Chapter 6

Ghost

 

Luhan pulled the tie and checked whether it looks neat or not. Then, he combed his hair to make sure that it doesn’t look messy when he gone to work. When everything is okay, he grabbed his bag and stood in front of his door.

He hesitates to go out right now. Joohyun is there. He didn’t know why but he finally realized his true feeling towards Joohyun. It is wrong obviously but she is the only girl that managed to attract him. Why does he have a feeling towards a ghost not a real lady? What is so special with this ghost than any girls around him?

 

He raised his hand towards the door knob but stops and heaves a sigh. How is he going to face her now? Can he look at her in the eye like every day except yesterday? He wants to avoid her. He didn’t want to look at her because it feels like he is in despair. He feels hopeless.

Yesterday, he asked Joohyun if she still in love with Youngwan. Luhan hoped that she said no but much to his disappointment, Joohyun told him that she couldn’t forget about him and it felt like everything he said was a lie.

Luhan couldn’t help but felt deeply hurt and angry with her answer. He was really mad when Joohyun still loves him even though Youngwan actually used her to get his girlfriend. He wanted to scold her and told her to open her eyes for what he did and forget about him but Luhan knew that it was no used to tell her that. Her friends were right. She was blinded by him.

 

Luhan gathered his courage and twists the door knob and opens the door. The first thing that he saw is Joohyun. Joohyun is preparing a breakfast for him as usual but today the mood of having a breakfast is totally disappeared.

Joohyun as usual smiled at him and he would usually smile back at her but not today.

“Luhan-shi, I make sandwich for today.” Joohyun told him for today’s breakfast.

Luhan sighed. She never called him ‘oppa’. Not even once. They are close and she could easily call him ‘oppa’ but no. Someone who doesn’t deserve to be called as ‘oppa’ is the one that she called him ‘oppa’.

 

Luhan didn’t say anything and walked passed by her making Joohyun confused. He went towards the door when he realized that someone is pulling him. He turned and saw Joohyun pulling him. It felt so real like she is a human. If only he could touch her.

“Why don’t you want to take your breakfast? And you forgot to take your lunch box.” Joohyun said with a pout while pointing his lunch box that was on the table.

 

As much as she looks so cute while pouting, he didn’t want to fall for it. Luhan likes to joke on her saying that he didn’t want to take breakfast making Joohyun pout and even do aegyo to him that makes him melt in instant. He needs to realize that she did this to her ex-boyfriend too or even more than that so he won’t feel like she treated him special.

 

Joohyun dragged him to the dining table and took the sandwich and gave it to him like she wants to feed him. Luhan avoids it and walked away but Joohyun pulled him back and eventually shoved the sandwich to his mouth.

Luhan didn’t open his mouth but he was so taken aback with her action. Some of the fillings from the sandwich drop on his shirt. In the end, he ate the sandwich.

Joohyun gave his lunch box to him. “Have a nice day!” Joohyun wished him and Luhan didn’t say anything at all. He just walked out from his house without saying thank you or even a goodbye. Joohyun was confused with his action but shrugged it off.

 


 

Luhan sat on his chair and opens his laptop. While doing something on his laptop, his workmate the TV and the news is on. Luhan isn’t interested with the news right now and only focuses on his work.

 

“Right now, we’re at the house of Seo Jinhyuk, the CEO of SEO Architecture Company who recently caught a lot attention for his family revelation. Last week, we found out that his wife, Son Eunseo was murdered brutally in airport. Then, we also found out that his daughter, Seo Joohyun who was believed to committed suicide but the truth is that she was murdered. Today, we found new information about Seo Jinhyuk’s another family member; Seo Seulgi is revealed to be missing and couldn’t be found until today. The question is whether Seo Seulgi is still alive or perhaps she is dead like her mother or sister? We will wait for Seo Jinhyuk to give an opinion regarding this situation.”

 

Luhan turned to the TV where the reporter delivered the news about Seulgi. Wait! That’s not right! No one supposed to know about Seulgi. How did they found out about it? He watched the TV and apparently there are a lot of reporters at Seo Jinhyuk’s house now.

Suddenly, Luhan remembered about Minseok and Kyungsoo. Will they be fine? What if the reporters found out about them too? That’s what they want. They want a story about Seo Jinhyuk’s family. Three down, two to go.

 

He went out from the office and go to somewhere that is no one around. He took out his phone to call Minseok. He needs to know where he and Kyungsoo are and Luhan was hoping that they are fine.

He waited for Minseok to answer his call and he couldn’t stop mumbling so that Minseok would answer him. After a few ring, Minseok answers his call. Luhan relieved that he answered it.

“Hyung?” Minseok said with trembling voice that could be heard clearly by Luhan.

“Minseok, where are you? Where is Kyungsoo?”

“We’re at home. We were hiding inside our walk-in closet. Hyung, there are a lot of people outside. They are so noisy. We’re scared.”

“Hyung, please help us.” Luhan heard Kyungsoo said in terrified.

Luhan noticed that both of them stated that they are so frightened with what happened outside their house right now. He remembered that Joohyun said that if they show their weakness to someone, that means they trust that person so much that they know that person will protect them.

 

He couldn’t wait any longer as he dashed to the news department office. He knocked the door and come in after that.

“Mr. Park, I want you to call our reporters back to the office now. Please don’t make any news coverage about Mr. Seo Jinhyuk’s personal life and problem.” Luhan told to Mr. Park straight away.

Mr. Park was confused with Luhan’s action and asks him why did he do that and threaten that he will be fired for his action. Luhan begged to him to do what he asked to but Mr. Park disagrees. He had no choice but told Mr. Park that he wants to meet with the CEO and explain everything to him.

 

He went to the CEO’s office and was glad that the CEO is at his office. He met the CEO, Mr. Jung Yunho to explain everything to him. He said that he met with Seo Jinhyuk personally and it was his request for Luhan to find his missing daughter. He also said that he needs to respect Seo Jinhyuk’s personal life since it has nothing to do with what’s going on now and he wants to protect them.

“If that’s what you want, then I accept it but with one condition.” Mr. Jung gave him a condition. “All the Seo Jinhyuk’s related news will be under your responsibility now.”

Luhan gasped when Mr. Jung ordered him to lead everything about Seo Jinhyuk’s news. That means he has to take Sehun’s job for reporting about Son Eunseo’s death. He has a lot of work to do now and he is not sure if he can handle it.

 


 

Mr. Jung Yunho made an announcement regarding the Seo Jinhyuk’s news which will be under Luhan from now on. All the workers surprised with the sudden announcement and started to talk about him.

Luhan noticed that he became an attention to a lot of workers from both departments. He is only a freelancer not a full-time worker. Not to mention, he is a photojournalist. So, how does he get everything of what reporters should do?

 

He met Sehun at the news department. Sehun was on his social networking site with his laptop when Luhan went to his place. He felt guilty for taking his job and afraid that he would get mad at him. It’s time for Luhan to tell the truth to Sehun on why he took all Seo Jinhyuk’s related news.

Luhan cleared his throat and Sehun turned to him with his brow raised, confused why he is here.

“Shouldn’t you be doing your job now, reporter Luhan?” Luhan flinched with Sehun’s remark. He is not sure if Sehun is serious or mocking him.

 

“I’m sorry.” Sehun frowned when Luhan apologized. “I took your job.”

Sehun smiled at him and pats his shoulder. “You don’t have to. I’m happy that you try to do something else.” Sehun actually was so disappointed with it but he is a positive person. When he thought something positive about Luhan took his job, he shrugged it off his disappointment.

Sehun helped him to apply the job as photojournalist for him but sometimes it’s not easy for him to have something to do because there are a lot of workers here. Besides that, he is not a full-time worker. Sehun thought maybe Luhan can become a reporter since both of them took journalist course when they were in university. It’s like a waste for Luhan taking journalist course but only to end up with something else.

