Mark

Sophie & Mark

Mark

Mark gripped the strap of his shoulder bag tighter, already dreading the day before it even began. He didn't like new places. It was difficult to blend in when you’re new, especially now that he has red hair. He didn't know why he let his mom dyed his hair. He looked like Chuckie Finster from Rugrats. Not very complimentary in his honest opinion.   

But change was good he thought. After five years, he was finally able to move on. He could finally finish one bowl of cereal and half a carton of milk. His sleep extended by about 4 more hours and he even had time to play at least an hour of videogames during the day. It wasn’t much, but that was how he survived over the years. Although maybe not completely. He still sometimes woke up with her name on his lips. Sophie never gave back half of his heart. But whatever pieces he had left, he mended them, binding them together with sellotape and praying that they stayed together.

He made his way to his new locker, briefly glancing at his outfit. He was wearing Sophie’s favourite U2 t-shirt, and the oil stain of something she dropped on him staring back at him. Mark sighed. If only she stayed with him like the stain did...

Mark looked around the corridor, looking but not really seeing. That was until his eyes landed on someone rather familiar, and he felt the sharp tug at his heart. His throat went dry, and he straightened up. Maybe he shouldn’t have thought of her on his first day of university. Now he was imagining her standing there, gobsmack in the middle of the corridor.

He willed his eyes to blink once, then twice. Then when he saw that she was still standing there, he rubbed his eyes. They were playing tricks on him like a really bad April Fool joke. That couldn't possibly be Sophie. Busan was terribly far from Seoul, and she had told him that she was never coming back to the city. So what was she doing at Seoul University?

He pushed that question aside, and let his eyes wander to the top of her head, all the way down to tip of her toes. She looked different. She was skinnier, her black hair was longer too. But her pouty lips, her big brown orbs were just the way he remembered them, and he bit his tongue to prevent himself from calling out her name. He was dying to feel her name on his lips again, but he wasn’t sure she wanted that.

He wanted her in his arms, and his feet automatically made their way towards her. But the sudden crowd of students blocked his way and in that split second that he broke eye contact, she was gone.

Like five years ago. 


Chapter Posted on: 1st Apr 2015

Enjoy! Thanks guys for being my first 5 subscribers! =D