Break Time

Fallen Trilogy Part 2: The Secret Child of the Devil

Once outside the Revenge House, Baekhyun fell unconscious. It was amazing how Myungsoo got over the original shock and asked a passerby to call for an ambulance. Moreover, he went with them. He stood by Ra Hee’s side until the others came. Chen ran to Baekhyun and Sunggyu ran to Ra Hee’s side. It was interesting how much fuss was created around him but he could only watch from the side.

Beelzebub got over his anger when he got informed that Ra Hee was safe. On the other hand, he got annoyed that Myungsoo got the endless knot on his wrist. Taehyun laughed and about it. It was noisy and he got in deep trouble with Lucifer but aside that, he was kind of happy to be part of Ra Hee’s family.

“So,” She raised an eyebrow. Myungsoo was worse than Sunggyu. He was standing there, in the corner, watching her like a hawk. “When are you going to leave?” It was annoying.

“When you’ll be discharged?” She snorted.

“Why? Don’t you like me by your side?”

“No.” Her response was cold. He didn’t care at all what she was accepting and what she hated. Therefore, he didn’t budge from his seat for the rest of the day.

Friends came over and left. Dongwoo and Dongwoon came as well. She wasn’t surprised by that but her behavior was distant. She built a wall between her and people all over again.

“How are you feeling?” Dongwoo’s bright face was visibly not as bright and positive as before. She’s been having the same expression with everyone who came and visited. “Look, Ra Hee, it’s not like it was a secret.” She raised an eyebrow and stared at him with an unreadable face.

“You’ve been lying to me from the very first time we met,” He shook his head.

“We didn’t know who you are. We’ve been through some hard times and when we got this deal, it just opened so many doors” She scoffed and leaned towards him.

“You made a deal with Leviathan and Belphegor. They personally take over your bodies when they feel like it. Does this sound like an opportunity?” He sighed and tried to grab her arm. She moved it quickly and narrowed her eyes at him. “I thought we were friends”

“We are! We are friends, Ra Hee. We genuinely like each other and we get on well with each other. I really believed Baekhyun when he told me that you left with your family and that you let your cousins stay in your apartment” She chuckled and rubbed her face. It was really funny how messed up everything was. She was going crazy.

“Why did you move next door?” Dongwoo frowned. It was an expression she had never seen on his face. He was alone with her in the room. Dongwoon got smacked in the head when he tried to enter. Sunggyu was guarding her like his own life depended on it; which kind of was.

“Sometimes, I do things at night and have no memory of it in the morning. But there was this time when I could remember. I dreamt about you and I dreamt your address” That was creepy on so many levels. “I’m sorry but I had to find you and see it for myself. You were real, surprisingly. And you were a genuinely nice person. I didn’t understand why you were so important for the demons but I do now”

“I am the commander” He nodded. “I make demons go against their natural flow. I make them care yet all I get are lies and pain” Dongwoo looked down at his hands and started to feel bad. “I’m dangerous. Maybe you should move as far away as possible from me” He chuckled.

“No. We’re not going to do that. I was serious when I said you got stuck with us. We’re not going to leave you when you need us the most” She glanced at the door.

“I heard that before. He’s standing right outside this door. But he’s never there when I most need him. Never” Dongwoo followed her sight and sighed heavily. She was definitely talking about Sunggyu.

 

The greed demon was not outside of her door though. He was in Baekhyun’s room, watching the human sleep.

“You should have said no to me. You should treasure your life more” Baekhyun wasn’t stupid. He faked sleep in case he wanted to talk about Ra Hee. Once the demon started to talk, the human opened his eyes. Sunggyu was an idiot and Baekhyun couldn't pretend he couldn't hear.

“I do. But I treasure Ra Hee too. She’s been deceived by so many people. She needs someone to take care of her”

“So that’s your job?” Baekhyun laughed. That quickly changed into coughing since his wound was serious and he still felt pressure on his chest.

“No. That’s your job” Sunggyu’s eyes narrowed at the human. “You better do your job from now on” The demon gulped and took a step back. He was feeling threatened for some unknown reason.

