01.

Smile for me

“Hey, little hummingbird” Don’t call me that. I hate it.

 

“Come on, cutie. Sing a little for us” You’re disgusting.

 

“Don’t be scared. We’re friends” Why are you doing this to me?

 

“Don’t try to scream. You’ll only make it worst for you” Please, stop.

 

Please.

 

 

 

Another nightmare.

His hands were shaking and he was panting. And the worst part was that he couldn’t tell if it was night or day, the bandages covering his eyes didn’t let in any type of light. Not that he could have seen much anyway.

He doesn’t even know how long he stays there trying to calm himself.

 

“Hey. You’re finally awake. Doctor Wu’s been waiting for you”

 

Yixing knows that voice. It was Minseok, the nurse that he had been assigned to.

He passes by Yixing’s room four or five times a day. Mostly, he is the one who checks his medicines and serves his food, but when the days are slow he stays and chat with Yixing for a while. Sometimes he sneak in candies and share them with Xing-xing, like he likes to call him. Minseok liked to think that they were some sort of friends, even when he was the one doing the talking most of the time.

That’s how Yixing came to know that Minseok is 25 years old, lives with his boyfriend who, in his words, is a hottie named Jongdae and works as a cardiologist in that same hospital.

Even though he didn’t like to talk much, Yixing really likes Minseok. His rambling about all type of stuff always makes him smile, and Yixing is a er for sweets so the candies really made way for Minseok into his heart.

 

“What time is it?”

 

“Eight in the morning. Here, have some water.” Yixing felt the plastic cup with water being put into his hands, so he rushed to drink from it. The nightmares really take a toll on him.

 

“Why is the doctor waiting for me?” he asks when he finished drinking.

 

“Apparently you’re getting a roommate”

 

That’s how their conversations always started. Short and concise. Minseok was busy checking Yixing’s vitals and making sure he take his medicines after eating, only when that was done he would let himself relax a bit and start a real talk with the patient.

 

“I really don’t know much about the whole thing. Doctor Wu came around like half an hour ago to talk to you about it but you were sleeping. He was gonna do a round before coming back, which shouldn’t be long from now”

 

Minseok sat on a chair next to Yixing while he waited for the patient to finish his breakfast.

 

“Is everything okay?”

 

“Yeah. Why are you interested all of a sudden?” Minseok furrowed his brow.

 

“You just sound… sad”

 

Yixing couldn’t see him but when Minseok sighed he could visualize him sitting sloppily on the chair with hunched shoulders.

 

“It’s just…” He didn’t even know where to start from. “I think Jongdae is breaking up with me”

 

Yixing was a little bit shocked. From what Minseok had told him they seem pretty much in love. Why would Jongdae end things just like that? Minseok said they had met two years ago when he had started working there as a nurse. He had assisted Jongdae in one surgery and since they worked well together Jongdae kept asking for him in his surgeries. They started to shamelessly flirt and ogle each other until Jongdae asked for a date. They moved in together 4 months into the relationship and they had been working things out around their busy schedules since then.

Minseok was happy, Chen made him happy. But lately Chen had been ignoring him. He didn’t answer his calls nor his texts and he haven’t even home in all week.

Minseok was debating between telling Yixing the full story or not when someone came into the room.

 

“Doctor Wu, good morning” He couldn’t say he wasn’t relieved that he didn’t have to share his thoughts now.

 

“Good morning, Minseok. Hey Yixing, long time no see”


“I’d say the same but I haven’t even see you once”


“You should really consider stop hanging around Minseok, his humor is starting to rub on you” The comment made both Minseok and Yixing chuckle.


“Well, what can I say? He gives me candy”

 

“Although I should say something about that, that’s not the reason I’m here. You see, Yixing, we’re running out of space and personal, so to be able to cope with what we have we are moving some patients. Which means that you’ll need to share the room with someone else”

 

“That’s fine by me. You’re the one that says that I should spend less time with Minseok. Maybe talking with someone else will bring me back a little sanity”

 

“Fine, then. Your new roommate will be transferred today. His name is Junmyeon, so be nice”

 

Doctor Wu left the room, and Minseok is eager to pick what was left from Yixing’s breakfast, give him his medicines and leave. He didn’t want him asking about Jongdae again. He didn’t know if he could have that conversation right there and then, just when he just started his shift. And Yixing gets it. He was just seventeen but he was not dumb, so he doesn’t ask.