It Began

Your Hand In Mine

It began simply: with a dare.

During our early days as trainees, Jiyong thought it would be a brilliant idea to bond by playing what he innocently called a "get to know you" game. It wasn't until we were sitting in a tight little circle on the bedroom floor that he revealed that what he had meant to say was "truth or dare." I was petrified. Being roomed with strangers was hard enough - I was painfully shy - but to be expected to reveal my secrets was a fate I considered worse than death. Seunghyun, though, thought it was the best idea ever.

I can still remember the way his lips twisted up into that devilish smile of his and how his jetty eyes twinkled. He was already elbow-deep in plans by the time Jiyong had finished introducing the game; I was doomed.

The first round, of course, went to Jiyong. After all, he was the leader and it was his game. He had cast his eyes about for a moment, exaggerating his pout as he pretended to scrutinize us, before he turned to Youngbae. "Truth or dare?" Ever the daring soul, Youngbae selected dare, and things spiraled out of control from there. By the time midnight rolled around, Jiyong was missing an eyebrow, Seungri was wearing a shirt for pants, and Youngbae was wearing fake eyelashes borrowed (stolen, more like) from a female trainee.

Fluttering his long eyelashes, Youngbae turned to me. "Truth or dare?"

I felt my palms begin to itch with sweat. "Uh." Truth was dangerous: He could ask me anything and I'd have to answer. Dare was perhaps even scarier based on the ridiculousness of the most recent challenges. But, being made to do something foolish seemed less terrible, so I quickly uttered, "Dare."

Youngbae smirked. "I dare you..." He looked around the circle. "To hold hands with Seunghyun hyung for the rest of the night!"

It was not as bad as I had been expecting. Turning to the brunette at my side, I tried to give him a smile, but I'm sure the hint of terror in my eyes made it look pained. Before I could ask permission, Seunghyun took my sweaty hand in his and gave it a squeeze. My heart rate increased a hundredfold.