“I’m going to pa-“

“No. You do your job and I will do mine. I’m her best friend, I’m her brother, I’m anything but I’m not the one she loves with her entire being. That’s you” He pointed at the demon. “Take responsibility” Sunggyu opened his mouth to speak but Baekhyun wasn’t done yet. “Taehyun and Myungsoo admitted their care for her. I did it. Dongwoo did it. Kyungsoo did it. Even Beelzebub cares what happens to her. You are next” Sunggyu wasn’t taking it well at all. He was biting his lip and he was building up a lot of anger.

“Do I have a choice?” His voice was still calm, though.

Suddenly, Asmodeus’ words made sense. Baekhyun realized that no one involved had a choice or a chance to escape. They were all bundled up in a bubble that was floating in the middle of the ocean. No one knew they were there and no one was going to save them.

 

Later that night, Ra Hee was squirming in bed. She tried to sleep but every time she closed her eyes, she could see Lucifer’s black eyes. It was scary.

Once Sunggyu entered her room, she instantly calmed down. He stopped by the edge of the bed and stared at her.

“I hate you” She was really blunt. Sunggyu blinked and softened considerably.

“I know” She tilted her head to the side and continued to stare at him blankly.

“I really, really hate you” He walked closer until he got next to her. He leaned in and touched her nose with his.

“I know” His eyes moved down to her lips. Those rosy dangerous temptations. He leaned more but she moved her head to the side. “I’m sorry, Ra Hee”

“Me too. Now, I’d like you to leave me alone” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow but got away from her. “Not only now, Sunggyu. If you decide to leave, do it and never appear before me ever again. But if you don’t, stay” Sunggyu was taken aback.

“You can’t choose in Hell” She chuckled sarcastically.

“But we’re not in Hell, now. You’re in my world and in my world, you have to choose” Sunggyu gulped and disappeared. The little evil smirk on her face fell and she could feel her heart breaking a little bit more. Life was unfair.

 

Months passed quickly afterwards. Ra Hee’s wounds were minor and was discharged after two days. On the other hand, Baekhyun’s wound was deep and he needed more time to recover. He hated hospitals and begged to be released. The Doctor sighed and agreed on one condition: he had to stay in bed and be careful. However, when he got to his own home, his parents were being annoying. He called Ra Hee and told her to prepare the couch because he was coming over. She did it. It was the least she could do for him.

Myungsoo and Taehyun came back to normal. They were playing around and getting Zico in trouble. Myungsoo found that extraordinary satisfying. Surprisingly, Changmin was a good ghost guardian for the inheritor. When Changmin was around, Myungsoo was uncomfortable. Zico realized that having a ghost watch over him wasn’t as bad as before. He was wrong before and assumed that everything will get better.

Those ideas shattered quickly.

Dongwoo and Dongwoon didn’t leave. Instead, they started to drag Ra Hee out of her apartment to different bars and shows. She had until March to decide if she wanted or not to take the job at K University as a teacher. 

Months passed like that and Christmas came around.

 

"Why are you so stiff? It's the holiday season. You have to be happy!" Ra Hee raised an eyebrow. That sounded a lot like something Chen would say, not Baekhyun.

"I have to?" He nodded. "Do you even know how dangerous Christmas is?" Baekhyun rolled his eyes and jumped next to her.

He was ready to say some argument but her phone rang. Her eyes widened and she gulped. She pulled her legs closer to her chest and looked at her phone warily.

"Christmas parties" She whispered in horror. "Don't!" Baekhyun was ready to respond when she stopped him. "My mother will blackmail me into going to her Christmas party. She will even use my dad as leverage. She's evil" Baekhyun stared at her blankly. Evil. She was in no position to talk about that.

 

"Why is the phone ringing? Again" Myungsoo decided to visit since he didn't know much about Christmas. Of course, after he found out the story behind it, his opinion changed. But still, he liked sparkly things and Christmas was sparkly.

"Don't know. Don't care" Taehyun on the other side was in a bad mood. Mammon seemed to be excessively grumpy because of Belphegor. Taehyun was really curious how those two could get along so well when one was greedy and one was lazy. One cared too much and one didn't care at all. It was lousy there and it was lousy home, as well.

