Anyang

Fireflies

CHAPTER SIX: Anyang


Tiffany had seen inexplicable things from the window in Geumto-dong. While she had not seen Taeyeon fighting, Yoona, who had been fighting on the street, had been in plain sight. Tiffany saw how Yoona took down ten men by herself, and then how Taeyeon's busted arm was healing in a day. Now she had questions for Firefly that Taeyeon actually wanted to answer. The Americans and the Koreans ate dinner together while Tiffany conducted her interview.

Sooyoung briefly explained that they were given more strength and speed, that their bodies were harder to injure, and even when wounded, they would heal much faster than regular humans. When Tiffany asked how the technology worked, Sooyoung told her that Yoona, Taeyeon and she didn't have the answers. The doctors were intrigued as well, but they soon realized that these soldiers couldn't satisfy their curiosity, so they backed off.

On the other hand, Jessica was interested for once. "And they just experimented on you without your permission?"

"Yeah, we were injured and out of it," Taeyeon said, eager to answer Jessica. "I guess our superiors selected us because we would be more useful enhanced."

"What kind of injuries did you sustain prior?" Tiffany asked.

"Sat in a Humvee that ran over a mine," Yoona said. "I had a collapsed lung, third degree burns all over, and a lot of broken bones."

"I was shot in the leg and wouldn't be able to walk properly," Sooyoung said.

"Had a concussion," Taeyeon said. The Americans raised their eyebrow at that. It was a recoverable injury that didn't seem to warrant a complete physical makeover. Taeyeon didn't think they needed to know that it was because she was Sooyoung's subordinate, and that Sooyoung had a pig of a father.

"How many other soldiers are there in this program?" Tiffany asked.

"It's just us," Yoona said.

"So they just tested whatever drug or surgery they did on three women?" Tiffany seemed furious, surely because of her western feminist upbringing.

"No," Sooyoung quickly said. "There were more men, but they didn't react well to the changes."

"What happened to them?"

"They're dead," Taeyeon said. "And one of them, a woman, is discharged from service."

"You're telling us that they grabbed a bunch of wounded people and forced them into this? Your government just killed them in the off chance they would become a 'better' kind of soldier?" Jessica asked. "How can they do that?"

"Yes," Tiffany said. "Aren't you angry?"

"Why would we be angry? We're able to protect our fellow countrymen, defeat more enemies, and withstand more attacks," Sooyoung said. Taeyeon kept silent at that. She had felt and done worst things since becoming a Firefly. Hyoyeon definitely hadn't asked for her new life either. She knew, however, that Sooyoung was right. They were doing good as Fireflies, much more than she could have in Sierra. Besides, who were these foreigners to judge them?

"They decided what to do with your life and body," Tiffany said. "Most people I know would resent that. How do you feel about it?"

"This isn't America. Don't impose your values on us," Sooyoung said. "It's an honor for us."

"Alright," Tiffany said. "I'm sorry if I seemed rude. I respect whatever you guys are saying and certainly don't think I know what's best. This is your country and your war, after all."

The interview ended with that. The sun was setting, and the amount of light filtering through the tree leaves was dimming fast. They went about setting up their tents quickly. The doctors had brought four-man tents. Jessica and Tiffany were sharing their own two-man tent. Sooyoung, Yoona and Taeyeon each had their own single-person tent. To Taeyeon's surprise, Jessica left Tiffany to set up their tent and came over to help Taeyeon with hers. "How's your elbow?"

Taeyeon moved her left arm. Jessica had sterilized and bandaged the gash earlier that day. The skin should have closed mostly, but the bones were still fractured, and twinged when she moved. "It's recovering. It should be back to normal by tomorrow."

Jessica nodded and unrolled Taeyeon's tent.

"Thanks," Taeyeon said.

"No problem." 

Taeyeon watched as Jessica hammered the hooks into the ground. It had been amazing how Jessica had kept her cool throughout the firefight. If she hadn't reacted that quickly and pulled Taeyeon away from the doorway, Taeyeon would probably be dead with that many bullets through her head. She's so hot...

"Jessica."

"Yes?"

"You did a really good job today, with the translating, and then when you helped me. Thanks."

"You don't have to keep thanking me or whatever," Jessica said. "Was just doing my job, like you."

