(6/?)

[HunHan] Fast Forward, Stop, and Play.
CHAPTER 6: 
 

Sehun side-eyes Luhan from the driver's seat, tapping his fingers anxiously on the wheel. His companion's silence is grating on his nerves. They've been on the road for a good 5 minutes of so, and Luhan seems more engrossed with the passing scenery outside than with actual conversation. He feels like he's being ignored. 

"Can I drink that?" He suddenly asks Luhan, referring to the untouched milk tea on the cup holder beside his empty one. He reaches out for it, knowing very well Luhan will protest. 

"No!" the older one snaps, swatting his hand away from the cold drink, "It's for our guest." 

His lips break into a small smile; he keeps his eyes on the road. "You don't even know if whoever's going to hang out with us likes milk tea." 

"Then I guess you'd better tell me now who this mystery person is, so we can decide on the future of this yummy ice cold milky strawberry flavored drink." the older scoffs, but there is no heat in his voice.

His mouth waters at the mention of strawberries. As he considers Luhan's words, Kyungsoo's name gets stuck in his throat. "Umm.." How does one explain that he's now a guardian of a young boy? Or that he guiltily associates certain life choices with this very child - who looks up to him like he can do no wrong? 

"Someone call the doctor~" his phone rings, jolting him out of his thoughts. He takes out the wailing device from his coat pocket and answers the call.  

"Hello?" He gives Luhan a cursory glance. The older man is now playing with his own phone. Sehun trains his eyes back on the road. 

"Sehun, I can still pick up Kyungsoo if you wish. I am not used to not doing anything. This is not productive."

He smiles at Yunho's almost whining tone. His bodyguard usually doesn't let his feelings be known, but if one thing can crack his shell, it's being idle. "You deserve some rest, hyung. Meet with Jaejoong.. he's been discharged from the military recently." He makes a turn. They are another turn away from Kyungsoo's school. 

"How did you know that?" Yunho's voice is laced with surprise. "I don't recall~"

"Please, like you don't know I talk to Jaejoong-hyung." He rolls his eyes. He steps on the breaks gently, stopping at a red light. A hand taps his chin and he looks at Luhan. Luhan looks at him questioningly, mouthing "Yunho-hyung?". When he nods an affirmative, the older grabs the phone from his hand and talks into it immediately. "Hyung! It's me, Luhan.. I missed you! Where are you? I have milk tea."

"Yaah!" Sehun tries to grab his phone back, but the stop light turns green, leaving him with no choice but to concentrate on easing the car back in motion. Luhan places the phone on his other ear, away from Sehun's reach and sticks his tongue out; laughing lightly as Sehun frowns at the road ahead. "Fine." 

"Are you still babysitting Sehun? Isn't he too old already?" Luhan asks, then guffaws at what Sehun could only assume as Yunho's response. Sehun panics a little, not sure what his hyung is saying on the other line to his companion. But Yunho wasn't born yesterday.. he trusts him. Completely.  

"Oh.. so you're not the one meeting us? Ahh.. Of course, hyung. I promise. No, no.. I..."

Sehun bites the bottom of his lip as they enter the school grounds. 

 

*** *** *** 

 

Shanghai, 2008.


[Missed call, WU Yifan. 1:13am] 

YIFAN: Oh Sehun. I shouldn't be telling you this, but Luhan needs to see you. Jongin did something..

YIFAN: What is going on with you two?

YIFAN: Why haven't you called him?

YIFAN: YAHH OH SEHUN. I know you've read my messages. It seems we'll be here in Shanghai til Tuesday evening. 

YIFAN: Did you change your number again???

YIFAN: His parents are something else. 

YIFAN: Will be in my parent's condo. His family is staying at Raffles. Don't ask. 

YIFAN: Left a spare key for you at the lobby. I gave the concierge your name. And an ugly photo of you. Her name is Victoria. 

YIFAN: I take your silence as a yes that you're going to be here soon.  


Sehun sighs after scrolling down his message history and pockets his phone. He then looks at his sneakers, wondering what he's doing in Shanghai in the middle of the night. 

"Sehun, the taxi's here." Yunho calmly says, nudging him forward to an open car door. "It's chilly, we should get to Yifan's soon." 

He smiles at his bodyguard. Yunho had always been patient with his mood swings and indecisiveness. He's lucky the older man didn't protest to flying to Shanghai in a day's notice. 

"HEY! Oh Sehun!" A booming voice calls from behind them. A frown starts to form on his lips. He knows that voice. 

He and Yunho turn around to see a smiling Kim Jongin, carrying a huge black backpack, jogging towards them. Sehun looks behind the young man and concludes he's alone. He nods at his former football teammate in greeting, trying to not let his eyebrows furrow. "Hi." 

