Woohyun

Infinite's Storm

Chapter 4 – Woohyun

Woohyun woke up to the sound of bustling in the kitchen. He heard a kettle whistling and the smell of bacon filled the air. His stomach rumbled and he remembered he hadn’t eaten anything since yesterday afternoon.

The events of yesterday came rushing back to him, causing a headache to slowly pulse behind his temples. Sighing, he pushed himself up from the couch’s cushions, stretching his muscles as he moved. The first thing he saw was Sunggyu curled up in the sofa opposite. Someone had put a blanket over Sunggyu but it didn’t hide the marks adorning his cheek and neck.

Anger rose so quickly that for a second, he only saw red. He stood up, feeling dizzy with the suddenness, but before he could let out an angry yell, Dongwoo sauntered out of the bathroom, clad in only his boxers and with a towel around his neck.

“Shh,” Dongwoo said urgently. “Don’t shout. Let hyung sleep.”

“Why does hyung look like that?” Woohyun hissed furiously. “He looks like he went five rounds with you hyped up with sweets!”

Dongwoo dried his hair and sent him a pointed look. “You know who Gyu-hyung went to see yesterday.”

 Woohyun blood boiled at the thought of the hard faced SM’s CEO but he sat back down with a heavy sigh. “I should have gone with him.”

Dongwoo came over and patted his back, mumbling some things under his breath too quickly. Woohyun put his head in his hands, unable to bear looking at Sunggyu’s bruises. The “Deputy” title hung heavily around his neck, and he couldn’t help but feel responsible. It was his job to lead the team when the leader wasn’t there, but it was also his job to support the leader, to look after the leader. He’d had a sinking feeling the day before as Jungsu led Sunggyu away but he hadn’t done anything about it.

Dongwoo squeezed his shoulder tightly. “Hyung wouldn’t have let you go with him anyway, Woohyun-ah. And we can try to help him now anyway. Hmm?”

Sungjong’s voice rang out loudly from the kitchen, cheery as though it was any other morning but with an overly forced upbeat to it. “Breakfast’s ready! I’ll bring it to the living room!”

Sunggyu stirred on the couch before groggily blinking his eyes open and sitting up. The other members came out from their rooms, already dressed and fresh faced despite the cloud of gloom seeming to hang over them. Sungjong brought plates of eggs and bacon over and laid them out on the table. He made repeated trips to the kitchen to finish laying everything out and handing cups of tea to the members.

Sunggyu was the first to start eating. He smiled at Myungsoo who cuddled up next to him, but shook his head firmly upon seeing the question in Woohyun’s eyes.

“Hyung, your tea.”

Woohyun shifted his gaze from Sunggyu to Sungjong, who smiled at him tentatively with a cup in his hand. Guilt stabbed at  Woohyun to see the red rimmed eyes of the younger boy, remembering how rough he’d been yesterday. He’d just been so angry about everything – the fans’ reactions, the mocking sniggers...He had needed answers, right there and then.

“Come sit next to hyung,” Woohyun said, accepting the tea and patting the empty spot next to him.

Something like protectiveness flared within him as Sungjong’s face brightened. The maknae squashed up next to him and loaded up a plate.

“Sungjong,” Sunggyu broke the silence. “Have you spoken to your parents?”

Sungjong nodded as he pretended to busy himself with opening the ketchup bottle. “Yes, hyung. They wanted me to come home, but I said I was fine here.”

Sunggyu nodded before looking at the other members. “Well, let’s discuss it now. Does anyone here have a problem with Sungjong?”

“I’m trying to understand, hyung,” Dongwoo spoke up, meeting Sungjong’s eyes calmly. “Jongie, I don’t get why you find men more attractive, or why you’d kiss one…I’m really trying to understand why you are the way you are…But don’t worry. It’ll take hyung some time, but hyung will get there.”

It was almost disturbing, Woohyun thought, to see Dongwoo so subdued and serious. But as always, Dongwoo’s compassion shone out and Woohyun nodded at his friend approvingly.

“I have no problem,” Myungsoo muttered.

“I feel the same way as Dongwoo hyung,” Sungyeol said with his hand up.

“I’m fine with the way Sungjong is,” said Woohyun. “Just worried.”

“Me too,” Hoya said quietly. He hadn’t touched his food, Woohyun noticed. Of course…Hoya had sacrificed so much, including his family, to get to where he was. And now that was all in peril.

“Everyone,” Sungjong spoke clearly. He took a deep breath and raised his head to meet all of their eyes. “Everyone, I’m so sorry about this. I never expected that picture to come up. I never thought that anyone would find out. I’m sorry for being so naïve. And I’m sorry for being the way I am.”

