{Hyeri}

Picturesque
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An Unexpected Encounter

 

"I don't think I can go, Chan," saying this in front of the mirror made me grumble in frustration. I'm already dressed, ready to go out, but after contemplating my decision of not going, I'm trying to come up with possible excuses to not go.

While tapping endlessly, after the fifth ring, Yura finally answered her phone.

"Give me an excuse!"

"What excuse?" her voice was husky like she just woke up from her nap.

I cupped my mouth in front of the mouth piece to make my voice as quiet as possible, "I don't want to go to the festival, but I have to. Now, help me."

"Well---"

The guys have barged in to my room, making me leap out of my bed, before I even heard Yura's reply.

"Hey, are you alright?" I overheard her from the other line.

"I'll call you later."

"Who are you talking to?" Baekhyun asked in suspicion.

Swallowing all of my courage, I stood up from my position, flattening the folds of my dress. Parting my lips, my heart felt as if it would jumped out of my chest any minute. I have to say that I couldn't go. 

I took a deep breath before facing the guys who were waiting for my answer. Their gleeful faces made me took a step back from my mission. I knew I couldn't do it. "No one. Let's go?" I grabbed my coat, cursing myself at the back of my head.

I didn't like being with so many people. People that I’m not familiar with. Ever since I was young, I have built walls around me and prevented myself to have deep relationships with them. It was all because of my trust issues. One day you'll find people smiling when they see you, but when their backs were turned to you, you won't know if they were still smiling.

I was staring outside the window. All of a sudden, the sound of the falling leaves gave me chills. It was different. It was somehow unsettling. I clenched my fists into a tight ball to prevent the idea from bothering me. I should just shook it off.

"Oh, come on, Hyeri. Do something for yourself. Have fun," noticing my sour expression, Chanyeol patted my cheek and turned the engine.

 

"Appa, fa-woks, fa-woks! (Fireworks)" the little girl gripped the hem of her father's sleeves, excitedly pulling him near the colorful images in the sky.

The older man chuckled, "We'll get there, Hyeri. We'll get there."

 

My mouth gaped in awe as I saw the town decorated with colorful lights hanging like banners; the upbeat percussive music filled the atmosphere despite of the people's chatter. The wind brushed against our faces, making us held unto our coats tighter.

"Their rice cakes here are the best!" Chanyeol informed as a matter-of-fact. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, walked beside him, scanning the surroundings. "Oh, and their udon, too," he pointed a stall that sells a hot bowl of noodles. He loved eating noodles.

"Guys, try their tteokbokki. It is so good!" with mouth mounted with fish cakes, Baekhyun offered us a plate which he bought a while ago. 

I was standing on my heels, swinging back and forth while synchronizing at the rhythm of the music. It had less accented beats that you could just sway to its tempo. I realized then that I was already humming its tune.

"Do you want something to eat, Hyeri?" Chanyeol moved closer to ask me. His voice was blended with the noise surrounding us, making it hard for me to hear him. I moved my hand in front of my mouth and leaned on Chanyeol's ear, “I want to eat chicken with beer." I told him.

"Wah~ me, too," Baekhyun whined. He had good hearing skills. Even though he was behind us, he could still hear my statement despite of the music and the voices at the background.

"Wipe your face, Baek. You look dumb right now," I giggled while pointing at his stained face. His face fell and his brows furrowed. "Now, you look even dumber," Chanyeol added fuel to the fire. We both laughed while the puppy couldn't protest.

"Let's look around first before we eat. Is that okay with you?" we all agreed to Chanyeol's idea before making our way on different stalls.

The thing about celebrations: although, people don't know each other, they still act

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter