001

The Book of Peace

The Eclipse festival was in full swing and Sun-Hee stood in the midst of it. She looked prim and proper as always, clad in a dress made out of the official midnight blue color of Pissar, and she was bored out of her mind. A glass of cider was balanced carefully in her right hand and her left was wrapped languidly around her waist in anticipation. A picture perfect appearance, completely inaccurate as she yawned behind her hand and earnestly hoped for something, anything to happen. Maybe someone could ask her to dance, or the prophets could make their speech, really, she’d be ok with anything that could keep her from standing there any longer.

 

“Excuse me, lovely lady, but might I have this dance?” whispered a mysterious yet vaguely familiar voice rather close to her ear. She flashed him a bright grin as she turned around and accepted the arm held out in invitation. He was surprisingly graceful, maneuvering her through the crowd of dancers until they could comfortably merge with the rest of them.  

 

“Wow Suho, in all of the years I’ve known you I don’t think we’ve ever danced together. In fact, I didn’t even know you could dance,” Sun-Hee teased, purposefully stepping on his toes.

 

“There’s a lot of things you don’t know about me Sun-Hee. I’m a mysterious guy,” he smiled good naturedly in return, throwing in a wink before pulling her into a twirl. Sun-Hee scoffed in return.

 

“I highly doubt that. I’ve known you for 10 years Kim Junmyeon, there’s nothing I don’t know about you.”

 

“That my dear Sun-Hee is where you are mistaken. I’m allowed to have my secrets, just as I’m sure you have yours.” He smirked, smile widening and she pouted in response.

 

“That’s not fair! Come on, I tell you everything!” She frowned but Suho continued to guide her around the courtyard with a stupid grin glued to his face. “Jun-” She was cut off unexpectedly, a loud booming voice echoing throughout the square.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” the voice began, as the crowd began to settle down and cease their movements. “It is my great honor to be here celebrating another year of peace.” The statement sent the crowd wild, cheers erupting and even a wolf-whistle or two sounding over the screams. A smile crept up onto Sun-Hee’s face as the chants of ‘Woohyun’ grew louder, the male in question raised his hand to silence them.

 

“Here’s to another year!” He yelled, and if at all possible, the crowd grew louder. Everyone raised their glasses in toast, looking up to Woohyun for guidance. Only Woohyun now had his back turned to the audience, distracted by a woman clad in a shiny red dress.

 

“Sorry to just pop up out of nowhere,” she said, the grin on her face contradicted the bitter sound of her voice. “I believe I didn’t receive my invitation.” A sinister smile soon graced her cherry-red lips as she repositioned an old bound book in her left arm and gracefully pulled out a dagger with her right. It was too fast to follow, the dagger was deep in Woohyun’s chest before the guards could even blink, Woohyun stumbling backwards in shock and plummeting off the balcony. Gasps rippled across the audience as his body fell forty feet, landing with a solid sound that forbid survival. Blood slowly began to pool beneath him. The crowd jerked and in less than thirty seconds, what had been a festive event turned into a mess of chaotic bodies and scattered screams.

 

Sun-Hee stayed glued in place however, her eyes staring glassily at the unfolding events. It was impossible to swallow the lump in .

 

“W-Woohyun,” She exhaled sharply, the scene playing in her head over and over as she watched her brother’s body fall from the balcony. Suho was still beside her, having resorted to shaking her like a ragdoll in order to get her attention.

 

“Sun-Hee! We have to go! Sun-Hee!” He screamed, voice raw, but she ignored him. Slowly she began to inch towards her brother’s corpse, but Suho didn’t release her from his grasp. “Sun-hee please, we need to get out of here!" he begged, his eyes burning with tears. She didn’t listen.

 

“Woohyun,” She muttered again, tears falling from her eyes as her voice cracked. Suho couldn’t take it anymore as he picked the girl up, throwing her over his shoulder and ran in the other direction. Sun-Hee immediately snapped out of her trance as she began kicking and punching the poor boy. “No! Woohyun!” She let out a shrill scream, letting out an echo through the palace walls that Suho was sure everyone could hear.

 

“Sun-Hee, I am so sorry.” Was all Suho could say as he ran outside the palace gates and to somewhere safe with her in his arms.

 

“I am so sorry.”