Angels

An Angel's Tale

Narrators POV

 

Angels: A spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God, conventionally represented in human form with wings and a long robe - FALSE

The angels role may be to teach, command, or inform individuals of their destiny. They may also act to protect or help people - FALSE

Angels aren't at all what you think, the myths and stories are all filled with false information. Let me give you a crash course in angels and what they actually are.

"Angel" is pretty much a line of work; like doctor, carpenter or professional football player. It's obviously very different from other jobs but the basics of being given a task and being expected to complete it with professionalism and excellence is the same. In modern times the whole operation of angels has become similar to that of a big cooperation. There is a hierarchy with directors, middle management and common workers etc. There is even a strict dress code which only allows a sleak black suit with a white shirt and tie.

The world is divided into regions with offices in every major city. Yes, offices! These offices are located in modern buildings as expected for a big and successful business. The buildings in themselves isn't exactly invisible to mortals, if you really try hard to see them you will, it's just that most of you don’t notice them.

Every office has it's own head director which oversees all the work handled by it's "staff" and reports to the regions main office. The head directors only deal with angels and has basically no contact with mortals or the "mortal-world". They are old angels who have spent centuries as workers lower down in the business hierarchy. Not all angels are promoted to head directors, or even middle management as centuries pass, only those most fit for the position, it's quite competetive actually. 

The regions main office is simply the office in which the region director sits, most commenly in the largest city located within the region. The region directors collect reports from all of the offices in the region and make sure each one is proficient enough. They report directly to the head office. No one knows much about the head office but that's where all the major decisions are made.

I'm sure I'm boring you with this whole business structure so I will skip to the levels which are responsible for the actual work done for the mortals. First I should probably tell you what this "work" actually is because it's very different from what you mostly hear. Mortals seem to believe that angels are their saviours and guardians, I'm afraid that's not the case. What angels actually do might scare you. There is no grim reaper or devil, it's the angels that bring you death. They rarely actually kill a mortal, you mortals are so good at killing each other, they simply take you away. In lack of a better word, they take your soul. Not to heaven though, if heaven do exist the angels have no clue of where. No, they take your soul to their vault. Nobody really knows where the vault is located, it's like there is a built in sense in every angel of where to transport without them actually knowing where it is. Everyone ends up in the vault; saints, murderers, plain Janes. It dosen't matter how you lived your life, there is only one destination your soul will go after death. No one knows what happens to the souls when they are put into the vault, the angels open the doors and throws them in but they never enter.
This is what most angels do, these angels are the "working ants" of the angelic organisation, or the bottom of the pack so to speak.

Now you pretty much know what angels do so let me tell you what they actually are.

All angels were once simple mortals like you. For some reason they got the attention from the "angel scouts" and ended up as angels. The best and easiest way to describe what an angel is, is that they are a soul trapped in limbo. They are bodyless souls which are kept from moving on, forced to stay in the world of the living. You might think that they are blessed, that being an angel is an amazing gift, to live forever. To some angels it is, in the beginning. But it never lasts. Angels live for what you might feel is eternity, and they don't live with love. They live with death. An eternity filled with pain and death. And what do they get for it? Nothing, absolutely nothing. All angels eventually "die", they fall. When an angel falls its soul is ripped into pieces. Their souls aren't allowed to join the rest in the great vault. No, it's destroyed, never to exist again. Some think that with time these pieces from all the fallen angels find each other to create new souls. But nobody actually knows.

The average age of when an angel is "taken" is early to mid 40'is. It varies depending on the angel who does the reqruitment. Some are impatient and take them early, some are thorough and spend many years observing a mortal before taking them, some simply prefer a certain age. There is however an age limit, you aren't allowed to take someone younger than 20 years old. This is to make sure that the soul has had time to muture and "find" itself. Not everyone is fit for the work of angels, it's important to make sure who are and only take them. Otherwise the operation will suffer and work less efficently

As if living for eternity as an angel, a bringer of death, wasn't enough they are also robbed of the life of a mortal. No one is born an angel, no one is destined to become one. It's simply recruitment, involuntary recruitment. The angels spot you, they see something they can make use of. They will observe you for years, making sure you are fit to join them. But they wont protect you, they wont help you in any way, they simply observe. If you get into trouble, if you die, they do nothing, no matter how good an angel you would be to them. They don't care, you are just one on the list of many. Mortals, angels; they are all replaceable, insignificant.

If you finally make the cut, if they decide they want you; then they'll kill you. They will stab you in the heart without hesitation. Everything you had, everything you were they take from you. A broken soul, a pained soul; it wont do. If you have nothing to lose then they don't want you. Only those happy and satisfied in life are taken, only those who wants nothing more than to stay alive. Angels aren't loving, caring, understanding. They are efficent, they are ruthless.

In the beginning there weren't many angels. They were few, dedicated, proud. But that changed. Many workers will produce more than a few; more souls, less time. Making angels dosen't cost much, not for an angel. There are thousands, all over the world. Millions of mortals are watched every day, potential angels, if you’re "lucky" you might be one of them.

Now you know the basics about angels. I'm sorry to tell you that they are nothing like in the stories. You are on your own, no one is sitting on your shoulder keeping you safe.