Chapter Three

The Deathbringer

Heaven, hell, Earth; that's all I ever do. I'm a pick up service, a god damn taxi. Sure I get to "enjoy" my customers along the way, but I'm never allowed to really understand and get to know them. I pick them up not knowing anything about them, other than what state their soul is in. I drop them off not knowing what they will go through, other than the pain of course, they will all go through immense pain.


It's not that I'm lonely, I'm certainly not that. I never get to be alone, there is always one more soul to collect. I'm just curious. I haven't known life since I had one myself, which was more years than I can remember ago. Life is surprising, life is intresting. Not knowing what will happen the next minute or the next day. I have forgotten what that's like. I always know what is coming next, coz it's always the same. Tomorrow, next week, in a thousand years. Never changing... For once I wish I could follow a soul more than just the trip from Earth to heaven or hell. In that moment they are all the same; scared, in pain, screaming. Everyone, every time. Boring...

Another soul waiting to be mine. I appear in a dark room, it's empty and filthy, all except for the body on the floor. It's beautiful, so untouched. No cuts or bruises, no blood. This was an overdose, a suicide. Pills making it's way down slowly dissolving, spreading it's toxins into her blood. There is something poetic about suicides, choosing for yourself how and when to go. If they only knew what was coming next. They would cling to life tighter than an anaconda strangling it's prey.
People think suicides leads straight to hell, it dosen't. Most of them go to heaven. You see it's not about how you die, it never was. It's all in how you lived. An heroic death can't save your soul, and a selfish one can't doom it. Your soul is doomed either way but you don't know that, you don't want to know that.

I walk up to the body, it looks peacefull in a way. That will help the people she leaves behind. "She didn't feel any pain" "She is at peace now" "She is in a better place"
If the lie makes you feel better why would you want the truth? They will all move on, the ones left behind. They will think about her less and less each day, and then not at all. It's survival, I can understand survival. It's primitive, it's logical, it's natural.

I kneel down and place my hand on her forehead. Heaven. I'm sorry. 
I start pulling the soul, it screams torturing every inch of me. Cracks appear and the soul is free. For a few seconds it is actually free, it has never been before and never will be again. I guess in a way it's the greatest gift you could ever give. But no one gives without taking, and I take a lot. I give you a second for eternity, and you don't have a choice.

I grab the soul, force it inside of me. It's mine, and it's my turn to bring pain. Your screams tortured me beyond belief, now my silence will destroy you. It's worth it, it's always worth it. You are nothing but a layman when it comes to torture, but I, I am the master!

I take one last look at the body on the floor. Beautiful, let's hope it dosen't take them too long to find her. A body without a soul withers quickly.