Hand Phones

Thinking Out Loud
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

XX

When the JYP manager-hyungs first told GOT7 that they would be losing their hand phones for the first year of debut, the unpopular announcement was met with the expected protestation and grumbling. 

 

Jackson was upset at first because he did not like the idea of not being able to communicate with his family.  However, once it was explained that he could use his manager hyung’s phone to make his daily phone calls to his parents, and that they could use that number to reach him whenever they wanted, he accepted JYP’s decision.  After all, it was all for the good of GOT7, eliminate distractions so that the rookie group could focus on having a successful year.

 

A few months in, and Jackson honestly did not have time to miss his hand phone much.  Other GOT7 members had a harder time adjusting, but he found that the dance practices, vocal lessons, music video recordings, and live stages took up most of his time.

 

His schedule got even fuller when he was cast in not one but two variety shows: Hitmaker and Roommate. Nevertheless, Jackson did not mind because the filming for both did not seem much like work to him at all.  He liked all the new friends he was making and even though he couldn’t join the Roommate line chat directly because of his lack of hand phone, Jackson still felt close to all his new roommates. Not the least of whom was one Heo Youngji from KARA. 

 

Although, KARA was a sunbae group, Youngji had just debuted as their new maknae member and she was a same aged friend.  These similarities and Youngji’s unassuming attitude made them fast friends. 

 

Jackson likes to tease and bother Youngji because she makes the cutest pouty expression when he manages to make her frustrated at him.  Plus, he likes the exasperated tone in her voice when she exclaims “Wang Jackson!” in annoyance. 

 

One of the first things, Jackson teases Youngji about is her 2G hand phone.  Since KARA members were staying in their own individual homes and not in a dorm, even during promotions, her company did not restrict her from having a hand phone, and Jackson did not understand why she chose a 2G one.  You can’t do much on a 2G phone: no line messaging, no surfing the internet, no fun games.  He had no phone and he didn’t envy her at all.

 

That all changed when Youngji “accidentally” spilled salad dressing on her 2G phone and rendered it even more useless than it was (it had limited capabilities to begin with). DSP bought her a new smart phone, which had become a source of jealousy for one Wang Jackson.  Though not for the reasons you might be thinking.

 

Youngji must have missed having a fancy smart phone more than she let on because ever since she got it, she hasn’t let it go.  It’s practically glued to her hand, each screen notification flash or ring or ding of a message distracts her, pulls her attention away from him.  He doesn’t like that one bit.  Who is she talking to so much anyway?  She needs to pay attention to the person in front of her, not her phone, regardless of whether that person is him or anybody else. Humph. 

 

She does let him borrow her phone whenever he wants though.  So, he guesses that’s one positive. 

 

The roommate guest of the week has yet to arrive and so, there is small window of downtime for the roommates to rest.  Jackson has borrowed Youngji’s phone and is currently sprawled on the main living room sofa, browsing through a Naver search on GOT7.  Youngji is busying herself with trying to teach Cucumber some new tricks.

 

The phone vibrates in his hand with a low buzz. A notification fills the screen. 

 

“Message from Kang Joon Oppa” it reads.

 

Curiosity fills him.  A bit of jealousy, too.

 

Truthfully, Jackson has not talked to nor seen his “roommate” in a long time. The drama Kang Joon stars in has kept him away from the filming of the last two Roommate episodes.  Since drama filming requires long hours, Jackson has been considerate and not bothered Kang Joon all this time with any pointless messa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter