Chapter 4

Ghost

 

Joohyun went inside Luhan’s house after calming herself down. She was so disappointed when Luhan said something about her family. She gets that he didn’t know anything about her family but he shouldn’t say that way. It makes her father looks bad.

She decided that it would be better if she told Luhan about her parents. She knew that her brothers’ reaction towards her death might mistake him as they didn’t care about her at all. It’s not that Minseok and Kyungsoo didn’t care about her. Obviously, they love one another so much but they have to act that way.

Joohyun stepped towards Luhan’s room and he was there sitting in front of his laptop typing something. Luhan was working on the photos from that school. Joohyun leaned forward to look what he was doing. Her sudden appearance making Luhan jumped in surprise.

 

“What are you doing here? How did you get in here?” Luhan panted. He was so surprise that he almost hit her.

Joohyun looked at the door with Luhan follow her suit. Right! She’s a ghost.

“What do you want?” He asked her hoarsely.

Joohyun played with her fingers and gulped before she said, “I’m sorry.”

Luhan frowned with her sudden apologize.

“You don’t know anything, so I shouldn’t get mad about that.” She muttered slowly while looking down.

Luhan looked at her. He felt bad for accusing her father when he had no idea about her family. Guess he was too much for doing that. “I would like to apologize to you too. For talking about your parents like that.” He decided to apologize to her as well. He was the reason why she’s mad at him. Maybe his curiosity about her family is interested him, especially if she is the daughter of Seo Jinhyuk.

 

“Since you wanted to know about my parents, I think this is the time where I will tell about them to you. But can you promise me one thing?” So she will tell Luhan about her parents now which made Luhan looked so eager about that. But before that she asked him to promise to her which Luhan nodded. “Please don’t tell anyone about this. This is my first time telling about my parents to a stranger.”

Although Luhan didn’t get what she meant, he nodded because he wanted to know about her parents. Joohyun took a deep breath before starts her story about her father.

 

“As you know, yes, my father is Seo Jinhyuk, the CEO of SEO Architecture Company that is very well known is South Korea. I’m pretty sure you have seen him everywhere, right?” Joohyun referred that Luhan might have seen her father on TV, newspapers, magazines or any media. Luhan nodded before she continued.

“My father knows how the media works. There are some media who like to talk about his success of his company and some tried to find out his private life which is our family too.” She stops for a while before continues.

“Some media even tried to spoil his name by creating rumors and lies. He knew better because his family experienced before. His family was fine back then until a tabloid made a rumor that my grandfather having an affair with other lady and even had a baby together. That caused a fight between my grandparents and eventually they divorced.” Luhan gulped hearing her story. Who would have thought that a rumor could ruin someone’s life?

 

“My grandfather was so depressed with his life as he received a lot of insults from public. They called him a cheater and a jerk for ruining a lady’s life behind his wife’s back. The workers from his company resigned because they didn’t want to work with him anymore or they had to because other people viewed them badly. His company also lost a lot of contract because of that rumor.” Joohyun sighed thinking about her grandfather.

“My father took over his company but nothing can be saved anymore. The company was about to bankrupt. The news about the company is going to bankrupt had spread really fast and they really believed that the company is officially closed.” Joohyun paused and looks at Luhan with a smile.

“But they’re wrong. They didn’t know that my father took over the company. He had to do a lot of works with his own to make sure that the company keep going. My mother helped him too. He wouldn’t be this successful if it’s not my mother. They went to oversea to meet their clients and the clients were satisfied with them. They went there and made a deal quietly. That’s when the public found out that the company is still active and was run by my father but they didn’t know about my mother.”

 

Luhan can’t help but admired with Seo Jinhyuk. He’s surely struggled a lot but he proved that he could do it even only with his wife beside him. But Luhan wondered why the public didn’t know about his wife. Didn’t both of them were together?

“Why the public didn’t know your mother?” Both of her parents worked hard for it and it seems like Seo Jinhyuk got his name alone.

“My mother asked to. After what happened, it’s better the public didn’t know about her at all. My mother didn’t mind all that because it’s my father’s company in the first place. The most important is that my mother hates attention to the guts. She rather be a shadow than being under the spotlight.” She chuckled a little.

 

“And what happened to your grandfather?” Luhan wondered what happened to her depressed grandfather.