 

“How about lunch?” Luhan offered a lunch with Sehun because he wants to tell him something.

“Why? Today you’re lazy to cook for your lunch box?” Both of them chuckled.

 


 

Luhan and Sehun were at their favorite café to have their lunch. It’s been a long time since they had lunch together especially after Luhan brought his lunch box to his office. They talked about random things and what happened to their surroundings.

“I heard that you met the CEO to give you to do coverage for Seo Jinhyuk’s news.” Luhan blinked his eyes when Sehun said that. “And I also heard that you asked Mr. Park to call-out the reporters that went to Seo Jinhyuk’s house.”

So that’s what they talked about him. Luhan gulped before told Sehun the truth. “Promise that you won’t tell anybody about this.” He didn’t anyone to know about this.

Sehun frowned but nodded at him. Luhan looked around to make sure that no one is around. He took a deep breath and told everything to Sehun about Seo Jinhyuk and how he personally knows him. He also mentioned that he met his children and they trust him to find Seulgi as well as his wife and daughter’s murderer. However, he didn’t tell him about he met Joohyun’s ghost.

Sehun who was keenly listening to him was dazed with Luhan’s story. Luhan met Seo Jinhyuk before and even personally talks to him. He even met his children which becomes the most anticipating news throughout the nation.

 

“So that’s why all the news about him will be under you now.”

“Actually, Mr. Jung asked me to lead that news. I don’t know if I could do it. I can’t do this alone.” Luhan expressed his concern about how is he going to handle with this.

Sehun patted his shoulder and fist-pumped. “Fighting! I know you can do it. But if you need any help, I will forever open my arms to help you.”

Luhan smiled at Sehun. He is lucky to have a friend that always there for him.

 


 

Luhan entered his house and Joohyun was watching TV at the living room. Upon noticing that Luhan is back, Joohyun quickly stood up while facing herself to Luhan and gave a smile to him. But much to her disappointment, Luhan had his poker face on just like this morning.

She couldn’t figure out what happened to him and he was fine yesterday so it doesn’t make sense that something has happened to him.

 

“I made a dinner for you. Go and eat.” Joohyun pointed at the dining table where it filled with food.

Luhan didn’t react anything and he walked into his room straight away without looking at the food. Joohyun was confused with his action and decided to ask him if there’s anything wrong.

 

“Are you okay, Luhan-shi?” Luhan turned to see Joohyun who was in his room while he was changing his shirt.

Luhan opened his wardrobe to take his night shirt. “Don’t you know how to knock? I was changing my shirt here."

“Well, I was worried about you. It seems like you were trying to avoid me. Is there anything happened?” ‘I try to avoid you so that I could forget my feelings for you.’ Luhan thought.

 

“Nothing.” Luhan answered coldly.

“Then, why don’t you want to have a dinner?”

“I’m full.” Luhan pulled his blanket and lies on the bed with his back facing Joohyun.

Joohyun sat at edge of his bed. “What did you eat just now?”

Luhan sat upright in furious. “Listen! I just got back from work and you’re nagging me like you are my mother. Can you just leave me alone for once?”

Joohyun surprised when Luhan suddenly burst in anger. On the other hand, Luhan didn’t mean to shout at her like that but it’s really hurt for him liking her when she didn’t feel the same thing and they are in different world.

He hissed before covered himself completely with a blanket and Joohyun leaves his room.

 

After a few hours, Joohyun came into Luhan’s room again and sits at the edge of the bed. She was looking at him who was sleeping peacefully. She didn’t know what is wrong with him today.

Luhan’s blanket is wrapped around his legs only while his upper body is exposed. Joohyun felt like the room is quite cold and noticed that Luhan shivered a little bit.

She pulled his blanket up to his chest and plants a kiss on his forehead.

 


 

Joohyun went to her house to see her family. By the time she reached her house, she was surprised with the reporters hanging around outside of her house even though it’s midnight now. She couldn’t believe that they would do everything just to get information about her family.

