The Vault

An Angel's Tale

Minhyuk just stare as the paramedics arrives at the scene and take away the body. All the people who were standing around the dying girl are gone now. The spot which just a few minutes ago was the stage to a chaotic scene of despair and death is now empty, not a single trace of what just took place is left. That's how death works, it stirs panic and chaos only to in the end leave nothingness. I think that is what scares humans, the thought of something being there one minute and then gone the next.

"It's time to go", I say looking at Minhyuk. No reaction. "Our work here is done, there is no point in lingering"
"No point in lingering?!?! Did you not see what just happened?? A girl died, she must have been even younger than me, but she died. She just died", Minhyuk sounds so helpless and small as he speaks to me.
"She didn't just die. She suffocated, swelling and blocking her airways. It was probably caused by an allergic shock. It's quite common actually", I explain to Minhyuk.
By the way he turns and look at me I don't think that was what he wanted to hear. He reacts so differently, so unexpectedly to everything I show him. Is this how you are suppose to react, if you are human that is. Question everything, not accepting the cruel truth of it all. I have always cherished the parts of me that are still human, protected it. But as I watch Minhyuk I start to doubt there is anything human still in me.
"We must move on Minhyuk, we have work to do", I put my hand on his shoulder and transport us both without warning.

 

We appear at a huge stone wall. It goes on for as long as you can see to the right as well as the left, it stretches tall seemingly with no end. It's the vault. No one knows what lays beyond it, nothing but souls are able to pass through it, and souls don't come back to tell the tale. I don't even know where in the world it is, if it is in this world at all. I can transport here, like all angels can. No one taught us, it's pure instinct and no angel can explain it.

"What is this?", Minhyuk suddenly asks trying to find an end of the immense wall with his eyes.
"If anything can be called heaven, then this is it. Or hell if you prefer.", I look at him with a smile. I'm relieved that he asked, it's a question I can understand, it's a reaction I expect.
"Heaven?", he takes his eyes away from the wall and looks at me.
"Yes. This is where the soul goes when the mortal body dies. This is "life after death"", I look up at the wall. It still amazes me, after all this time, all these visits it still leaves me breathless as I admire it's vastness.
"How? It's nothing but a wall, there is no one here but you and me", he says.
"This is simply the gate. What lies beyond the wall where we cannot see, where we can never be, that's the afterlife"
"I don't understand", Minhyuk reaches out and touches the wall. "How can it be a gate when there are no doors?"
"A soul does not need a door", I say with a smile as I release the soul of the young girl we just collected.
A light, which can't be described as anything else you've ever seen, escapes my body. It no longer looks like the human body that died, it's shapeless, it's beautiful. It hovers between me and Minhyuk for a few seconds before it darts through the wall with ease and disappears.
"That was her", it's more of a statement than a question coming from Minhyuk.
"Yes"
He could feel it too, the presence of the girl in the light. When at the vault there is no way to recognise a soul by sight, they are nothing but light. It’s a feeling that angels have, a feeling of familiarty, that helps us know it.
"Will she be at peace now?", Minhyuk stares at the part of the wall where the soul just disappeared.
"At peace?" He still can't let her go?!? Before today he had never seen her, he dosen't even know her name, but he is still concerned whether or not she is at peace. Why? "I don't know", I look at Minhyuk in confusion. 
Why does he care what happens to the soul of a stranger? We collect the souls, we bring them to the vault and realease them, what happens next is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with us.
"Oh", Minhyuk sounds disappointed at my lack of an answer.
"Why do you care?", I look at him hoping to understand him better. To understand what I once was.
"Why don't you?", Minhyuk looks at me with judgement in his eyes.
"I don't know. Am I suppose to?", I feel unsettled by the way Minhyuk looks at me, the way he sees me. It effects me for some reason, what he thinks of me. It's strange... I have only known him for a few hours, why does he matter, why do I care? Is it the same as what he feels with the girl who just died? It dosen't make sense.
"I guess not. It seems I know nothing of angels", he stares at the wall while speaking."I guess they aren't suppose to care, to feel for someone else."
"Is that bad?", I still don't understand. Am I wrong not to? Are we wrong not to?
"Why do you ask me?", he looks away from the wall and into my eyes. "You are the teacher right? You are the one to teach me, to make me into an angel. Into you. My answers are of no importance."
He is right. He is to become like me, an angel, not the other way around. But how come I long for nothing more then to become more like him, to become human again?