Minhyuk

An Angel's Tale

"Hey Yonghwa!", Jonghyun shouts across the room as he sees me enter. "There is this kid I have been watching for a while, I think he is old enough, could you go and get him for me?"

Old enough, old enough to become an angel that is. Senior angels like Jonghyun spend their days scouting for new victims, oh I'm sorry, I ment "choosen ones". Those lucky few that are given the blessing of becoming an angel.

"Yea sure, where can I find him?", I walk up to Jonghyun's desk, not overly thrilled about the task he has given me.

"Here", he hands me a piece of paper with an adress on it.

"Right", I lazily say and take the paper.

'Ilsan' I read off the note, well it's close at least. Not that it matters anyways, it's not like I'm driving there. And no, I'm not flying there either. This whole wings-thing is just false advertising to make angels seem more divine. In reality we teleport, pretty much right ontop of the person we are coming for. It would be such a pain if we had to worry about locked doors and such.

"Why are you still here?", Jonghyun looks up from his papers at me.

"I'm not", I quickly reply and teleport to the adress on the note.

 

It's a small apartment, the kitchen is nothing more than a corner in the living area. The living area which happens to be the hall as well. There is a huge drumset to one side, it pretty much takes up a third of the room. 'How inconvenient', I mumble to myself. In the middle of the room there is a sofa and a decently sized tv.

The "kid" I am here to get is currently standing in the kitchen corner popping popcorn. He is young, very young. I guess "old enough" dosen't really mean the same to me as it does Jonghyun. I shouldn't be surprised though, I was young too when Jonghyun came for me.
Sitting on the sofa is a young girl, she is quite pretty with long dark hair and big brown eyes. I guess she is his girlfriend.

As I eye the young girl in the sofa the kid hops next to her, wrapping his arm around her and handing her some popcorn. Definitely his girlfriend! He reaches for the remote control and starts a movie on the tv. I sigh, I guess she will be staying for a while. I sit down on the sofa next to him, the sofa isn't that big and the couple is taking up most of it. It dosen't matter though, I could be sitting on them and they wouldn't know.
I look to the tv; a romcom, how original.... I sigh again out of boredom. I could take the kid right here and now, I should take him now really. But making someone an angel includes killing them first. I would much rather spare the girl of the pain watching her boyfriend die, it will hurt enough just losing him.

One hour, two hours, three hours... Does she live here or something?!? She couldn't, this place is way too small for two people, especially with that stupid drumset taking up all the space.
They have just finished watching their second movie, this one even worse than the first. I feel hopeful that she will finally leave and go home, but that hope quickly vanishes. They cuddle together even closer than they have the whole evening, how that is possible beats me. It's like they are glued together. Young love I guess. I roll my eyes as the kid tickles the girl softly and start teasing her for being soooo adorable. Oh god my eyes! Can't she just leave already!?!?

As I'm about to nod off after I don't know how many hours of lovey-dovey next to me on the sofa the door bell rings. I almost jump at the sound completely unaware of my surroundings. I get back to reality as I see the kid walk towards the door and opening it. I stand up and walk next to him. Is this the girls ride home?, I think to myself. It's a young boy standing outside the apartment, probably the same age as the "loving couple".
To my frustration the kid stands aside and lets the boy in closing the door behind him. 'This is ing ridiculous!' My patience has finally run out and I pull out the knife from my pocket. With one strong I pierce the kids heart, he falls to the ground lifeless. The girl screams and runs up to him, the boy grabs his phone and calls for an ambulance.
'I tried to spare you from this', I say to the girl even though she wont hear me. 'You shouldn’t have stayed so late at your boyfriends apartment'.
I pull out a piece of cloth from my pocket and whipe off the blood from the knife before putting both things back into my pocket again. The paramedics wont see any wound or blood, none of them will, they will think he died out of natural causes. An unfortunate young boy with a weak heart that finally gave in.

I have to wait for a few minutes, the soul is slow at realising that it's vessel is dead and worthless. Finally the soul escapes the dead body and stands next to the horrible scene of grief and panic. The soul looks just like the kid did while he was alive, it's just that now I'm the only one that can see him. And he can finally see me.

He looks at the dead body that was his, his inconsolable girlfriend and his panicked friend who keeps shouting into the phone.

"I waited. I tried to spare her, but she wouldn't leave", I say calmly. 

The kid looks up at me with terror, his eyes filled with fear and despair.

"We have to go", I say and put my hand on his shoulder before transporting out of the apartment. 

When we enter, or rather "appear" in Jonghyun's office he is sitting just like I left him hours ago, with his face buried in papers. This time however, Jungshin is there too. He is leaning on Jonghyun's desk and staring up at the ceiling, he looks bored to death.

"There you are! Finally", Jonghyun says and looks up at me.

"He had company", I reply to explain why it took so long. 

"You can take him even when he has company you know", Jungshin snorts.

"I know, I just prefer them to be alone", I reply looking at Jungshin. 

"You are such a softy Yonghwa", he tells me with a big smile.

"So this is Minhyuk?", Jonghyun suddenly says, more of a statement than a question. 

Both me and Jungshin follow his eyes and look at the frightened young boy standing next to me.