Woohyun was surprised at the maturity he saw in Sungjong’s gaze. It wasn’t a boy who was looking at him anymore, it was a man ready to face the consequences and a part of Woohyun mourned for Sungjong’s lost innocence. Aigoo, he’s grown up already…

“It’s not your fault for being the way you are,” Woohyun said firmly. “It’s everyone else’s fault for not accepting it.”

“Nevertheless,” Sungjong said, “I’m sorry for putting so much burden on the team.” A pained expression crossed his face as he looked straight at Sunggyu. “I’m so sorry, hyung, for making you get hurt. If you want me to leave Infinite…” Sungjong’s fists trembled in his lap. “If you want me to leave, I’ll go.”

“You’re not going anywhere,” Sunggyu said sternly. “We’re going to fight to keep you on our team.”

“Yes!” Dongwoo shouted and clapped his hands together loudly. “Infinite is seven! Not six!”

“We can’t lose out maknae!” Woohyun said, taking Sungjong’s head under his hair and musing up the boy’s hair. “Who else will Sungyeol and I prank?”

“Yes!” Sungyeol yelled. “And who else will do the dishes, and the washing up, and make dinner, and make breakfast, and take the bins out…” He laughed sheepishly as five glares were aimed at him. “Ah...I mean, Infinite is seven! We can’t just have six!”

Sungjong laughed and bowed his head, trying to hide the tears streaming pouring down his cheeks.

Sunggyu nodded, the tenseness in his shoulders finally lessening, and Woohyun knew just how much it meant to the leader to have all the other members’ support. “Good. Okay. We need a plan.”

“Plan!” Dongwoo whooped.

Sunggyu put down his plate of food and moved closer to them, prompting the others to do the same. They clustered in a small circle, as though an enemy waited for them just outside the door.

“We’re going to change our main song from “Smile”,” Sunggyu lowered his voice. “Instead we’re going to use “Attack” – the 2nd song in our album.”

“But hyung,” Hoya sighed. “Dancemaster said the choreography for the song was too complicated for us to pull off.”

“Exactly,” said Sunggyu. “We need something more impressive than “Smile”. We need something that will blow everyone’s minds. We need to show that Kpop is nothing without Infinite.”

Judging by the others’ faces, Woohyun wasn’t the only one the feel the building pressure. It was like their “Dashidorawa” days again, unknowing of their futures as an idol group, totally dependent on their fans and with a small chance of gaining worldwide recognition. They’d needed to practice for sixteen hours a day back then, and going by the grimness of Sunggyu’s stance, it would seem like they were going to have to do that again.

“We will stay in the flat all the time,” Sunggyu said. “We’ve got a space big enough to practice here. No one talks to the press or any forms of media. Ignore calls from friends, especially from idol friends, and only speak a little to your families. We can’t trust anyone right now.”

Woohyun swallowed anxiously, the sombreness of the situation was starting to get to him.

“We’re booked for Kim Gura’s variety show four days from now,” Sunggyu continued. “We will go there. You will all leave the talking to me. Jongie…you especially don’t say a word.”

Sungjong nodded seriously.

“Then we have the performance for the Dragon Entertainments Awards next week. Which means we have seven days to perfect our “Attack” dance,” said Sunggyu. “If that goes well – which it will, we go to Weekly Idol the day after and slowly start to regain our image. Understand?”

“Yes,” Woohyun chorused with the other members. He high fived Sungjong and Sungyeol before standing up with his fists pumped. “Alright! Let’s do this!”


 

They practiced hard over the next few days. Hoya and Dongwoo moved the furniture around and they cleared their vast living room into a practice dance room. Painting their large window a sleek silver gave it enough reflection light to act as a mirror, though Woohyun yearned for the a proper mirror, a proper stereo and better floors, which didn’t hurt his feet soles so much. But practicing their dance in the hotel room, instead of travelling to the dance studio, meant that they didn’t just avoid reporters, but was also able to practice from morning to night before taking a quick shower and going to bed.

Each part of Woohyun’s body ached, though he could see Sungjong and Myungsoo struggling even more with the difficult choreography, which involved more acrobatics and harder dancing. But Sunggyu never eased the pressure, allowing them a break of a few minutes every four hours before they were back to work, dancing, singing, dancing, singing – over and over again. Polishing each mistake, smoothing out each microsecond of timing so that they were perfectly synchronised, perfectly balanced.

A few fights erupted, Sungyeol yelling at Sunggyu to let him sleep longer, Hoya snapping at Dongwoo to tone down his moves, Myungsoo at one point refusing to dance because his body hurt so much. But it only took one look at Sungjong’s tear stained face, red with the exertion of exercise and pained with guilt, for the fights to die down as soon as they started.