“He was too depressed and he couldn’t take it anymore. He committed suicide in the end. My grandmother came to his funeral and regretted for what she had done. She learned the truth that my grandfather is innocent. She died in an accident on the day after my grandfather’s funeral. The police said that my grandmother committed suicide by over sped her car and hit the tree.” Joohyun told him sadly. Luhan guessed that committed suicide does run in her family.

 

“The reason why we never tell anyone about our parents is because they asked us not to reveal about it. The media are everywhere and they will do everything to get the information about our family. My father told us that if we were known, they will do everything to bring us down. He cared about us a lot.” She said with a smile. Seo Jinhyuk really loves his family and he wanted to protect them after being experienced in some kind of his ruined life. He didn’t want to see his family like that but Luhan wondered how he feels now since he lost two persons that he loves at once.

 

“About my mother, she’s a cold person and never showed any expression to other people but she’s a loving and caring person. She said that when she was young, she was a bright and cheerful girl but was often bullied a lot because she was adopted. From there, she started to fight back and became a cold person. She knew that we will get bullied by other students because we won’t tell them our parents’ name. So she taught us this so that we won’t look like a weak person or a loser.” She continued.

“I hope you don’t misunderstand with my brothers’ reaction. They act like they don’t care from the outside but from the inside, we are actually quite fragile. I went back home yesterday and only to see them crying because of me and our mother as well as Seulgi who is still missing. We did that because we don’t want to look weak in front of people but we usually opened up to someone that we really trust which is never happen.”

 

Guess Luhan finally got his answer. They did become an emotional person too. Although he couldn’t understand why they had to act like they don’t care, at least he knows that they love her so much. It must be really hard for them not to reveal their parents name that they were bullied by other students. Luhan asked her how she exactly feels after her mother’s death.

Joohyun told him that after Luhan gone to work, she couldn’t stop crying thinking about her mother that have been killed in such way. She wondered who could have done that. She doesn’t even remember if her mother has any enemies around which is impossible because her mother don’t have any friends. Her mother would attach to her children or her husband.

 


 

Luhan was working in his office as usual and received a call from the police that they reopened the ‘Hope School’. Luhan was happy that he able to go there and continued what he was left. He couldn’t wait to go there. He wanted to finish his task as soon as possible. However, the police didn’t say anything about what exactly happened to Joohyun.

 

“Luhan-shi, Mr. Kim called you.”

He heard someone called him and told him to go to Mr. Kim’s office. Luhan hoped that he didn’t change the deadline for his task again. He will tell him that he would finish it by today.

He knocked the door and comes in after he heard Mr. Kim told him to come in. Mr. Kim sat on the couch provided in his office but he’s not alone there. There’s Park Jungsu, the editor of newspaper department in Mr. Kim’s office.

Luhan took a seat on the couch after he was instructed by Mr. Kim. He was nervous when there are two editors right in front of him. He prepared for the worst.

 

“So Luhan-shi, I heard that you found a dead girl at Hope School.” Mr. Park began his words with the news about he found Joohyun. Again!

“Do you know who is she?” He asked him about Joohyun. Luhan pretended that he didn’t know her, although he met her every day.

“She is Seo Joohyun, the daughter of Seo Jinhyuk. You know who he is, aren’t you?” Luhan was surprised with that. No! He didn’t fake that reaction. He was obviously surprised. How did Mr. Park know about this?

“Since Mr. Kim told me that your task has been postponed, I would like you to do something.” Luhan was about to tell him that he would be able to go back to that school again but was cut by Mr. Park. “I want you to do a report and investigate about her.”

Mr. Park’s order froze him in his place. Why does he have to do that? But the most important is how Mr. Park found out about Joohyun. “Are you sure that she’s Seo Jinhyuk’s daughter?” He didn’t want to look obvious that he knows her.

“Yes! There’s a lot of article from other tabloid. Only our tabloid didn’t cover this news. Mr. Kim told me that you actually found her while doing your task. I think we have an advantage for that. We need to compete with other tabloids. I hope you accept this.” Luhan couldn’t think anything right now. Should he accept this? What about Joohyun? He needs to discuss with her first but Mr. Park wants an answer like now.

Suddenly, he remembered that Joohyun once told him that he needs to find her justice for her death. Those words have been in his mind ever since he met her. He really believed that she committed suicide but his heart said she wasn’t.

After a few discussions, he finally agrees to accept Mr. Park’s task. Now, he has two tasks that he needs to be done; Mr. Park’s task- to report about Joohyun, and Mr. Kim’s task.

