VI

Posted Love
 

POSTED LOVE

VI (pt.1)

 

♦♦♦ ♦♦♦♦ ♦♦♦

 

 

 

“Yeol, get up.”

“No.”

“I mean it, you lamppost.”

“Go away, midget.”                  

“Fine, be that way.”

“Maybe I will.”

“Fine.”

“Fine.”

 

And so that wondrous morning, Chanyeol was woken up with a lovely greeting from Mr. Frying Pan. The utensil was becoming more and more familiar.

 

“Ouch! Kyungsoo!” Chanyeol winced, as he rubbed the spot that was hit,again—the fourth time this week. A pretty bump was growing, just the way Kyungsoo liked it. “We can’t continue living like this.”

“Get up! It’s Crackle Day!” Kyungsoo said in a childish tone, while waving around his lethal frying pan.

“I know, I know. But I thought I’ve made it clear that I wasn’t a morning person.”

“And I thought I made it clear that I didn’t care.”

“…Harsh, man. You’ve gone mad with Crackle fever.”

“Buy.Me. My. CRACKLES.”

 

Chanyeol chuckled and slowly got up from bed. He gave Kyungsoo a morning hug; hold a little tighter than need be. Kyungsoo mumbled something unintelligible, as his face was mushed against the giant’s chest.

“You’re so squishy in the morning. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this.”

 

Chanyeol was hit by the frying pan in a place you don’t want to know.

 

 

I-I think you cracked an egg…Chanyeol wheezed.

 

♦♦♦ ♦♦♦♦ ♦♦♦

 

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were now in their first year of university. They both entered the same one (more like Chanyeol followed Kyungsoo), and then they rented an apartment near the school together. Kyungsoo learned that Chanyeol was a little sloppy in house-keeping, but good with helping out in food and laundry. Chanyeol learned that Kyungsoo needed help with reaching the upper cupboards (cue fanboy giggles), and was actually good at cooking.

Oh yeah, and that a frying pan was deadly in the grasp of a narrow-shouldered owl.

Also, Chanyeol realized he probably shouldn’t have introduced “Crackles” to the small male. It was some kind of powder-like candy that popped and sizzled in your mouth, hence the name “Crackles.” A friend gave him some, and he shared with Kyungsoo. The smaller instantly got addicted to the stuff. Like swear, Kyungsoo would ask Chanyeol to buy it for him even during the strangest of times, like the middle of the night or right after breakfast. If Chanyeol didn’t want to, Kyungsoo would either throw a tantrum, cry, or start the silent treatment. He was acting like a legit pregnant woman with cravings. In more than one way, Chanyeol found it endearing, but on the other hand, this was some crazy- shizz. The addiction had to stop. So they limited Kyungsoo’s Crackle intake down to once a week (Why does this sound like drug prescription?). You can bet the shorty acted like it was Christmas every time.

 

Crackle aside, Kyungsoo was pretty much sane in every other aspect of his life. He was currently majoring in Communication Arts, since he wanted to be a more vocal person. He still couldn’t believe the giant was taking up Accounting. All of a sudden Chanyeol got good in math, like some miracle from the Heavens. Anyways, Kyungsoo was still reserved but slowly becoming a conversationalist. Not a chatterbox, but simply, someone who could speak their mind whenever they wanted to; just like when he was a kid. It was a great improvement, and he quite liked it when people asked him questions, to which he personally responded; not just by paper.

The “Ask D.O.” portion of Kyungsoo’s life played such a big role towards self-enhancement. He could never forget about that marvelous part of high school.

 

 ♦♦♦ ♦♦♦♦ ♦♦♦

 

“Sehun, how’s he doing?”

“He’s still being a jerk.”

“How are his parents handling it?”

“I heard they recently had a talk with the principal. They said they might be getting him a tutor.”

“Oh… he won’t like that.”

“Well, obviously. But it’s not like he’s willing to change on his own. We’ve already tried persuading him, so I guess having an outsider help would be good.”

“And how are you holding up?”

“… I miss my best friend; so much for our bond of brotherhood. He’d better be happy I still care about him even though he ignores me.”

“Don’t worry, Sehun. Let’s just hope and pray for the best.”

“Yeah… how are you and Minseok hyung?”

“University life is both fun and taxing, altogether a learning experience. I admit the paper works are a little more difficult.”