The members sometimes looked on the Internet to find out the fans’ opinions. Some fans were boycotting their youtube videos to keep the viewcount low, and some fans had turned into antis. There was more, but Woohyun didn’t know about it, having refused to join in with s discussions on the matter.

He’d given the fans so much love, and for them to turn against him like this...It created an ache in his chest and he wondered if it’d ever go away.

By the time the day for Gura’s variety show came, Woohyun woke up with a determination in his step. They’d worked so hard and if the past few days had proven anything to him, it was that Infinite truly deserved to be the idol group on stage.

The managers had been popping in occasionally during the days they’d been confined in the hotel, and it was Geonam who arrived to drive them to the variety show filming. Woohyun found it hard to guess how the managers felt about the whole situation they were in. They kept a blank face as Sunggyu explained their plan, and didn’t seem to treat Sungjong any differently. And that was good enough for now, Woohyun guessed.

It was strange to see the outside world for the first time in five days. They’d been cooped up in the hotel room for so long that it was both pleasant and jarring to suddenly feel the warmth of sunlight on his skin and dull chatter of people talking. Everyone’s lives were going on so normally.

The ride to the variety show consisted of Sunggyu lecturing them for the umpteenth time that day. Woohyun zoned out at some point between “Make sure you don’t look directly at reporters at all” and “Don’t communicate with any of the other idols”. He mused on the show that awaited them instead. It was Kim Gura’s new show “Teatime with Stars”, involving Hyungdon from Weekly Idol and the comedian, Park Myungsoo, on the panel too. A simple interview styled talkshow with the variety of stars that’d come to see them.

Woohyun frowned, remembering his conversation with Sunggyu the night before.

“You know why Gura hasn’t cancelled us from his show yet, right?” Woohyun asked, resting his head on Sunggyu’s lap. They’d taken a quick break from practice.

“Yeah,” said Sunggyu.

“He’s going to cut into us,” said Woohyun, squeezing his water bottle till his knuckles whitened. “He’s going to grill us and target Sungjong. Why are we going?”

“To send a message,” Sunggyu said clearly and the conversation ended with Woohyun feeling more confused that he’d been to start with.

Woohyun turned in his seat to glance at Sungjong his shoulders relaxing to see the youngest sleeping with his head on Myungsoo’s shoulder. Just let Gura try, Woohyun vowed, I’ll destroy him.

“My driving lessons are almost over,” said Hoya, no doubt trying to lighten the mood. “My instructor says I’m the best driver she’s ever seen.”

“Ah, please Hoya,” said Sungyeol with a dramatic sigh. “Stop being so modest. You’re hurting us.”

Hoya grinned. “She’s really impressed by how fast I can go, and how I can weave my way through cars – she said she’d hire me as the getaway driver for a bank robbery any day. I told her she’d have to pay me a getaway amount of money to get her way for her to get away.”

The car erupted in groans.

“Ehhh - Hoya, that doesn’t even make sense.”

 “Hoya, shut up! You’re really not funny.”                

“I really am great at driving though,” Hoya said defensively. “I should be in an action movie.”

Thankfully, they reached the show’s set up soon, not having to listen to Hoya’s lame jokes anymore. They went backstage along with the other idols clustered around. By going through the backdoor, they’d managed to avoid all reporters waiting outside, and Woohyun beamed at his manager gratefully. Obviously, Geonam had been researching on the best entries and exits.

“What do you mean Infinite doesn’t have a changing room?” Geonam glared at a petite woman who was bowing to him repeatedly. “This schedule’s been fixed for months! You expect them to change here? In the middle of the corridor?”

Behind Geonam, Woohyun gritted his teeth, the familiar surge of anger rising within him. They were being treated like they’d just debuted. Like rookies. As though they didn’t already have multiple number one awards and two worldwide concerts under their belt.

“I’m sorry,” the woman stammered repeatedly. “But Hunters was a new addition to today’s panel and they needed a changing room so unfortunately, Infinite will have to make do.“

The vein in Geonam’s forehead looked ready to burst. “So you gave a rookie group a new room instead of us? How dare you – “

“Hyung,” Sunggyu touched Geonam’s arm and stepped forward. “It’s fine, hyung. We’ll manage.” He bowed deeply to the woman who looked startled at his manner. “Thank you for your help.”

Geonam sent a final glare before coordinating the makeup crew and the other managers to occupy a section of the corridor. Woohyun sighed and dropped his bag on the bench. He tried to dampen his anger with a swig of water, but the fire in him still burned, flaring higher at the sniggers he heard as the idol groups entered their respective changing room.

Sunggyu told them they’d change in the bathrooms. He went first with Dongwoo, leaving the rest of them to lounge in the middle of the corridor. The other managers went towards the office direction, presumably to complain about their treatment to higher authorities.