Taeyeon grinned. Jessica made to move Taeyeon's assault pack into the tent, but Taeyeon used her good hand to pick it up. She turned to Jessica. "Have a good rest. We'll be traveling on foot a lot more tomorrow."

When she zipped up the tent all around her and stared up at the low canopy, Taeyeon shifted left and right, but there was no painless way to place her arm. In the darkness, she fished out her pocket flash light, turned it on, and bit it between her teeth as she rummaged around her bag. She popped a couple of painkillers and lay back down. She closed her eyes, but even when her arm hardly bothered her, her mind was still fully awake. Holy ing ... Sleep, you stupid idiot. Taeyeon lay in the narrow tent, listening to the night bugs trill. One jessica, two jessica, three jessica...

That night, Taeyeon dreamed that Tiffany suddenly wanted her own room, so she told Taeyeon to switch tents with her. Taeyeon pretended to think about it, and played it cool when she entered the double tent. Jessica, it turned out, was sleeping in nothing but a sports bra and shorts. Taeyeon lay stiffly beside her, until she told Taeyeon to relax and take off her shirt to get comfortable. Taeyeon didn't know why she was sweating when they were halfway up a mountain at this time of the year, but she obeyed Jessica. When she peeked out of the tent, she saw the outdoor basketball court she used to play at all the time in Jeonju. The sun was shining brightly, and her teammates were having a barbecue, which was why it was so hot. Taeyeon tapped Jessica's shoulder. "Are you up for some chicken?"

Taeyeon woke up. Yoona was prodding her with an amused smile. "I have a packet of chicken flavored ramen, but it's back at base."

Taeyeon groaned and crawled out of the tent. The others were waking up.

"How's your elbow?"

Taeyeon tested it again. A sharp pain spiked, but less painfully than she remembered. "Still needs time."

Yoona nodded and reached into Taeyeon's tent to get food rations out for her. Taeyeon chuckled when Yoona even bothered tearing the energy bar wrapper before placing it in her hand. 

When Sooyoung joined them for breakfast, she helped Taeyeon open her water bottle. "I know what that look is, Taeng. Don't even think about getting used to this."

After breakfast, they cleared out of the campsite and continued trekking up the mountain. Cheonggye was not large, and they would cross by lunch time. They avoided rocky cliffs and sticked to the easier forestry. Taeyeon walked at the end of the file to make sure that no one fell behind. There was no other danger walking in the dense foliage through the mountain.

They reached the peak of the mountain before noon, and Sooyoung decided that they could descend the mountain for another two hours before taking a break. Taeyeon took out her water bottle and was able to unscrew it for a short drink as she continued walking. On Cheonggye, they were far from the urban areas, and there was only the sound of nature. No gunfire, explosions or screaming. She liked this.

Every so often, Taeyeon noticed Jessica glancing back at her nonchalantly. Taeyeon wondered what the brunette was thinking. Her straight back and small shoulders cut a rather lonesome figure, although Jessica wasn't as indifferent to the people around her as she had been before yesterday. Finally, Taeyeon decided to speak up. "What's up?"

Jessica's eyes caught hers. "Are you thirsty?"

WHAT? Yes!

"I'll help you open your water bottle."

Oh... Taeyeon decided not to say anything as Jessica uncapped her bottle. 

The sun was threatening to set when they reached the base of mountain. The pain in her elbow had dulled, and the doctors were impressed when they looked over her arm. The Anyang Battalion Aid Station was at the intersection of Hagui and Burim streets, and they followed the stream that tail ended at Cheonggye Mountain to get to it. 

Taeyeon peeled off her bulletproof vest and her short sleeved fatigues. She took a quick cold shower in the staff bathroom before going to the living quarters. The aid station was basically set up in a large sports complex, and the staff stayed in the offices and locker rooms. Team Firefly, Tiffany and Jessica were staying in a cleared-out equipment room for the night. It still smelled of musty leather and old rubber, and Taeyeon felt nostalgic when she breathed in the air. Sooyoung smiled slightly when she entered the room too. 

When the Americans were out of the room, Taeyeon told Sooyoung and Yoona about Jessica's performance back in Geumto-dong. "If only we had a medical officer like her with us. We get injured all the time, but not critically, so we don't really need a doctor. It would be nice to have someone medical on the field."

