04.

Smile for me

Somehow Junmyeon had managed. He didn’t even know how he had been able to hold a conversation with Yixing for more than five minutes, and he had only stuttered once. Junmyeon was proud of himself, and he had given himself the biggest self high five ever for it.

 

“So… what do you do around here to entertain yourself?” was the first thing Joonmyeon had asked.

 

“Well, as you can see I can’t really do much” Yixing had answered with a hint of embarrassment in his voice.


Junmyeon was someone he knew. Maybe they hadn’t been close but the older knew who he was and how he had looked before being confined to the bandages. He didn’t know what he could have said if Junmyeon had asked about them.

And of course Junmyeon had wanted to ask about Yixing’s eyes. He was worried and angry. What had happened to him that had left him in such a state? Had it been an accident? Did someone do that to Yixing?

From the moment he knew who the other person in the room was Junmyeon had decided that he was gonna try and make things better for Yixing and that if whatever had happened to him was someone’s fault he was gonna make that someone’s life miserable.
But of course Junmyeon had been wiser and had kept his thoughts to himself. He had kept it cool and had managed to not come off as a creep in the first real conversation he had ever had with the guy of his dreams.

 

“I listen to music most of the time, since I’m pretty much limited to that only”

“Just music? Are you not allowed to get up?” Junmyeon had had the idea of keep the conversation going, and ask a question here and there to get Yixing to tell him about his condition without Junmyeon having to ask him directly.
 

“Oh, no. I can. It’s just that I can’t do it alone, since I don’t know where I’m going. But sometimes Minseok takes me out for walks, but not long ones because he has to work”
 

Yixing was giving away some things, but not enough to even make a guess.

 

“Well, maybe I could take you out for a walk one of these days”

 

“I… I don’t want to be a bother”

“You’re not. I’m the one offering. I bet it would be nice to do something different” Junmyeon had left his bed and had made his way towards Yixing’s one “And if you ever need anything don’t doubt to ask me”

 

One of the advantages of not being able to see had been that his four other senses were amplified. So Yixing had heard when Junmyeon came closer. And he had heard the smile on Junmyeons voice, and it had been comforting. Junmyeon was just a couple months older than Yixing and they were both stucked in the hospital for who knows how long, so having Junmyeon there being all kind and friendly had been nice. And Yixing hadn’t felt uncomfortable around him, he had felt he could trust him.

 

“How long are you gonna stay here anyways?” had Yixing asked.

 

And little did Junmyeon know that Yixing had had the same idea as him.

 

“I don’t know. I was supposed to have surgery yesterday, but my doctor had to cancel. They told me that I’ll be going in sometime this week, so I’m not really sure about it”

 

So, a surgery? Yixing had really wanted to ask. Maybe Junmyeon had been way worse than what he had showed.

“How about you?”

 

“I don’t know, either. Maybe when they take this things off my face” Yixing really hadn’t wanted to keep talking about it, so he had just left it like that.

 

And Junmyeon had sensed Yixing’s discomfort so he had been quick to change the subject.

 

“So… what kind of music do you listen to?”

 

“A lot of things, actually. My music player must be somewhere around here, if you want to check it”

 

“Of course” Junmyeon had rushed to look for it.

He had been eager to see what kind of music Yixing was into. It was just another thing that he had wanted to add to the list of things he knew about the Chinese.

When he had finally found it he took it with him and sat on Yixing’s bed, next to his legs. Junmyeon had followed Yixing’s instructions until it was all set up.

They music player had been set on random so Junmyeon was a little surprised when he heard the first song that came up.


“Exo? Seriously? You like them?”

 

“Don’t judge me. There are actually pretty good and have really good songs”

“Oh my god. You are one of those fans that is like in love with them, don’t you?”

 

His silence had given Yixing away, and Junmyeon knew he was right.

 

“Come on, don’t hide it. I know you’re blushing under all this stuff”

“Oh, shut up. I bet you have a guilty pleasure too”

“Well, just to make things fair… I like A Pink”


And Junmyeon had died and gone to heaven because he could swear Yixing’s laugh was one of the best things in the world.

They had kept going through Yixing’s playlist and talking about music until Minseok came into the room with their food.

Junmyeon hadn’t believe he had spent all morning having a real conversation with Yixing (a.k.a. the love of his life).

 

“Hey, guys. I see you two are getting along”

“Of course we do, Minnie. I’m just that charming” said Yixing.

 

He had resorted to joking to try and lighten the mood so Minseok wouldn’t feel too uncomfortable around him after the whole telling him about his failing relationship with Jongdae situation.

 

“Yeah, sure. Like I’m gonna believe that. Junmyeon, what kind of lies has he been feeding you with?”

 

“Yah. I’m offended”

 

“Whatever, Xing-xing”

 

Junmyeon had stored the music player and moved back to his own bed while Minseok had given the patients their tray filled whatever they were having that day.

 

“At least you both are better than old man Kim and his new roommate”

 

“Don’t be mean, Jonghyun is not that old”

“Well, he sure don’t act like the 34 year old he is”

 

“Who did he end up with, any ways”

“Some old boyfriend he had when he was in college. His name is Kibeong… Kibum… or something like that. Apparently they didn’t end up well so now they just won’t stop bickering”

 

Yixing and Minseok had kept talking until both Yixing and Junmyeon were done eating.