“We’re being treated like rubbish,” Sungyeol muttered next to Woohyun.

Hoya didn’t say anything but going by the force he flung his bag to the floor and the pent up tension in his muscles, he found the situation just as infuriating.

Myungsoo looked a lot calmer and there was even a smile playing on his lips. “Just put up with it. What else can we do, right hyung?”

Woohyun sighed and nodded. “Right. But why do you look so happy?”

“Cause we’re still together,” Myungsoo beamed. “As long as we’re still together, it’ll be fine.”

The noise level in the corridor suddenly increased as most of the other idols headed out of their changing rooms and clustered in the corridor. Woohyun flushed as he had to move around to make way for the idols already done with getting ready. Hunters came out of their room and Woohyun could have sworn he saw one of them aim a smirk towards his direction.

“Everyone,” Sungjong interrupted quietly, “guys, I’m so sor-“

“If you say sorry one more time, Jongie,” Woohyun turned, forcing a devilish grin on his face, “I’ll tickle you to death.”

Sungjong frowned at his wriggling fingers suspiciously before sending Woohyun a pleading gaze. 

“But hyung, I really am so sor – argh!”

He collapsed into giggles as Woohyun attacked him mercilessly, tickling him in all his weak spots. Under the arm, the sides of his stomach, around his neck. Woohyun laughed and only stopped when Sungjong begged him to.

“Our maknae,” Woohyun clasped the sides of Sungjong’s face and looked at him seriously, “should always be smiling and laughing like this. Right, guys?” He turned to the others to find them smiling too.

“Right,” Sungyeol said mock seriously. “If the maknae goes around with a long face everywhere, what’ll happen to our reputation?”

Myungsoo made a sound between a snort and a laugh while even Hoya grinned. Looking back, Woohyun saw Sungjong’s lower lip tremble with emotion and hugged the boy instinctively. He’d never had a little brother, but he wondered if this warmth inside him was because he’d somehow found himself having one anyway.

“Don’t get too close to him, he’ll probably enjoy it too much.”

It took Woohyun a few seconds to register the new voice and words. Once he did, he released Sungjong and swirled around so fast that he nearly lost his balance. His heart had started hammering against his ribcage.

“What...” Woohyun stared at 2pm’s Junho. “What did you say?”

“Why are you here?” Junho directed his question to Sungjong. “You haven’t just shamed your team, you’ve shamed all of us. What do you think people say about kpop idols now? They think we’re all as gay as you!”

Woohyun advanced, ignoring Hoya’s warning hand on his shoulder. “Shut up.” Blood roared in his ears as fuzziness around the edges of his vision grew. He felt faint, as though he was going to throw up any second now.

“Yah!” Super Junior’s Yesung stepped forward. “Is that any way to talk to your hyung? What’s wrong with him saying that what we’re all thinking?”

“Don’t insult Sungjong,” Woohyun said. He barely recognised the low growl in his own voice.

The backstage corridor had turned very quiet, all eyes trained on the growing commotion. Leetuk had stepped forward to pull Yesung back but his spot was simply replaced by Hunter’s leader, Tayson, who scowled at them.

“Your Sungjong’s a . It’s all over the newspapers,” Tayson said bitingly. “What’s he still doing here?”

“He hasn’t done anything wrong!” Woohyun’s voice rose dangerously. There was a painful lump in his throat to see all the people he had loved and respected for so long stand against them. MBLAQ’s GO nodding to Tayson’s words, Zico’s look of hatred, Siwon’s headshake of disappointment... “Stop treating him like a criminal! He’s still an Infinite member!”

“Why are you all so supportive anyway?” Junho scoffed. “Does he do his nightly rounds in your bedrooms?”

Bile hit the back of Woohyun’s throat, in time to the horrified gasps coming from s behind.

Tayson laughed and clapped Junho on the shoulder. “That’s true, hyung. Who know how many he’s to get into an idol team anyway?”

Woohyun’s mind went blank. The only thing he could hear was Sungjong’s ragged whimper from behind him, and his body was moving. He barely registered Hoya’s hand leaving his shoulder as he strode forwards. A red mist filled his eyes, an electric charge surging through his body as he lunged forward and landed the sound punch on Tayson’s cheek.

The fire in him roared its approval, now set completely ablaze. He distantly heard Hoya punch Junho and batting aside the hands that reached to restrain him –

He attacked.

 


Thank you to everyone commenting so far! I love you all! Please keep the comments coming in to motivate me further! Tell me anything you liked or didn't like from this chapter! xxx

Next chapter: Myungsoo - wherein they are tossed without lifejackets into a shark infested pool.