 


 

Luhan didn’t know what he should do first since this is the first time he will make a report about someone’s death. He might take journalism course in university but his heart is always in photography. Since he works for photography, he kind of forgotten how to do a report, what he should do first. He was really nervous.

Luckily he has Sehun. Currently, Sehun is in-charged for Joohyun’s mother’s death. Sehun will help him for sure.

 

Luhan pressed the lift button and entered once the lift is opened. Right now, he is in hospital. The hospital where Joohyun’s body is placed for post-mortem. When the lift is opened after he reached his floor, his eyes were wide open with number of people in front of him. He assumed that they are reporters from other press.

He slowly and nervously walked towards them. He could feel that he is really small around them. Being a rookie reporter is definitely making him intimidated with everyone right now. They were thousand times more experience than him.

 

All of sudden, the reporters gathered to the front door and kept pushing each other. There were a lot of flashing lights from the camera that blinded him. Luhan didn’t know what’s going on. Why are they like this? Being the one who lacks of experience, he didn’t want to be rude to them so he just stood there like waiting until everything to settle down. If Sehun or anyone else from newspaper department is with him, he needs to prepare his ears to listen their scolding.

 

He felt someone tapped his shoulder and turns to his back. Minseok and Kyungsoo were there. Their face looked so uncomfortable and he wondered why. Before he could ask them something, Minseok dragged him to the lift.

“I’m sorry, boys. I need to do some work. I can’t talk to you now.” Luhan politely told them but Minseok grabbed his arm tightly and told him to follow them. Kyungsoo assured him that he will get what he wants if he is willing to follow them.

Luhan had no choice but to follow them since Minseok didn’t let him go. They dragged him to the black car and there’s someone inside at the driver seat. Minseok opened the front passenger seat told Luhan to get in, in which Luhan followed his order. Both of the boys sat at the back seat. Their expression is quite scary to be honest.

“Mr. Lee.” Minseok called the driver whom he called ‘Mr. Lee’ before nodded at him. Mr. Lee began to drive.

 

They took him to their house except this time, it’s different than before. They let him enter their house; their own house, not the guest house that Joohyun claimed that it was for guest.

Luhan sat on the sofa opposite to them. Luhan tried his best to avoid the eye contact between them. Their eyes are like stabbing his heart directly and he felt nothing but scared.

A maid entered while bringing a tray with cups and saucers on it. She put it on the table for three of them.

“Thank you.” Luhan thanked her and she replied with a smile but the boys just nodded at her. She just nodded at them with a smile. Luhan wondered how she handled with these cold boys.

 

“Have a drink, Luhan hyung. Can we call you hyung?” Kyungsoo asked him.

Luhan stunned with Kyungsoo’s question. Usually, people will ask their permission first before they were allowed to do something but for Kyungsoo, it’s the other way around.

He cleared his throat and nodded with a smile but as usual, no reaction for him. He wanted to ask them so badly why he is here but the words couldn’t come out from his mouth. His tongue froze to form a word.

He looked around the house. It was really big and a lot of expensive furniture there. His eyes caught their family photos that were hanging on the wall. What makes him surprise is that they looked so happy in those photos. It’s so not them. For the first time, he seen Minseok and Kyungsoo’s bright smile for all those photos.

He even saw Joohyun smiling happily in each photo. There’s another girl in the picture who Luhan never met before but somehow he did saw her before. Right! It’s Seulgi. From what Luhan observed from the picture, Joohyun and Kyungsoo looked alike with their mother while Minseok and Seulgi looked alike with Seo Jinhyuk.

 

The door was opened by someone and Minseok and Kyungsoo stood up immediately. Luhan stood up as well upon seeing them. A man around 40s came in and it was Seo Jinhyuk. Minseok and Kyungsoo greeted him while Luhan couldn’t believe that Seo Jinhyuk is in front of him. He immediately bowed to him but his nervous is totally showing.

“Dad, he is the guy who found Joohyun, Mr. Luhan.” Minseok introduced him to his father as the guy who found Joohyun. Sigh. He has no name to introduce to him other than that.

Seo Jinhyuk offered a handshake and Luhan shook his hand. His hand trembled after shaking with Seo Jinhyuk. It was like a dream. He needs someone to pinch him or at least slap him to wake up from his dream.

“So he’s the one that you’re talking about. Have a seat, Mr. Lu.” So the boys told Seo Jinhyuk about Luhan. Now, he is really nervous.

