa man! Where's your puppy?", Jungshin appears next to me out of thin air.
His sudden joyful greeting jolts me back to reality, it's a wonder I don't fall off my chair as I jump high in surprise. Jungshin loves to appear without warning and watch how you react. I should be used to it by now, always being prepared for him to appear. But there is no use, no matter how much you try to prepare for it you still end up flying in the air out of shock.
"I left him by the vault", I reply as I regain my composure.
My "puppy", Minhyuk of course.
Jungshin sits down on my desk with a huge grin on his face, obviously satisfied with the reaction he got out of me.
"Ah, bootcamp has started!", he starts playing with a pen on my desk. "It's alot kinder than a steep cliff that's for sure."
"I guess", I mumble in respons.
A steep cliff, that's how Jonghyun did it. Kicking you out of the nest, teaching you how to "fly".
Transporting, that's one of your first lessons. Not that I would call it a lesson... A new angel is simply left somewhere, a steep cliff, the vault, where ever your mentor see fit. You aren't given a lesson on what to do, or even an explanation of what it is you are ment to do. Left all on your own you are suppose to figure it out yourself.
Left someplace where you desperatly don't want to be, it's the best way, or rather the fastest but those two are the same right?, to teach an angel to transport. A steep cliff can be very effective in making you get out by any means necessary believe me.

"When did you leave him?", Jungshin asks while still toying with the pen.
"About 6 hours ago", I sigh.
This could be a long wait, my first time took close to nine hours.
"Let's hope he is a quick learner then!", Jungshin grins at my misfortune.
"Yea", I mumble not too convinced that he is.
"Well I have some REAL work to do! You just hang in there bro, I'm sure he will turn up soon", Jungshin stands up from my desk letting the pen go. He gives me a quick pat on the shoulder for encouragement before he is gone.

I go back to staring at Jonghyun who hasn't moved an inch. I sigh and lean on to my desk with closed eyes.
I must have fallen asleep coz the next thing I know I hear a loud crash as a table full of office supplies is knocked over. It's Minhyuk. 'Such a graceful landing...' I think to myself as I stand up and walk towards a somewhat startled Minhyuk.
"It took you 15 hours", I say as I look at the clock on the wall. "That must be some kind of record!"
Minhyuk stares at me with shocked eyes but before he has the chance to compose himself and realise what has just happened I put my hand on his shoulder and transport both of us back to the vault.
"Let's see how long it will take you this time", is all I tell Minhyuk before transporting myself back to the office, leaving him alone at the vault again. It's quite a cruel process if you ask me, but this is how Jonghyun taught me, with the extra "thrill" of a steep fall into oblivion. We all learn in the end, the art of transportation, so I guess it's a good enough method.

I sit back down on my office chair were I have spent the last 15 or so hours. I would probably have more than enough time to collect some souls while I wait for Minhyuk, but you never know when he might appear even if just by pure luck. And I have to be here to transport him back when he does, over and over again until he is skilled enough to transport back and forth with complete control. I am probably in for a long wait, I have never heard of anyone taking as long as 15 hours on their first go and his second will most likely not be much better.

"Yonghwaaaa!", an all too familiar voice greets me. "Dude he is still at the vault!" Jungshin turns my chair, with me on it, to face him. "I went to your part of the wall, the poor puppy is completely lost" Jungshin chuckles in amusement.
"It's his second time", I say in defence. I don't know why but I really want Minhyuk to succeed and do well. Maybe it's just to get that smug smile off of Jungshin's face.
"Oh, but still. You are in for a long wait. But don't worry bro, I will keep you company", Jungshin takes a chair and places it next to mine and then sit down. "How about som cards?"
"Yea sure", waiting with Jungshin will no doubt be insufferable but it beats spending hours alone half asleep at my desk.
"Let's play for souls!", Jungshin says cheerfully.
Playing for souls meaning the loser will have to collect souls for the winner. Something you'd think Jungshin would actually want since he enjoys it so.
"You will lose on purpose then", I say mockingly.
"No worries, I will just give you the boring souls!", Jungshin winks and takes out a deck of cards from his suit pocket. He is a real gambler so he always keeps a deck of cards with him in case there is an oppurtunity to play with someone. 
"I'll deal! Buy in at three souls", he shuffles the cards before he hands them out and grins as he looks at his cards.
"How you ever manage to lose with that poker face beats me!", I mock him.
"Yah! My face always looks like this, no matter what cards I hold", he snorts back.
I chuckle, he does have a good point. I look down at my cards, a pretty decent hand. Pair in eights as well as a queen and an ace.
"So how long has it been since you dropped off the puppy?", Jungshin asks while revealing his cards.
"Four hours ago or so", I reply with a smirk as I reveal my cards which easily beats Jungshin's.
"Damn!", Jungshin exclaims in frustration before picking up all the cards on the table and starts shuffling them. "I guess the vault isn't as effective as a tiny ledge on a god damn cliff!"
"I guess not", I mumble in reply. Jungshin was very fast in learning transportation, his first time only took close to six hours and his second took little more than two. He was fast with learning everything actually, a natural born angel, unlike me...

After a few hours of playing cards, me winning a lot but Jungshin winning more, we are interrupted by a small crash. I lift my head to see Minhyuk standing on top of a table.
"He did not just land on a table!", Jungshin exclaims while laughing hysterically.
"You really need to get better with your landings", I chuckle and join in with Jungshin.
"What the hell is going on!?!", Minhyuk shouts out in annoyens while he gets down from the table. "If you leave me at that god damn place again you will be sorry!", he angrily walks towards me and Jungshin who can't stop laughing at the miserable kid.
"Maybe you should take him to the cliff next time then?", Jungshin muses. I just laugh at his remark and the now almost fuming Minhyuk.
"What do you think you are doing!?!? You can't just leave me like that, you didn't even tell me how to get back. I thought you were suppose to mentor me", Minhyuk scolds me.
"It's tough love kiddo", Jungshin stands up and puts an arm over Minhyuk's shoulders.
"I'm sorry Minhyuk, but that's the way we learn. You have already gotten back here twice all on your own right? You are learning!", I try to cheer him up.
"I'm learning!?!?! I just spent hours at some ing wall! No one told me anything. I didn't know where I was, how I'd get away from there or even IF I'd get away from there!", Minhyuk goes on with his scolding growing more and more aggravated.
"Don't worry, I will take care of this puppy", Jungshin tells me with a grin on his face before he disappears with Minhyuk.

A few minutes later Jungshin returns on his own, looking very proud of himself.
"Where did you leave him?", I ask.
"Somewhere perfect!", is the only reply I get.