"Don't respond. She will go all crazy on you if you do" Baekhyun threatened. The two demons looked at each other and smirked. "You're looking for it" Baekhyun ran away from there. He went out with his girlfriend.

Taeyeon didn’t remember what happened and that she almost died. Baekhyun took advantage of that. He became very careful around her but he liked to squeeze some information from her as well; the one she knew unconsciously. He was playing with fire, though.

"Should we or should we not. That's the question." Taehyun commented.

"If you want to stay here, you should not." She was just passing by to get in the kitchen. Myungsoo rolled his eyes.

"Who cares what she says. We are free to do anything we want." The vanity demon continued.

"No, you are not. Coincidentally, I marked you both." She walked through the living and went back into her room. The two demons sighed in defeat. They couldn't argue with her last statement.

"Still don't know how she marked me," Myungsoo's vanity mark was almost impossible to change but she did.

"That's because you wanted it." The demons turned to Yoongi. He magically walked through the kitchen door. "You can change your sign if you want to. She is powerful enough but she also needs your agreement. You gave it to her long time ago."

"Ain't you so smart?" Myungsoo asked sarcastically. It was really suspicious how he knew so many things.

"Whatever," The phone started to ring again and their heads turned to it. Yoongi blinked and walked over. He grabbed the phone and responded. "Who's this?"

Myungsoo and Taehyun glanced at each other. She was going to fume in about an hour.

"Oh, a Christmas party? Very nice. Sure she'll be there. Bye!" Yoongi hung up and turned to Myungsoo. "What's Christmas?" For someone who knew so many things, that was unexpected.

 

When Ra Hee got a phone call one day, she hoped it was from Donghae. She had a lot to explain mostly because she kind of vanished for a while.

Unfortunately, it was from Yoseob.

"Your mother called me and told me we will have dinner together this weekend," Ra Hee was silent. "I had the same reaction. I told her that you're probably busy and can't make it but it seems she is expecting you home for Christmas." Her head snapped to the door. The living room was silent.

"And whom exactly did mom talk to?"

"A guy. She doesn't know his name.” He took a break and continued. “I didn't know you live with a man,"

"I don't. I babysit them." Yoseob was silent.

"Them?" He just wanted to be sure he heard right.

"Yes," So she was living with more than one guy. That was interesting "Anyway, I guess I'll see you Friday." She hung up and threw the phone on the bed. She walked in the living room and scanned the place.

Myungsoo was not there and she knew that he got an assignment from Beelzebub. Taehyun was next door with Dongwoon, playing video games and the human boys were actually home. They had families of their own. Baekhyun left reluctantly and she practically had to throw him out.

"Yoongi," She mumbled. He was the one who probably answered her phone. No matter what she was going to tell him, he was already exiled from Hell and sending him back was only going to create problems for her. She sighed and entered back into her room. She had no choice but go home.

 

"Are you sure you don't want me to haunt you while you're there?" Kyungsoo was worried. Even Myungsoo was worriedafter he saw her room. Her mother was crazily overprotective.

"No. It's my home and I have to get over the past with dignity not with another prescription to a psychiatrist."

On the way to Incheon, Ra Hee was thinking about a lot of back up plans. Her mother knew she wasn't working as a therapist but she didn't know she was working as a webtoon artist. Besides, she still had chapters to complete and give Junho. Christmas in publishing was pretty much for one day and the rest was work.

"Are you scared?" The female fairy looked up at Ra Hee and noticed her frown. "Your mother sent you to an Asylum before, didn't she?" Luckily, Ra Hee had the ear phones on.

"Yes. That happened a very long time ago," The fairy tilted her head to the side and blinked innocently. "I'm an adult now." She added.

"But she's still your mother," Well, that was true. "Wouldn't it be better to tell her the truth? It's better than lie to her."

"It's a little too late for that."

"But what will happen when you will suddenly die or leave and she won't be able to see you ever again?" Ra Hee turned her head and looked at the fairy. "It's better for her to know the truth even if she may not believe it. Consider just how much pain being the commander caused you. You don't want your parents to go through that."

