Chapter 6

Chameleon Colored You

Sungyeol watched as Myungsoo walked toward them in slow motion. He was still trying to get it into his head, the information that was just given. Was Myungsoo a crossdresser? It was an idea that didn’t make any sense if connected with the other facts they had.

“Myungsoo was a cross dressing gangster.” Sungyeol mumbled to himself, finding the need to organize what he had just discovered.

“A-Areum-ah.” Somin sputtered out, when Myungsoo finally stopped next to him.

“W-who?” The younger whispered, wrinkles forming on his forehead while looking their way for help.

Sungyeol stepped closer to the other, putting his mouth near Myungsoo’s ear.

“She always bullied you in the past because… you liked to cross dress.”

Myungsoo’s eyes grew slightly wide, but returned to their normal size in an instant.

“Anyways, returning to the questions.” Dongwoo announced, putting his foot on top of the bench to intimidate the girl. “What was your relationship with Areum?”

Somin half glared at him in response. “You already know. And why don’t you just ask the person in question? She-He’s right there you know?”

Dongwoo lightly kicked the bench, earning a yelp. “Well we want it from your mouth. Do you know where to find her sister then?”

“Her sister?” Somin had an eyebrow lifted, as she took a quick glance at Myungsoo. “ What are you talking about-“

She was interrupted by Myungsoo’s violent coughing. The boy collapsed to the ground on both of his knees, hands clumsily covering his mouth.

The two rushed over to check on Myungsoo. When they knelt on the floor, the younger had stopped and instead switched to panting heavily. Sungyeol rubbed his back, not knowing another way he could help.

“She ran.” Dongwoo suddenly said, facing the bench. True to his words, the bench was empty, the girl nowhere in sight.

“I-I’m sorry. A-all because of me.”

Sungyeol slapped Myungsoo’s head, immediately regretting it afterwards when Myungsoo winced.

“Shut up. We can talk to her whenever we want. Let’s go back to the hospital for now.”

Myungsoo nodded, quietly following Sungyeol when he had heaved himself up.

 

 


 

 

Myungsoo hadn’t said a word since they had come back from the park. Even when Sungyeol asked him questions, he was given vague and curt answers.

“So what should we do now?” Sungyeol asked to particularly no one, when Dongwoo had returned from his daily checkup looking a little out of breath.

“I saw the investigator entering the hospital while I was talking to a nurse.”

“You ran all the way here just to tell us that?”

“Well, I figured he might have some new clues for us.”

“So… we just wait until he comes?”

“Yeap.”

“Uh… Kim Myungsoo-sshi?” A new voice cut their silence. A sheepishly smiling investigator greeted them at the door. “I’m here again.”

When Hoya stepped inside and stopped beside Myungsoo, the smile was immediately wiped off from his face. Sungyeol could tell from the frown that replaced it, that it wasn’t any good news. He wasn’t sure if the investigator was conscious of it but, he noticed how Hoya’s eyes seemed to analyze Myungsoo’s movements’ cautiously. Sungyeol was about to move his legs so Dongwoo could take a seat, but he was stopped by Myungsoo’s voice.

“Leave please.”

Sungyeol’s faced the younger in astonishment. What was Myungsoo doing, sending someone who might be able to help them, away? Hoya too, seemed to be taken by surprise at the boy’s words.

“O…kay then. May I come back-“

“Not you, I’m talking about you two.” Myungsoo lifted his finger to point at a certain pair, making Sungyeol gasp. “L-Leave please.”

“What?! Why should we leave? We’re helping you!” He exclaimed, feeling slightly betrayed for some reason.

“This is my privacy.” Myungsoo retorted stubbornly, obviously not planning on giving up.

Sungyeol glared at the hand that gripped and pulled on his arm, hinting him to get up. Dongwoo shook his head, his grip insisting on pulling him out of the room.

“You ran all the way here regardless of your foot to hear this. We have to right.” He crossed his arms against his chest as if that helped to prove his point.

“Lee Sungyeol.” Dongwoo said sternly. Sungyeol avoided his friend’s gaze, the floor looking less menacing. He knew his argument was stupid and his shoulders slumped when he was starting to feel ashamed. He got up and walked out of the room, not without stomping of course.

He leaned against the wall, the door on his right. He pulled out his phone, opening his note pad and pretended to text when Dongwoo closed the door, occupying the spot to his left.

“Just because we’re helping him, it doesn’t mean we have the right to know everything about his past.” He knew. “We all have things we prefer that we keep as a secret.” He knew. “And my leg is not that bad, excuse you.” He knew.

Putting away his phone, he sunk to the floor in a squatting position. “I don’t know what came over me then.”

“Love.” Dongwoo whispered seriously, breaking into a grin seconds later. “Kidding. I’m sure you just felt betrayed.”

“Betrayed?” Sungyeol repeated, not following the other’s train of thoughts. “Why would I feel betrayed?”

“Myungsoo never bothered to hide anything from you and you thought you guys were getting closer but…” Dongwoo let his words hang in the air for impact. “These days, you feel this weird distance. You feel as if you lost your progress that you had as buddies.”

Sungyeol rolled his eyes at the almost completely correct theory. The only wrong part being that, he never made progress with Myungsoo as buddies. When it was always just them, he could always feel this awkwardness that never failed at its job.

“What do you think about the whole thing about Areum?” Dongwoo suddenly said, relieving him at the change of topic.

“Areum is Myungsoo. What more is there to think about?”

“Areum’s twin sister. Myungsoo doesn’t have a sister but Areum does. Either Somin lied to us or she’s not her sister.”