"Yeah, it would," Sooyoung said. "Generally there's a shortage of hospital staff, but if Tiffany continues following us, I could enquire to see if Jessica joins as our field medic. If not, I could ask for a Korean. It might be easier since we wouldn't have to worry about confidentiality at all."

"Ah." Taeyeon didn't feel as enthusiastic about her own idea if it wasn't Jessica. She regretted bringing it up.

Yoona said, "I don't want it to be just anyone though. What if that person gets in the way?"

"Yeah." Taeyeon nodded her head vigorously. "They aren't trained soldiers."

Sooyoung shrugged. "Okay, we'll see how it turns out with Tiffany and Jessica. We can operate like how we've been doing. The current situation is pretty good already."

"Yep."

"It's a really good idea though, Taeng. Once missions start flooding in again, it's gonna be like last time, and it would be better to have a medic on hand instead of waiting for support after the backup platoons take over."

 


 

Jessica didn't come back from the shower, so Taeyeon went to find her. Jessica was sitting on the fourth level, on the highest row of bleachers. They were surrounding the four badminton courts on ground level that was covered with white tentage. Most patients were warded there. Taeyeon almost didn't see Jessica because it was so dark, even when she entered the stands, but she heard a sniff.

"Je-Jessica?"

Jessica wordlessly wiped her face and sullenly looked away. Taeyeon wondered if she should take the hint and leave Jessica alone. Then Jessica stood up and brushed past Taeyeon as she left.

Is she angry at me? Why? Taeyeon went after Jessica as they went out into the empty corridor.

Jessica stopped, and Taeyeon stared at her back. Jessica's voice was shaky. "What do you want?"

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No."

"Are you okay?" Taeyeon asked.

"I'm fine. Could you give me some time alone?"

"Of course."

Taeyeon watched as Jessica stalked off and turned into the female restroom up ahead. She sighed and walked to the stairwell. As she passed the restroom, however, she heard soft but harsh sobbing from inside. Taeyeon sat down just outside, leaning against the wall, as she listened to Jessica crying. Some people don't want to be disturbed when they're upset, but nobody likes to be alone. 

After a while, the crying calmed down. Taeyeon heard water running at a sink. Jessica walked out, her face fresh but her eyes puffy under the moonlight streaming in. She stared at Taeyeon. "What are you still doing here?"

Taeyeon got to her feet. "I don't know, but you don't have to tell me. Could I give you a hug?"

Jessica didn't protest when Taeyeon stepped forward and wrapped her arms around her. Jessica sobbed, and Taeyeon tightened her embrace. Jessica calmed down again and Taeyeon let go of her. She seemed to reach a decision internally.

"Taeyeon," Jessica said, her eyes no longer swimming with emotion. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No..."

"Do you like girls?"

Taeyeon tried to read Jessica's face, and saw someone who wanted to release pent up emotions. Jessica didn't think Taeyeon could comfort her emotionally, which was just fine by Taeyeon. Looks like the both of them wanted the same thing now. Jessica's personal issues took a back seat as Taeyeon leaned in and brushed her lips against Jessica's.

Almost immediately, Jessica pulled Taeyeon forward and kissed her furiously. Her tongue opened Taeyeon's mouth, and she backed Taeyeon into the window behind them. Taeyeon tasted the mint of a freshly brushed mouth and the saltiness of recent tears. This was the fastest progression to french kissing that she had experienced, and it was exhilerating. Jessica was aggressive, and Taeyeon kept up with her, running both hands down to Jessica's waist. Jessica slipped a hand down between Taeyeon's shorts and , and lit a fire with her fingers. Holy.... just... holy...

Taeyeon gasped for air and shivered under Jessica's hot touch. Jessica pulled out her hand, and grabbed one of the hands on her hip. She slipped Taeyeon's hand up her shirt. Jessica started trailing kisses from Taeyeon's jaw down her neck as Taeyeon lightly massaged the under her hand. They pressed against each other. 

When they were done, both of them were breathing heavily. Taeyeon felt her shirt sticking to her slick back. They went into the restroom to wash their face, and then quietly went back down to the equipment room in the basement level to sleep.

 


 

A/N: Thanks for the comments/upvotes/subscriptions last chapter. Get really motivated by them. Let me know how this one was!

A/N 2: The more important A/N... Happy birthday Jessica!