"Fancy seeing you here. Shouldn't you be in Tokyo, or something?" The other says, stopping a few feet away from the pair. He flips his hair and smirks at him. "You're a little too late, you know." 

Sehun feels his stomach drop. He steps forward towards Jongin, fists now clenched. "What the hell do you mean?" 

Jongin looks at Sehun, then Yunho. Then he shrugs to himself, like he doesn't care if other people are around to hear him. "Let's just say that a little birdy told Luhan's parents that he's more interested in me, than my sister." 

" you, Jongin!" Sehun lunges at Jongin, but strong arms wrap around him. 

"Sehun, no." Yunho whispers, "Not here."  

The young man laughs at them and barrels on, "He was quite receptive, I'd have to say. But he held out on me, the prick." He touches his swollen lips as if remembering something. "But don't get me wrong, I didn't say to his parents.. even if he did throw a mean punch." 

Sehun stops struggling against Yunho's tight hold. "Spill it, Jongin."

"I couldn't resist.. he was there.. all pretty and vunerable." he sighs melodramatically, "He kissed me and I went along with it. He punched me though, afterwards.. when I tried to take it up a notch. Tsk. He was so wasted."

He stares at Jongin, who is obvisouly enjoying the look of shock that is forming on his face. "My sister walked in on us when he socked me in the jaw. He was muttering something about wanting to find out if kissing another boy would help him get over you." Jongin says with dismissive wave of a hand, "It didn't take her long to realize that we were making out before that. She walked out." 

WHAT. 

Luhan kissed Jongin... The words float in his head.. Why would Luhan get himself in a situation like that? Why? He clenches and unclenches his fists. 

"Luhan's mom somehow got a hold of the idiot's phone and called Yuri right after. My stupid sister thought it was Luhan.. She ended up spilling her guts out about her thoughts of him and me face."

"What the~"

"So you can draw your own conclusions from there. Mrs. Han did not waste time talking to my parents. Anyhoo, they aren't too pleased.. so they'll probably ship me off to god knows where." Jongin gestures at his backpack,"While they're figuring out the logistics, I might as well mess with them and hide somewhere." He smirks at Yunho, then flashes Sehun a huge smile. "I'm off!" He doesn't wait for Sehun's response and simply turns around and lets himself in through the airport entrance's sliding doors. 

Sehun's mind goes numb and his shoulders slump.. He and Luhan never really had the chance to talk about what they were, really. Why did Luhan want to forget him? 

"Sehun-ssi.." 

"Hyung.." 

"Wasn't that the same guy that tried to hit on Luhan-ssi in Beijing way back.. after that one football club get-together?" 

He steps away from Yunho, shrugging his hyung's hands off of him as he tries to get his bearings back. He shakes his head and takes a deep breath. He cornered Jongin one time in between classes and warned the guy to stay away from Luhan... He doesn't even want to think about that anymore. "Do you think he's lying, hyung?" 

"I think he's very brazen." He hears the cautiousness in the older man's words. "I wouldn't put it past him." 

"You think?" his voice cracks. He stares down at his feet. Sehun recalls Mrs. Han's parting words over the phone. 


"Live your life there, Sehun. Date, get a girlfriend. Be normal. Let our Luhan be."


She knew. She knew even before he called Yifan. His mind swirls in confusion. "Maybe I shouldn't be here at all, you think?" 

Yunho's brows furrow in concern, lips in a grim line.. when the older moves forward to comfort Sehun, he stumbles back.. shaking his head. "This is nuts, I should leave." 

"Sehun~" Yunho starts, but is interrupted with the ringing of his phone. He fishes for it from his pocket and squints at the screen. "Stay here. It's your mom." He turns around and distances himself from Sehun.

Sehun sinks into one of the seats nearby.. Sighing as he checks his phone for new messages. 

 

YIFAN: Where are you? Waiting here at my place. 

SEHUN: Yifan, how much are you not telling me? When I called you, was Luhan really missing? Or he just wasn't ready to talk to me?

YIFAN: Sehun, he was wasted. Pls don't take it against him. 

YIFAN: It's better to discuss this in person. With Luhan. Not me. 

SEHUN: ge. I can't believe you lied to me. Both of you.

YIFAN: It's not what you think..

[Missed call, YIFAN. 1:25am] 

[Missed call, LUHAN. 1:26am] 

LUHAN: Sehun, pls pick up. Pls 


He stares at his phone.. feeling his chest constricting - like something is wringing his heart and flattening his lungs. 

Yifan didn't even answer him directly. He thinks that speaks volumes. 

Sehun turns off his phone and shoves it into the pocket of his hand carrier. He anchors his elbows on either of his knees and hides his face behind his hands in frustration. 

Yunho taps him on the shoulder, voice serious."Sorry, Sehun-ssi. It's about your sister, Minah. She's in critical condition. Hit and run. We need to go back to Tokyo, now."