“My boys told me that they saw you at the hospital and they brought you here.” Luhan nodded because it’s true. “I guess that you want to do some interview. You may ask any question. I will answer it.”

Luhan blinked without any reaction. Well, he wasn’t expected that. It seems like he gets a special treatment from them but why. Why him? Why Luhan, the new reporter out of all hundreds of more experienced reporters? Is it because that he found Joohyun?

Luhan snapped out his thought and takes out a pen and notebook. He cleared his throat and began to ask some questions about Joohyun.

According to doctor, Joohyun was murdered not committed suicide. The autopsy report shows that there’s a thin strangled mark around her neck and assumed that she was strangled until death. Luhan froze when he hears that. Joohyun was right. She was murdered. And he didn’t believe her at all. He felt guilty for accusing her.

 

“What about your wife?” Luhan proceeded to the next question; about his wife.

Seo Jinhyuk heaved a heavy sigh. “I don’t know where Eunseo was going. I’m not with her that time.” Luhan frowned with his answer. How a husband didn’t know where his wife is going or not being with her? “We decided to go our way separately in public to avoid them to know about Eunseo. She hates attention so much.”

Luhan remembered when Joohyun mentioned about how her mother kept herself away from media because she hates attention so much. Luhan thought that this interview is too much because it reveals about Seo Jinhyuk family which is his biggest fears. This is wrong. He should kept his family especially the one who still alive in private.

 

“Luhan-shi, can I ask you for something?” Seo Jinhyuk wants to make a request for him and he knows what it is. Don’t reveal anything about his family. “Please find Seulgi.” Seo Jinhyuk pleaded to him.

That was totally unexpected for Luhan. Why would he ask him to find his daughter when it is supposed to be the police’s job?

“I’m very sorry, Mr. Seo. I don’t want to involve the police matters. I mean the police will find your daughter not me.” Luhan told him making Seo Jinhyuk chuckled. “I can’t trust the police. They are corrupted sometimes.”

Luhan told him that he is a reporter and it’s quite well known that reporter can twist their story in order to make it more interesting. He didn’t want him to be in another situation of his late father.

“I trust you, Luhan-shi. I really am. You remind me of her.” Luhan blinked in confusion. “You remind me of Joohyun. A lot. Somehow I can see her deep in your eyes, Luhan-shi.”

 


 

Luhan came back home and he was welcomed with the frying sound from the kitchen indicating someone is cooking. He put the groceries on the dining table and heads to the kitchen. Joohyun was putting the chicken in the frying pan.

It’s been a week Joohyun stayed at his home and he didn’t know why but he started to like her presence here. She did everything for him; cooking, cleaning and laundry. Yes, he is one lazy guy. But he’s thankful for that. He can’t wait to eat Joohyun’s cooked food because it’s really delicious. He didn’t know why he feels like this but he felt weird whenever Joohyun is with him. She might be a ghost but there’s something about her that attracts him.

While Luhan was eating, Joohyun took the groceries and placed them somewhere. This time, Luhan bought everything what she wanted perfectly because for the past days, he bought something that was different than what she wanted. Luckily, she was able to improvise the food.

 

“Joohyun, your chicken is really tasty.” Luhan shouted from dining table earning a giggle from Joohyun. “It’s better than restaurant. You should cook for me forever.” He told her playfully.

“What am I to you? A maid?” She retorted.

“You’re the one who started first. I didn’t ask you to cook for me. But basically, you’re my maid.” He defended himself without forgetting to joke on her.

“Then, pay my salary!”

“I can’t pay you. You’re a ghost.”

“Okay, I won’t cook for you anymore.”

“Don’t be like that. You can be a person who does the job without getting paid like housewife.”

 

Joohyun dropped the apple that was on her hand after he said housewife. She slowly turned to him but he was too busy eating that he didn’t realized that Joohyun is blushing.

Luhan’s phone rang and it was from Seo Jinhyuk. He answered it and he was told to come to their house now. He wondered why he had to come to his house at night.

 

Luhan came to Seo Jinhyuk’s house and all three of them looked so worried. “What’s wrong, Mr. Seo?” Luhan asked him seeing his worried look.

“Here.” He gave an envelope to Luhan which makes him frown. He opened it and there’s a picture in it. He took a look of the picture and his eyes widened in shock.

 

It’s a picture of Seulgi being tied in a room.