“Oh, I almost forgot!” Sungyeol exclaimed earning the glances of some of the people that were in the hallway.

“Forgot what?”

“We still haven’t checked out that room in Myungsoo’s house.”

“What room?”

“The door was locked so we saved the room for later but… he fainted and yeah. Should we go today?”

“Why not? It seems like the two finished talking anyways. Sungyeol… don’t-“

“Don’t worry, I won’t ask him anything unnecessary.”

Seemingly satisfied with his answer, Dongwoo knocked on the door and slid it open. Sungyeol glanced at his friend when he saw a grinning Hoya. The older seemed to be glowing of delight and practically bounced out of the room. Myungsoo on the other hand, looked like he was going to die of boredom.

“Myungsoo, we thought of going to your house. You gonna come?” Dongwoo had already headed toward his closet in search for a change of clothes.

“No.”

Dongwoo stopped midway with the same confused expression Sungyeol had at that moment. Knowing that it would be rude to just barge in someone’s house without the owner present, he decided it would be best to just stay in the hospital. For some reason, he guessed that was what the younger wanted too.

“Aren’t you curious about what might be in that locked room?” Sungyeol blurted out, annoyed at how the other was acting throughout the whole day. He smirked at the way the boy’s ear twitched at his words.

“Locked room?”

“Yeah, the room we couldn’t enter the last time because it was locked?”

The way Myungsoo’s eyes darkened disturbed him but he said nothing about it. Myungsoo seemed to be out of it today anyway. The number of times the younger had stuttered had drastically dropped compared to before (As much as it was annoying, he kind of missed it). He couldn’t put a finger on it but he was sure there was something off about him.

“All right. I’m going.”

 

 


 

 

The house was in the exact same state as they left it in. The window was still broken but thankfully, nothing seemed to be stolen. Well, they weren’t completely positive but by Dongwoo’s words, the trash on the floor hadn’t moved an inch.

Unlike last time, the three of them climbed up the creaky staircase to the second floor. Facing a locked door they considered the possibilities.

“Can’t we just kick it open?” Myungsoo said earning a look of disbelief from Sungyeol.

“We can’t just break someone’s property like that. Even if it’s your property.”

“Says the person who shattered the window into pieces.” Dongwoo snorted and took out a card. Sungyeol recognized it as his old gym membership card. The older crouched down on to his knees and slid the card between the door’s frame and began wiggling the card in every direction. “The slant isn’t facing my way.”

Myungsoo motioned for Dongwoo to get out of the way. Before any of them could react, he began kicking the door with as much as force as he could. In a few matter of seconds, the door opened and hit the wall from inside the room with a loud bam. Myungsoo calmly strolled in without a single care in the world. When Sungyeol prepared to follow, he was stopped by the younger blocking the doorway with his body.

“Stay there.”

Sungyeol was about to curse profanities and repeat his silly argument but a grip on his arm calmed him down. Myungsoo closed the door, or at least tried to, since the broken door creaked back slightly open. He was tempted to take a peak, however, his pride won over.

“Why didn’t he just come here on his own then?! in’ .” He knew Dongwoo was probably shaking his head at his temper yet he just couldn’t stop himself. Whoever said that cursing never solved anything, was a liar. Cussing soothes ones anger.

“If it makes you feel better, I have ‘Twenty’ to watch while we wait.”

“You knew this would happen.” He said skeptically. “But really? We’re gonna watch a two hour movie? What do you think he’s gonna do in there?”

Dongwoo shrugged and started playing the movie.

 

They had finished the movie and Myungsoo was still in there. He didn’t know if he should be amazed or worried. He chose worried. Getting up from his seat, he dusted away possible dust that might have stuck to his bottom.

“I’m checking up on Myungsoo.”

Dongwoo looked a bit unsure, nonetheless, he hesitantly nodded.

In front of the door, he couldn’t bring his hand to knock which was weird. He wondered what made him so nervous. Was it the thought of Myungsoo lashing out at him for bothering him? Was it… he had nothing else. Not wanting to lose face in front of his friend that was surely judging him, he knocked on the door.

“Myungsoo? Myungsoo?”

Good old creepy silence. He stood there knocking for a few minutes causing Dongwoo to stand up and wait with him. Either Myungsoo was being a complete… rudey (does this even exist) or something went very bad. He went with the latter. Barging in the room, the first things he noticed was the fact that there weren’t any windows, the sky blue colored wall was chipped, the galaxy themed bed that had its cover filled with stars was ripped; broken toys sprawled all over the floor and most importantly, there were photos stuck on the walls, floors and even on the ceiling. He ignored the déjà vu that played through his mind and searched around the room.

Walking further into the room he saw that the pictures consisted of the same man from before except there was a child with him. The child’s age varied from two to four years old in the photos. He found a photo that had been written on with a marker but it was now a blotch.

He noticed a dark blue wooden closet a few meters taller than him.  It was the one with two doors that you swing open. Pulling the doors open, Sungyeol cried out when he found Myungsoo lying down on his side with streaks of tears down his face, hugging his knees in a fetus position.

“Myungsoo?! Myungsoo? Are you awake?”  Sungyeol pulled the younger out from the closet, letting him fall to the floor with a thud. The pain seemed to have woke Myungsoo up. He squinted in the dark in an attempt of seeing what the heck was going on.

“S-Sungyeol? I-Is that you? Where a-am I?” 

---

A/N: Yay to my infinite cliff hangers~ (srry for the short chapter)

I'm going to be busy with my tests these days so I might not be able to update next week. 

ILY GUYS~~~