His breath hitches at the news. ". Which hospital?" 

"It's in Osaka.. your mother will have someone pick us up from KIX with the details." 

This can't be happening. No.. This cannot be happening. He had just talked to Minah on the phone before he and Yunho flew to Shanghai. 


"You are so gay." 

"Do you have to call me that?" 

"Ok, so you're heart is Luhan-centric, then?" 

"Whatever. I can't believe I even told you." 

"You can't hide these things from me, kiddo. Especially when you sent that errant confession email to yours truly." 

"Fine. Fine. But are you ok? sis, you didn't have to hide that from us. What were you thinking?" 

"It seemed like a good idea during that time.." 

"You're boyfriend is a douche. I'll take care of you and the kid when it pops out." 

"Wow. Thanks. I'm touched. Wait.. actually, I'm offended. You make giving birth sound like it's similar to microwaving popcorn." 

"Whatevs.. you get what I mean. Want me to pick you up? I could take the next flight.." 

"No.. go to your lover boy. I will be fine. I'll take the bus instead.. You know how I love travelling by land anyway." 

"You sure? How are you going to handle umma and appa?"

"Yes, . I'll be ok. Go get your Romeo. HAHA. Saranghaaaae~" 

"I love you too, idiot." 


 
Guilt hits him in waves. He's not sure what he'll do if he loses his sister. He doesn't think he'd be able to live with himself. He takes a deep breath and gathers his wits. 

His sister needs him. 

"Let's go." 

His feelings be damned. 


*** *** 


"Hunhun!" Kyungsoo calls out, his backpack bouncing behind him as he runs towards Sehun (Luhan is trailing behind Sehun). He has a big smile on his face, "You're here!" he gleefully says. 

"Hey there, Soo~" Sehun greets the young one, knees bent and arms outstreched, "You missed me?" 

Kyungsoo rushes into his arms and hugs him tight, "Uhuh! We had show and tell today. I brought Lulu!" the little one squirms in his arms, all excited. 

"Lulu?" Sehun hears Luhan ask from behind him. He detects a combination of curiousity and amusement in his voice. He untangles himself from Kyungsoo's little arms, face reddening. "Uh.." He looks at the ground, not sure how to answer Luhan. 

The little one answers for him. "My teddy bear!" Kyungsoo plucks a tiny stuffed bear from his pocket and proudly shows it to Luhan with a heart-shaped smile, his round eyes shining. "Hunhun gave him to me.. He said Lulu keeps nightmares away, adjussi." 

Sehun groans inwardly. He wants the ground to open up and swallow him whole. Adjussi? Really? He stands up straight and turns around to face Luhan, who is (thankfully) smiling down at Soo. He looks to his side and notices Kyungsoo clutching the hem of his coat and gazing at the older man curiously. Sehun bites his lip and offers an apologetic grin to the other man. 

Luhan snorts at him.. then bends down to meet Kyungsoo eye-level. "Just call me Hanhan." He ruffles the young one's hair. "That's such a cute bear. What's your name?"

Sehun stares at the two.. relieved in a way that he doesn't have to initiate the introductions. Kyungsoo doesn't flinch or move away from Luhan's touch, which he takes as a good sign. If Luhan asks, he'll answer. 

"Um," Kyungsoo gives Sehun a look, like he's asking persmission of it's ok to talk more. Sehun nods, a soft smile forming on his face. "K-Kyungsoo. I'm Kyungsoo." the young one says, his eyes round and expectant; flitting from Luhan to Sehun and back to Luhan again. He pouts. "I am reeeally hungry. Can we eat?" 

Sehun observes Luhan, who's know grinning widely at Kyungsoo, "I actually brought extra bubble tea. You can have it, if you want." 

The young kid tilts his head and seems to consider the older man's words. "Is it sweet?" 

Luhan nods, eyes crinkling as he smiles at Kyungsoo. "Uhuh." 

"YEY. Then can we go and eat ice cream too?" 

"Sure, little fella." 

"I like you." 

"I like me too, Kyungsoo." 

"HEHE you're funny, Hanhan." 

Sehun chuckles. Not bad, he thinks.. Kyungsoo releases his grip on Sehun's coat and goes over to Luhan's side. Kyungsoo holds out his hand and stares at Luhan. "Let's go?"

Luhan laughs and takes the little one's hand. "Ok. Let's go." 

Sehun trails behind them, a smile tugging at his lips.  

 


*** *** 

 

A/N: Eeep. Sorry for the late update. Annnd yeah, Jongin here is... Ugh. Sorreh folks, OTL *waves to readers* thoughts? questions? violent reactions on this chap? lol. i'd love to hear from you folks. Til the next chap! -- nothingness01 ^^v