Chapter 3: Borrowed Happiness

How to Love Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3: Borrowed Happiness

Sandy stared at her reflection in the mirror. She was in the 5th outfit she was trying on for her tour around town with Seung Hyun. She was anticipating it whole week long. It has been awhile since she went out with anyone not that she’s considering her trip with him, a date. Dates, well she hasn’t been in one in a very long time. The last time she became close to someone was the start of her misery in elementary and middle school.

Lee Min Ho was a really good friend. He was the most popular guy in 4th grade and every girl in their school had a crush on him. He was a very handsome Korean boy that befriended her on the first day of school. They immediately became friends. The girls in their class didn’t approve of their closeness and they often singled her out in the locker room or in the back alley of the school after classes end. She came home with scratch marks and bruises but she covered it up with big baggy clothes. She kept a smile on her face when she’s home. She didn’t want her family to worry about her so she endured everything by herself quietly. Her brother was studying in a different school and she didn’t want to burden him with her issues.

Min Ho the nice boy who was the actual reason for her misery asked her out and it made her dilemma even worse. The taunting and the abuse went on till she was in middle school. She refused his advances despite the fact that she actually liked him but her tormentors kept on with their evil ways. She became stoic and emotionless in school. She purposely ignored Min Ho and asked to be moved to a different class but the abuse continued. She eventually started inflicting pain to herself. She would cut herself and bleed just so she can feel again. The only way she survived the tortures she was getting in school was by being numb and emotionless sometimes to cut herself was the only way for her to know if she can still feel again.

Her parents eventually found out. She tried her best to hide her cuts but there were times when she bled too much and her mother noticed some of her bloody clothes in her hamper or the pile of bloody Kleenex along with her used bandages in her garbage bin.

It was a heartbreaking day for her family when they finally confronted her. Her mom and dad where brought to tears when she exposed her barely healed arms filled with cuts. Her Yoochun-oppa punched the wall in anger and almost made a hole in it.

She was enveloped in her mom’s embrace and somehow she felt safe again. Her parents wanted to raise the issue with the school board but Sandy opted to just quietly withdraw from school. It was too much for her and creating a bigger issue that will make her the topic of the prying eyes of the whole school seemed even more terrifying.

Sandy checked her reflection in the mirror and smiled. She’s all better now. There are times when she still struggles with her bad memories but she’s better at coping. She eyed herself in the mirror with satisfaction. She finally found the right outfit.

Seung Hyun woke up a little early than usual he scanned his clothes and realized that almost all of them looked the same. He figured he’ll go get a quick shower before he goes through them again.

When he got back in his room he saw a paper bag lying on top of his bed with a note.

Hyung,

            We know that you will probably dress up with your usual set of garb (yes, we need to start shopping for new clothes! Even guys have to be presentable) so our friends decided to gift you with a new set of clothes. Jiyong-hyung and Young Bae-hyung picked these for you so I can guarantee that it’s fashionable but don’t worry I told them to go easy on you and to just stick to basics. Have fun hyung. Please make sure that Sandy-noona will enjoy the trip too.

Love, 

Your Awesome Maknae, Seung Ri

He smiled at their little gesture. He has the nicest but most meddlesome friends. He put his new clothes on and went on his way to pick up Sandy.

He saw Sandy waiting at the bus stop closest to her house.  She was wearing a simple white trench coat with a black dress underneath and black knee high socks

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter