The Beginning

An Angel's Tale

It's quite enyojable to study him; the nervous way he holds his body, the way even the smallest thing seem to spook him, the confusion and innocence in his eyes. It's all so alien, yet so familiar. I was the same, a long time ago I stood where he is standing, felt what he is feeling.
I stare at Minhyuk who is standing awkwardly in the middle of the room. Time changes so much, soon he will be as the rest of us. Empty, cold, inhuman. We forget so fast, all those little things that seemed so important when we were living. Given enough time nothing is important, nothing really matters. You don't realise it until it's taken from you, the blessing of an end, death. Watching Minhyuk helps me remember, it helps me grasp onto the tiny traces of humanity still in me.

I wish I could stay here like this, watching Minhyuk, studying his every movement and expression. Trying to remember how it felt. But I can't, it's time to work.  
"Let's get started", this time I actually wait for Minhyuk to respond instead of just transporting him somewhere.
"Start what?", he looks at me with distant eyes. It's like he isn't really here, lost some place else.
"Work. You're an angel now, you need to work as one of us", I try to sound comforting to make him feel safe with me. Safe with me who killed him... "It will be better when you understand. When you see what you are, what you are ment to do."
"Right", he answers still distant.
He is standing right infront of me but he is so far away. How will I be able to reach him, he is so broken, how am I suppose to fix him?
"Let's go", he says with a monotone voice and starts walking towards the door.
I reach out and stop him with my hand on his shoulder.
"Not that way"
I transport both of us before he has the chance to turn around and look at me.

 

We appear in the middle of a chaotic scene. A young girl is lying on the ground fighting for her breath. She is surrounded by a group of people on their knees, they try to help her breathe but it's no use. I have seen it many times; desperation, panic, grief. It's always "messy",
"She is dying!?!?", Minhyuk who is standing next to me exclaims in shock.
"Yes", I answer him calmly.
I look at him, he is pale, very pale. He looks petrified, he looks like the people surrounding the dying girl.
"Save her!", he almost shouts in his desperation.
"I can't", I look back at the scene of the dying girl.
"What do you mean?!?! You're an angel! Save her!", he looks at me with wide eyes.
"That's not what we are here for", I look back at him.
"Not what we are here for?!?! You must save her!", he takes a few steps towards the girl and the surrounding people.
This is it, this is the moment when he will realise that angels aren't divine beings set out to protect you, to save you. This is when he will realise that good and bad are the same.
"Angels don't give life Minhyuk, we take it", I try to sound sympathetic.
"No!", he looks back at me with tears streaming down his face
He runs up to the young girl, he tries to touch her, help her breathe but there is no use. Angels can't be seen, we can't be touched. His hands go straight through her like she is nothing but air. He screams, it's a heartbreaking scream. It touches me, it makes me feel. Something. I can't remember this feeling, it disturbs me.
Minhyuk is leaning over the girl, as if trying to embrace her.
"She is gone", I walk up to him.
I look down at him. He dosen't even know her, she is no one to him. Why is he feeling so strongly? Why is he breaking apart for her? Life is precious, yours, the ones you love, I can understand that. But there are so many lives, how can you care about one which you have never been a part of? I don't understand this, I don't understand Minhyuk.

A light escapes from the girls dead body, the humans can't see it, only me and Minhyuk can. It's her soul, her true form. I follow it with my eyes, it takes the shape of the girl it once possessed.
"Minhyuk", I call his name without taking my eyes off the soul.
Minhyuk dosen't respond, he is still leaning over the girl's body, sobbing softly.
"What happened to me?", the soul asks looking down at her own body.
Minhyuk looks up at the soft voice of the soul. His eyes are red and moist from his tears, he dosent seem to be crying anymore though.
"Y-y-you", he stutters while staring at the soul in disbelief.
"Who are you?", the soul asks looking at Minhyuk.
Instead of answering the question Minhyuk stands up and embraces the soul in a tight hug. Unlike the human body he can actually touch the soul. The soul looks a bit frightened at this strangers loving embrace, it looks at me with pleading eyes that seem to be asking me to get him off. But I do nothing, I simply observe. This must be comforting to him, hugging what seems to be the girl who died like air in his arms.
Was I the same? Did I also find comfort in lovingly hugging a stranger? Did I forget...

Minhyuk finally lets go of the soul and takes a step back. He is crying again, but this time he has a small smile on his lips.
"I thought you were gone", he smiles even bigger at the soul.
The soul looks at me with confused eyes and then back at Minhyuk.
"Do I know you?", it asks slightly tilting it's head.
"I saw you having trouble breathing, I ran up to you. You were dying", he sobs still smiling.
I look on, trying to understand the feelings, the relation building up between them. Do they not know? Do they not realise? She is dead, she IS gone. It's the end.

The soul looks down at it's former body, now covered by a jacket so you can't see the face.
"Am I dead?", she looks at Minhyuk with fear in her eyes.
"No, you are fine! I don't know how but you're fine!", he smiles again. He almost seem happy.
"She isn't Minhyuk", I look at him.
"She isn't what?", he turns and meet my eyes.
"She isn't fine. It's her ending, it's over. She is dead Minhyuk", I try to sound comforting. I don't know why but telling him, destroying his joy, it gives me pain.
"What are you talking about!?!? She is standing right here!", he motions the soul desperately clinging to hope.
I walk up to the soul, it's standing as if frozen into place staring at the dead body on the ground. I put my hand on the souls shoulder, it flashes and then it's gone. It's in my "container" ready to be dropped off at the great vault.
Minhyuk stares blankly at the spot where the soul stood just moments ago. He isn't crying, he isn't screaming, he isn't doing anything but stare into empty space.
"It has to end. At some point it has to end Minhyuk", I follow his gaze and look onto the spot where the soul was. "It's natural. You will understand."
"You are so cold", Minhyuk looks into my eyes.
"Yes", I simply reply staring back into his eyes which seem almost dead.