 

She walked inside her house and finds her father and brothers. First, she went into her brothers’ room but they were not there. She looked at their walk-in closet and passed through it.

Just like what she expected, they are here. This is like their hiding place where they need to be alone. She knew it. Everyone in their family have a space for where they need to be alone for a moment. When they are in that space, no one should be there or talk to them until they ready to go out.

Joohyun kneeled in front of with a smile. Both of them were sleeping while hugging each other and they look so cute. She took her chance to ruffle Minseok’s hair and caress Kyungsoo’s cheek at the same time making both of them awake.

They looked at each other with a smile and Minseok ruffles Kyungsoo’s hair while Kyungsoo caresses Minseok’s cheek before they drifted to sleep.

 

Then, she went to her father’s room. At first, she went into his bedroom but he was nowhere to be found. She thought that he might be in his office and she was right. Her father is in there.

She went to him closely and saw her father was holding their family picture where everyone is smiling and laughing happily. Seo Jinhyuk dropped the picture on the table and covers his face with his palms and starts sobbing.

Joohyun felt bad looking at her father like this. She slowly put her hand on his shoulder.

Seo Jinhyuk flinched and turned his back because he felt like there is someone touching his shoulder but when he turned, no one is there.

 


 

Joohyun went to Luhan’s house after visiting her family. When she went inside, her eyes widened after she saw Luhan sitting on the couch at the living room while drinking soju using the bottle only. She quickly pulled the bottle from his mouth to prevent him drinking too much.

“Why did you drink this? Do you know that it is bad for your health?” She scolded him.

 

Luhan couldn’t think anything straight but he is still fine for now. There are the times he could handle the alcohol but sometimes he couldn’t. His tears flowed non-stop and Joohyun surprised when he suddenly cried.

He staggered to his feet and goes straight to the wall. Joohyun immediately pulled him when he started to bang his head to the wall.

 

“What is wrong with you?”

“I’m so stupid and now I’m becoming crazy. I should go to mental hospital if this thing is going on.” Luhan mumbled drunkenly.

Joohyun didn’t understand what he meant. Why does he need to go to mental hospital? What does this thing he meant?

 

“Why?”

Luhan laughed like a real crazy guy. “I- like you. Do you know that? I like you Seo Joohyun. It’s crazy, right? You’re a ghost but I like you.” He laughed again. “Damn it, I really should register my name to the mental hospital now before everything is turning worse.”

Joohyun stunned with Luhan’s sudden confession. Is he for real or because he is drunk?

 

“If you’re going there, I will follow you. I won’t leave you alone.” Luhan looked at her in the eye. “I’m in the same boat as you. I thought that I’m crazy for liking you.” She confessed to him that she likes him too.

“What about Youngwan?” Luhan asked her about Youngwan.

“I attracted to you on the first day we met. Because I’m very loyal to Youngwan, I don’t want to develop any feelings towards you but after I found out about him, I cried for my stupidity. Why am I so naïve? I was so heartbroken about that but you talked to me and made everything better. I never thought that I would feel calm towards someone that I just know. I forget about him when you are by my side.” Joohyun’s tears started to fall slowly.

 

Luhan looked at her teary eyes like the first time. It’s like a fragile glass that soon to be broke. When her tears fall, his heart hurt is like someone just stabbed him. He wants to hug her but he forgot that she is a ghost and passes through her.

Joohyun turned to him with his back facing her. She walked towards him slowly and back hugged him while leaning her head on his shoulder blade.

Luhan could feel her hug but he can’t touch her hands. He tried to touch it but failed. After that, he turned to her.

 

Joohyun moves closer to Luhan. “Stand still and don’t move at all.” She told him.

 

Joohyun caressed his cheeks with her thumbs to wipe away all his tears. She leaned to his face before her lips met with his lips.

Luhan was surprised at first but he followed her order; stand still and don’t move at all or else he is not feeling anything.

He closed his eyes and his tears slowly dripping from his eyes. His lips didn’t move at all and he couldn’t reply the kiss.