“Alright, well, I don’t want to keep the papers waiting. Bye Junmyeon hyung.”

“Bye Sehunnie. Text us and call us if you need anything, or if it’s anything about Jongin. Don’t give up, alright? It’s never too late.”

“Yeah… I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

♦♦♦ ♦♦♦♦ ♦♦♦

 

“We got you a tutor,” Jongin’s father calmly stated.

“The f***!? I didn’t agree to this!” The boy screeched into the phone.

“We tried to reason with you and persuade you nicely, but you didn’t listen! We just want to help! Son, please, this is for your own g-”

“Shut up. I’m not letting whoever it is you’re sending, into my house.”

“We’re the ones providing your rent, young man. Be thankful we’re actually still showing that we care, without cutting off your allowance or disowning you. We just want you to stop this, son. We know you can do it. Living the way you’re doing right now, it doesn’t give you a future and it’s harmful to your health. Please listen to us, Jongin.”

“Bull****. I’m hanging up.”

“Jongin, sweetheart!” The sound of Jongin’s mother was heard, crying and sniffling.

“We love you, son. Enough of this, and come back home. Don’t stray anymore and return to normal; we’re only thinking about your health, and what will happen to you. We don’t want you to grow up in poverty, begging on the streets! Just come back and everything will be forgiven, okay? We love y-”

 

Jongin hung up.

 

♦♦♦ ♦♦♦♦ ♦♦♦

 

It had been a bumpy ride ever since the latter part of last year. Taking on the rebellious nature, Jongin hung out with the wrong crowd, doing all the wrong things, and ignoring Sehun. Minseok and Junmyeon were older, and had advanced to university, leaving Sehun to deal with the new version Jongin had become. Jongin never took notice of the tall, stoic teen who he once considered a “brother from another mother”. They used to eat at the same lunch table and hang-out all the time, but obviously a lot has changed. Sehun had actually texted and called, pleaded his best friend to stop these shenanigans, but to no avail. Eventually, he stopped reaching out altogether. The same could be said for Minseok and Junmyeon.

Jongin’s grades went down drastically, but he didn’t care. He also moved out to an apartment against his parents’ will. Obviously, they knew he would run out of money some time, and so they still send over his allowance and even pay for his rent. Jongin already knew they would; he was just that selfish.

Yet despite all this, every night he admitted to himself that he had done so much wrong to everyone he loved. And to him, that’s the biggest reason why he hasn’t stopped this rebellious act.

To him, it was too late to change—he had already caused the damage.

He let go of his studies, squandered his savings on cigarettes, drugs and alcohol, and let go of his long-time friends. Jongin deserved to be like this right now; this was his punishment. He wasn’t into substance-abuse yet, but he was sure that it won’t take long. And because he wasted most of his allowance, he only ever ate cup-ramyeon every day. His academics were barely passing, and his conduct grade was low due to all the classes he cut, and teachers he disrespected. There was no way a college would accept him now, because really, it’s not like he was going to change this year either.

 

 

He had no future, no friends, and was living an unhealthy lifestyle. Jongin knew and it was okay. He deserved this. He made the wrong choices, and troubled everybody around him; it would be the best if he just deteriorated out of everyone’s lives.

He’ll keep being distasteful, because in the end, if they hate his guts, it won’t matter to them if he just fades away.

No one will care if he dies one day, and that’s all Jongin wants.

Nobody knows how truly, very sorry he is. He’ll never be worth forgiveness.

The least he can do for everyone is waste the life he’s been given.

 

♦♦♦ ♦♦♦♦ ♦♦♦

 

“B-but, I have no experience sir.”

“Nonsense! I heard you used to have this some kind of “asking corner” back in the day, and your grades are surely up top! Trust me, Kyungsoo, you’ll do well.”

“I don’t know sir… I would very much like to focus on my studies right now… I’m not really interested, nor am I in need of the money.”

Kyungsoo heard the principal sigh from the other end of the phone. A momentary pause filled the air, until the principal spoke again.

“… Listen Kyungsoo. I understand what you mean, and I agree that you shouldn’t have anything to do with this, but everybody else rejected the offer! You’re my last hope; the child’s last hope. He didn’t used to be like this, and both his parents and I need help in disciplining him. If you don’t help, I really don’t know who else to ask…”

“I’m sorry to hear that…”

“For me, as the principal of this school, it is my pride and joy to see all the students graduate. So seeing this kid, who was once well on his way, now caught in the turbulence of rebellious adrenaline, it makes me feel sad.