"No. I don't."

She never thought about it like that. She never considered her mother's pain and issues. She was selfish and had reasons too. But she has seen Hell and lived through it. She didn't want her parents to feel anything close to that.

 

When she got off the train, she started to get all these crazy memories from her past. She was lying if she ever said she didn't have good memories. She walked past the store where her mother used to buy her sweets and the store where she first met Yoseob. She walked past the park where she first saw a ghost and noticed the woman was still there. Without thinking, she entered the playground. When she was young, that woman looked so weird and out of place. People where going right through her and she was so pale and dead. She was dead.

The ghost turned her head and noticed a young woman staring right at her. The woman seemed surprised.

"Do I know you?" The ghost appeared right in front of Ra Hee.

Suddenly, she didn't look as bad as before. She wasn't ugly or suspicious. She was a 40 years old woman who died in a car crash. She was the woman who told Ra Hee not to tell her secret to anyone.

"I did it." The ghost looked curiously at the human. "I did tell them I see ghosts." Her eyes widened and took a step back in both fear and surprise.

"Little Ahn Ra Hee," Ra Hee smiled and nodded. "You look different."

"I grew up. I'm almost 27 years old." The ghost chuckled and placed her hands on her shoulders. It was weird. She could touch Ra Hee.

"It's not that. Your eyes changed. That little girl I met before was innocent. She was a victim of the Underworld and its rules. But now, look at you. You have the eyes of a vanity demon and the sign of Hell. You're surrounded by darkness yet there is still something pure about you." Ra Hee's eyes softened. That woman was seeing right through her.

"I'm not the victim anymore," The ghost noticed someone walking behind Ra Hee.

"Then what are you now?" She glanced over her shoulder and saw someone she hadn't seen in a long time. The ghost disappeared in order to give them some privacy.

Yoseob was still the same baby faced boy she met in school. He was radiating this positive energy even when he was facing her. She was void next to him, who was an extraordinary young man.

"Nothing," She sighed and looked to the side. She couldn't even look him in the eye.

 

After their coincidental meeting, Yoseob decided to walk the rest of the way with her.

"I didn't expect you to come." She chuckled.

"I didn't either. This place hurt me more than you can imagine. But it's my home and I did have some great moments here."

"Did you ever read my letter?" She glanced at him. His face was contorted into a frown. He was tense. He was worried he might say something that would make her mad.

"I didn't." He gulped. That didn't sound good. "I didn't have to. It wasn't your fault. We both know how my mother is. I should have expected you to talk to her since she is my mom."

"You used to come in class all beaten up and you were always scratched or had this annoyed expression on her face. I was worried." His big brown eyes were full of mixed emotions. Unfortunately, hers weren't.

"It's fine. I found out why I was beaten and scratched. I found out who tortured me during school years." Yoseob nodded. But he was curious who that was. "He made my childhood a disaster." Yet she still loved him. No matter what he did -and he did a lot- she was still madly in love with him.

"I'm glad you're fine now. I met a friend of yours already," She froze. "He was interested in your past but he was already understanding you better than I ever could." So Baekhyun came to talk to Yoseob. Her right eyebrow twitched. She was going to have a talk with that little bastard.

"He is one of the guys I live with," Yoseob's eyes widened. "He is not my boyfriend. If anything, sometimes it feels like he is my son." Or a brother. But lately, she had to take care of him a lot since he became a magnet for trouble. She was sure it was for her and everything but making bets and asking favors from Asmodeus and Mammon was not good.

"He knew about you," She nodded.

"He- it's complicated. He is one of the people sent to me, to help me."

"So there are more." She nodded. "It seems like you finally know how to control your gift." She raised an eyebrow and stopped.

"Gift?" Yoseob smirked.

"Someone smart explained to me that what you have is a gift, not a curse. It depends how you use it." Ra Hee laughed and patted her childhood friend on the back.

"Good, good," Yoseob couldn't help but feel better seeing her smile and laugh. She looked well and healthy. She was radiating like a light in the tunnel.