The Suit

An Angel's Tale

All three of us stare at the kid waiting for him to say something. He looks even more frightend now. And why wouldn't he; he just saw his dead body held in the arms of his grieving girlfriend, his friend desperately calling for help, and now he is standing in an unfamiliar place being stared down by three strangers like a piece of meat at the market.

 "Where am I?", he finally manage to stutter.

"In heaven!", Jonghyun exclaims cheerfully, obviously happy that the kid finally spoke.

"A bussiness building in Seoul", I correct Jonghyun.

"Heaven is a bussiness building in Seoul?", the kid asks in shock.

"And in Tokyo, and in Paris, and in New York and so on", Jungshin adds with a grin, confusing the kid even more.

"This isn't heaven", I glare at the other two.

"But we are angels", Jonghyun says with a huge smile.

There is no such thing as heaven, but since mortals believe that angels live in heaven Jonghyun usually calls our offices heaven since that is were we actually live.

 "Angels?", the kid eyes all of us with disbelief in his eyes.

"I'm Jonghyun, that's Jungshin", Jonghyun says pointing at Jungshin. "And that's Yonghwa, he will be your mentor", he says motioning me with his eyes.

"What???", I ask Jonghyun in schock.

I have never mentored anyone before, I'm still a very young angel and mentoring is usually left to more experienced angels. Jonghyun himself is very young to have the position he has so I guess he dosen't really care much about experience.

"Ah bummer dude!", Jungshin tells me with faked sympathy. 

Jungshin is very competitive and he actually likes watching people die and collecting their souls. So for him having to waste time on teaching a new angel would be really dull. I don't really care, I don't mind not being able to collect many souls, it's just a job and I could just as well be doing something else. And I guess now I am.

"What are you talking about!?!?", the kid almost shouts in confusion.

"Oh I forgot to tell you. Minhyuk, you are an angel now", Jonghyun tells him with a confident smile.

Minhyuk looks around at us like we are insane. A common reaction, it's always amusing to see though. I can't help but smile a bit at his desperate expression. 

"Get him a suit, he can't be dressed like that", Jonghyun says after a couple of minutes of just staring at each other.

"Are you serious?!?! You just told me that I'm some kind of freaking angel and then you diss the way I dress!?!", Minhyuk bursts out with his mouth wide open in shock. 

"There is a very strict dress code you know", Jungshin says putting his arm on Minhyuk's shoulders. "It will be suits for the rest of eternity for you kiddo!"

Minhyuk quickly squirms free from Jungshin's grip. Jungshin just laughs at him.

"You'll look handsome in a suit I'm sure", Jonghyun reasures Minhyuk as he sits down at his desk.

I don't really think it's the way he looks that concerns Minhyuk the most at the moment but Jonghyun has always been bad at picking up on feelings and thoughts of others.

"Don't worry Minhyuk, I will explain everything to you", I look at him with a smile. "Suits just makes us look more professional and proper when we meet the mortals. So just please change into a suit so we can begin your training."

 "I don't understand any of this!!!", Minhyuk exclaims in desperation. 

"That's why you have Yonghwa to help you", Jonghyun tells him.

"You are so screwed kiddo! Yonghwa couldn't teach a fish to swim!", Jungshin mocks me with a laugh.

I leap towards him but before I can catch him he is already gone, transported some where far away. Me and Jungshin are actually great friends and we do this kind of teasing with each other all the time. Even Jonghyun is in on the teasing with mean comments and playful fighting. All three of us are pretty even matched, though Jonghyun has a very clear off switch, when working he is always serious. Jungshin is never "off" though, he is quite childish and see our whole existence as a game. It's refreshing, I think Jungshin might be the only thing keeping me somewhat "human". I can't even imagine how dried up and cold Jonghyun would be by now if he didn't have Jungshin. Most angels are cold and emotionless, more like robots than humans. Robots usually are more efficent, without feelings and fears limiting them. And we angels are nothing if not efficent!

"Yonghwa...", Jonghyun adresses me from behind his desk.

He dosen't need to say anything else for me to understand what he's thinking. I have this tendency of not rushing things and staying in a place longer than I should. Like me waiting hours in a tiny apartment to stab a poor kid in the heart. Jonghyun dosen't really share this laid back philosphy of mine and get quite frustrated with me when I take my time.

I quickly put my hand on Minhyuk's shoulder and transport us out of Jonghyun's office before he starts complaining.

 

 

"So.. what size are you?", I look through the suits hanging in the room where I just transported myself and Minhyuk.

He dosen't reply, he is just standing there like a deer caught in the head lights.

"This should fit you fine. Now change", I throw a suit as well as a white shirt to Minhyuk.

I don't know how he manages to catch the clothes since he didn't seem to keep any attention to me or what I was doing, but somehow he catches them with no problems at all. I motion him to a small closet space inside the room since he seems too shy to change infront of me. Without a word he walks into the closet closing the door behind him.
After a couple of minutes he comes out again dressed in the suit and holding his old cloths in his hands.

"Perfect!", I note kinda proud that I got the size right even though he didn't tell me. "Now choose a tie", I motion to the ties, it looks to be thousands of them hanging together but I have no idea how many there actually are.

"They are all the same", Minhyuk says a bit confused as he takes a look at some of the identical black ties infront of him.

"Yepp, but you still gotta choose just one", I take his old cloths from his hands.

"Where do you get all these ties and suits anyways", he asks as he takes one of the ties and put it around his neck.

He seems to have calmed down a lot now which really pleases me. Caring about where you get your clothes is a very trivial thing so he must feel somewhat comfortable. It will be easier on all of us if he accepts his fate fast and lets go of the life he used to have. I'm not so sure he will though, this kid seems very emotional and questioning. I don't think he will just "go with the flow" as this whole thing settles in and he starts to realise what is actually happening to him. Only time will tell.

"Well technically we steal them", I answer his question and start walking towards the door of the room.

"You what?!?!", he exclaims in surprise.

"We don't really have any choice, there are no angel tailors and to be honest it would be redicilous if there were", I throw Minhyuk's old cloths in a bin before exiting the room.

Minhyuk obediently follow me like a little puppy with his master. I can see him glancing into the bin as he passes, it probably upset him a bit that I threw away his clothes. He wont be needing them ever again though, for the rest of his existence he will be wearing that suit and tie. I look back at him and notice that his tie is simply hanging around his neck untied.

"You are suppose to tie it as well", I turn towards him and tie it for him. "Professional, remember?"

I don't know why but I kind of feel responsible for this kid. I guess it’s the guilt of killing him and taking away everything he was and everything he had. This must be what it's like being a father; teaching your kid about life, making sure he dresses properly and succeed in what he sets out to do. 

"There you go", I say letting go of his now tied tie.

Minhyuk however seems to be focusing on something completely different. With big eyes he stares out the windows that completely take up the walls on each side of the hallway. He slowly walks up to one of the windows and stare outside.

"Where are we???", he looks like he has seen a ghost or something else completely impossible. 

I walk up next to him and look out at the city beneath us. We are on the very top of a tall building located in the center of the busy city.

"London", I reply with a smile.