002

The Book of Peace

 

 

Sun-Hee walked down the hall, struggling under a heavy cloak that dragged across the marble floor and the combined weight of her journal, which was tucked safely in her arms. No emotion showed on her face, but it was evident in the dark circles under her eyes that she hadn’t slept a wink and her slightly pink nose made it obvious that she had been crying. Murmurs from people on the sides could be heard, as she continued down the corridor but she ignored them. It didn’t matter what they said, what anyone said. No one could stop her now.

 

She paused in front of a grand set of doors, letting out a deep breath before she grabbed the giant ornate knocker on the door. It emitted a loud booming sound that notified the person inside that someone was here.

 

“Come in,” she heard, before allowing herself to enter.

 

“I’m ready,” Sun-Hee immediately said as she strolled up a desk that sat in the middle of the room, a male sitting behind it. She slammed her journal down on the desk, finally taking in her surroundings. Papers were thrown here and there and it was obvious that the man was busy with probably much more important things, this however, didn’t stop her. The man sighed, far too exhausted to argue with the girl. After all, he was the one who was busy taking care of the aftermath of the party.

 

“Sun-Hee, please. Don’t do this, this isn’t what your brother-”

 

“Doesn’t matter. Woohyun is not here anymore. Being the last of the Nam family it is my duty and honor to finally take my position as Oracle. This is what I’ve been training for my whole life” She said firmly, not taking no for an answer. “With the book of peace stolen and….my brother’s death, there is not a lot of time. I will be setting out in two days to find the twelve reincarnations of the guardians and to recover the book."

 

“Sun-Hee you have got to be-”

“Sunggyu-” Her voice cracked this time and he looked up for the first time, to see the broken girl in front of him. Yes, on the outside she looked like the perfect prophet, she had the cloak, the emblem, she even looked like one. But her eyes gave her away. She was just a girl who had lost her brother, the last of her family was gone, and the pain was still evident in her eyes. “Please, let me do this,” she begged. Sunggyu sighed, unsure about what to do.

 

“Alright,” he said after a few minutes of silence. He got up and handed her a sachet filled with a couple of essential items. “Just, tell me what you need.” A light smile appeared on her face as she handed him a scroll containing the items she would need for her journey. “Under one condition however. You have to come back alive….and promise me you’ll smile more. Genuinely, not this fake smile,” He said, lifting her chin so she would look him in the eyes. Tears threatened to fall from her eyes as Sunggyu lifted her up in a hug. “Aigoo! Look at little Sun-Hee all grown up, ready to save the world! I remember when you were two feet tall!”

 

“Ahhh! Let go Sunggyu, ya old man!!” She wiggled in his embrace causing him to laugh as he put her back down on the floor.

 

“Good Luck Sun-Hee. I believe in you,”

 

***********

 

“Nam Sun-Hee! You are out of your mind if you think I’m just going to let you go!”

 

“As if I’d let you stop me! Besides, you have to come too!” She scoffed, combing one of the horse’s mane. She had just arrived at Suho’s house, informing him of the journey she would be going on. He, of course, did not agree with what she had in mind.

 

“Now you are definitely out of your mind if you think I’m going to come!”

 

“Kim Junmyeon. Son of Mae and Seungyeon, born May 22 XXXX. Born with the spirit of a guardian, and blessed with the power of Water,” Sun-Hee said, looking up at the boy. “You have no choice, you’re coming with me,”

 

“But I-”

 

“Don’t but me! Whatever happened to the Suho who used to tell me that we all have duties to obey? Now you’re just going to pretend that you’re not a guardian?” She huffed, getting annoyed with Suho’s behavior. She knew why he was resisting, but she wasn’t going to have it. She was the rightful oracle now, why wouldn’t he just let her do what she was supposed to do. He sighed, placing his hand over his face trying to come up with another comeback but nothing came to mind.

 

“Fine, but I’m not doing this for you! It’s because of my duty” She smirked, knowing he could never say no to her.

 

“Whatever loser,” She retorted, sticking her tongue out at him. “Pack everything, we leave in two days.”