If he was honest, Junmyeon had felt like an intruder. Yixing and Minseok looked so comfortable around each other, and they even talked like they had been friends for years instead of a nurse and a patient with an eight year old gap between them.

 

After Minseok had left Junmyeon just didn’t know how to restart a conversation with Yixing. But fortunately for him and his lack of conversational abilities around cute guys, Yixing had been the one starting a conversation the second time around.

 

“Were you here long before changing rooms?”
 

Yixing had thought that maybe he could continue getting to know more about Junmyeon.


“No, just a couple days. And you?”

“I’ve been here for three weeks now”

“Wow. That’s a while”

“Yeah. If it wasn’t for Minseok I would have gone crazy already”

“He seems really nice”

 

Junmyeon had wanted to take every opportunity he could to learn more about Yixing.

He just couldn’t get enough of the Chinese.

 

“He is. He even sneaks in candies for me” and before Junmyeon could ask something else Yixing had hurried ad asked “So what did you do to entertain yourself the days you’ve been here? I bet you have plenty more options than I do”

 

That had been the moment when Junmyeon realized that although Yixing talked freely about his bandaged face and inability to see he avoided talking about the cause of it.

 

“Not really. I can’t move around that much so I just read or sleep most of the time”

 

“What kind of books do you read?”

 

Yixing wasn’t that much into reading, he preferred music and dancing. But now that his eyes were pretty much useless he had found himself missing it.

 

“Whatever I can get a hold of. My friends visit me regularly and every single time they do they bring a new book with them for me”

“Would you… mind reading something for me… sometime?”

 

Yixing hadn’t heard a response from Junmyeon but he could hear he was moving.

Junmyeon had gotten some of the books he had with him and went to sit on the same spot he had been on that same morning.

 

“Is there anything specific you want me to read?”

 

Yixing was surprised, he hadn’t expected that Junmyeon would agree to it.

 

“Um... anything is fine… I guess… um… whatever you want to read is fine with me”

 

Suddenly, Yixing didn’t hear Junmyeon. He had known that the other was there because he had felt something close to his legs.

“Uh… It’s okay if you don’t want to… I mean, you don’t have…”
 

“No… no… it’s not that… I’m sorry. I just spaced out for a second”

 

Junmyeon had wanted to face palm himself so hard in that moment. Everything had been smooth until then, what the hell had happened to him?

 

Oh, yeah. A cute shy Yixing —a new one for Junmyeon. That had happened.

Junmyeon took one of the books randomly and he started reading aloud for Yixing.

He had stopped a couple times when they took a break to use the bathroom, and finally when a nurse had come into the room with dinner. But it hadn’t been the one they were expecting.

 

“Where’s Minseok?” Yixing asked after the nurse had given them their trays and introduced himself as Tao.

 

“He had an emergency and left earlier. But whatever you need you can just ask me”

 

“Yes. Thank you”

 

That had made Yixing worried. Minseok himself had told Yixing that he had never missed a day of work. Why would he disappear all of a sudden? Did something happened with Jongdae?  Yixing couldn’t have done anything but hope that everything had been alright and that Jongdae hadn’t done anything wrong.

 

Minseok always stayed with Yixing while he was eating just in case he needed help, but that wasn’t part of his job, so after Tao had given them their food he left.

Junmyeon had been quick and offered his help.

 

“No, it’s okay. You’ve done nothing but help me all day”

“It’s fine. I don’t mind. I’m used to helping Chanyeol with his food. He’s always such a messy eater”

 

“I’m starting to get why they call you Suho”

 

They had eaten in silence. And Jumyeon had took advantage of the fact that Yixing couldn’t see him to observe the Chinese.

Even if his face was covered, Junmyeon still had thought of Yixing as nothing less than beautiful. It hadn’t been just his physical appearance—although Yixing was very good looking—it was everything about him.  And right there and then, looking at Yixing, Junmyeon realized how deeply in love he had fallen for the younger.

 Only then he realized how insignificant had been all the excuses he had made in the past to not approach Yixing. How easy it could have been from the beginning. How he could have done things right so long ago.

But he had a chance. He could make things right. And Junmyeon decided that he was gonna do the best he could to make the most of his new chance.
 

Tao had come back to take the empty trays and to give Junmyeon and Yixing their medicines. And as quiet as he had come, he left.

Lights were out and both patients had tried their best to fall asleep.

On one side, Junmyeon had been replaying scenarios in his head of how he could woo Yixing.

And on the other side, Yixing had been thinking about his nightmares. What if he had another one and Junmyeon heard? Would he freak out? Yixing had implored to anything and everything that he could have a nightmare-free sleep.

In those three weeks he had learned to deal with the nightmares, but he didn’t want Junmyeon to know about them. He had really taken a like to the older and he didn’t want to weird him out.









 

While Yixing and Junmyeon were trying to rest in the hospital, Minseok had been going out of the apartment he had shared with Jongdae. One suitcase clasped in one hand and a key in the other one. He had locked the door and starting walking away from the place he once had called home. Tears had been pooling in his eyes, but he hadn’t left them fall, he had wanted to be strong. But still, he looked back just once.

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this chapter took me a while, but is much longer than the others so you can't complain. :p
I told you it was gonna get better.

Once again, thank you for the comments and the subscriptions.
They are a few, but they make me extremely happy. :v

I love you all. (n_n)v