Kyungsoo, I don’t know what will become of the poor lad… He just got into the wrong company, that’s all. The boy named Taemin, he was the head of all this trouble, and Jongin was only one of the many who got influenced. Taemin is not someone we can just change, because right from the start, that troublesome boy chose to be like this. Changing him will take a bigger effort and time. But Jongin is different—he used to be an alright kid. But now he’s cutting classes, drinking, smoking and who-knows-what-else!

Say you’ll help, Kyungsoo-ssi… Say you’ll help the boy while it’s not yet too late.

He needs guidance… and if he won’t listen to us adults, then maybe he’d be more willing to listen to someone his age.

Please Kyungsoo. You would be saving a life.”

 

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip and thought about it.

 

 

 

 

“A-alright… Okay, I’ll help as much as I can.”

 

 

When the conversation ended, Kyungsoo dropped the phone. He plopped down on the bed, and heaved out a sigh. By then, Chanyeol came out of the bathroom; fragrant and refreshed from his bath.

 

“Well, you look troubled,” the tall male smiled at Kyungsoo, and plopped down beside him on the bed. “Care to tell?”

“Our high school principal just begged me to tutor someone from our lower batch. Apparently, the poor kid’s gotten bad influence, and isn’t doing so well. I think I’m likely to be babysitting, than just tutoring. It feels like they’re counting on me to straighten his paths, or something.”

“You think you can handle it?”

“I don’t really know… but the principal was desperate, and I felt bad for the kid too, so I guess it’s worth a shot. If he becomes too much to handle, I’ve always got my frying pan and an iron fist,” Kyungsoo laughed.

Chanyeol smiled fondly. “Now I’m sort of jealous. That was our frying pan, and soon you’ll be tainting it with someone else’s memories.”

“For goodness’ sakes, stop being such a drama queen,” Kyungsoo poked the taller on the cheek. Kyungsoo was aware that even though he friend-zoned Chanyeol, the taller still had feelings for him. And for that, he greatly appreciated the giant even though he couldn’t return the sentiment. Chanyeol was a whole lot more special now as a friend.

“Yeah well, I hope things will work out for the boy. I’m sure with you around, things will definitely improve.”

 

♦♦♦ ♦♦♦♦ ♦♦♦

 

Kyungsoo brought Chanyeol along to meet with Jongin’s parents (for moral support, Kyungsoo would say, but Chanyeol really just begged to come along). They were soon seated in the living room with said couple, and three others who could be assumed as Jongin’s friends (or used to be friends).

 

“We assume that the principal filled you in?” Mr. Kim asked Kyungsoo gently with a smile. But however polite Mr. Kim was, the furrowed brows and dark circles couldn’t be hidden. Kyungsoo could see the stress.

“Yes, sir. About your son, Kim Jongin?”

“Yes, well… he’s moved out on his own since last summer, and my wife and I have been very worried. But we already know that he’ll never let us get to him. Believe me, we’ve tried. He’s always escaped or utterly ignored us when we tried to visit him. He would not even open the door for us…”

By this point, Mrs. Kim was sobbing again; Joonmyeon, rubbed her back soothingly. Sehun and Minseok offered her some water.

Mr. Kim held his wife’s hand as he continued.

 

“This is the last year of high school for Jongin. His grades went downhill at the latter part of last school year, and it looks like he has no plans to change. He might just never come to class and flunk due to absence! We really need someone to help him, so he could still somehow turn things around. There’s still a chance, if he could just get his grades up this last year—and hopefully, correct his lifestyle—that he could still graduate and get to college.

Kyungsoo, you need to know that we’re doing this only because we couldn’t do it ourselves. We’re so scared and concerned for Jongin; he isn’t listening to anyone’s voice. This isn't just about his future; he’s going to waste away with all the toxic substances he takes in. Not even his friends could stop him.

So we need to try letting somebody else handle this.

Kyungsoo, I know you’re not exactly a professional tutor, but give it a shot please.We already know that he won’t listen to adults. We have tried, and the principal and guidance counselor also did but failed. Now it’s your turn.

Try to save him.”