Chapter 1

Chameleon Colored You

He wasn’t sure where he was. There weren’t any windows to let in any sunlight or moonlight. It was dark. Pitch black dark. The dark where you wondered whether you still had your eyes closed. He realized straining his eyes in the dark wasn’t doing much and was about to explore, wherever he was, when someone started speaking.

“Trust no one but yourself.”

He jumped in surprise and tried ignoring the squeal that echoed throughout the room(?). The cringe then followed. A complete random stranger had just quoted something he had read lots of times on the internet.

Calming down, he began processing what had been said to him. He noted it was a voice of a male and guessed the other was quite distant from him, judging by the echo.

“Trust no one but yourself.”

The voice was overpowered by another mumble. He unconsciously started leaning his ear closer to the direction he thought the stranger might be. It proved to be of no use and the voice was sounding like it was beginning to drift away. The murmur started building up into a faint tune as the darkness somehow slowly began blinding his eyes with rays of pure light.

When everything had become white, the whisper suddenly spoke clearly once last time before he was surrounded with merely a soft tune.

He felt horrible.

His whole existence felt too heavy to move. He honestly wanted to stay wherever he was, close his eyes and fall back into a deep slumber but he decided against. He was wide awake anyways and the whistling near him wasn’t going to help.

, he slowly sat up, hissing at the unknown injuries that were stinging him. His eyes reminded him that they still weren’t ready by forcefully making him squint in the light. Everything was still a bit blurry but, he was still able to recognize the figure of most of the furniture around him. Everything was pretty much white. He was on a bed surrounded by… other beds. He noticed two figures near him- one lying down while another was jumping around. As his vision started clearing up, his brain began analyzing the other two figures.

The jumpy guy was the singing culprit. He had pink hair. Of course he had plump lips followed by a smile that seemed brighter than the room itself but, the hair made the most impact on him. It was a bit too wild for his tastes but, it still awed him. It was pink! He seemed like a friendly guy.

The one who was lying down was normal compared to pinky(that was going to be his name). Anyone would be normal compared to pinky but he didn’t care. The guy had his brown hair parted to his right. He wasn’t smiling. 

Finished with his small observation, next would be getting the information he needed.  He was about to ask the more friendly looking one for it but was interrupted by pinky before he could even start.

“Hey you’re awake! I’m Dongwoo! Jang Dongwoo. This guy’s Lee Sungyeol. What’s your name?”

He sat there in silence. It had just stricken him. Desperate, he frantically looked around the room. Honestly, he didn’t even know what he was searching for. He thought he needed something concrete to conclude his thoughts. He figured that moving his head was doing nothing but giving him a headache so he stopped and closed his eyes. All of the information he processed up till now, passed through his head. When he went through the last pile of memories, he concluded, he didn’t know his name. He didn’t know anything. His age, what he liked and all that crap. It was strange and terrifying actually.

 

Sungyeol looked at the patient who was in a daze. The patient had been recently transferred to the room he shared with Dongwoo. He’d been asleep for roughly a week. They’d been told he survived grave injuries, falling from a building because of the happening of a certain event. He knew what it meant. He couldn’t help but look at the boy with pity. He knew the other wouldn’t want it but he couldn’t help it.

Quietly, he grabbed the button that lay on the floor next to his bed and pressed on it.

 

It was sinking in to him every second that passed by. He didn’t know anything about himself. Every time he thought about the things he didn’t remember, the more he would scare himself. He was alone. “I don’t remember.”

The sound of a stampede of footsteps coming near the room left his body to sink itself deeper into the bed until his back came into contact with the headboard. The door already open, several people- who he guessed were doctors- entered the room. All stopping in front of him, the guy in the front- who had brown hair and crescent shaped eyes- gave him a small comforting smile. Or an attempt of a comforting smile. It didn’t work.

“Kim Myungsoo? Are any of your injuries giving you any pain?”

Kim Myungsoo. Judging by the context, that should be his name. It felt familiar yet distant. He found out with the small name plate that was pinned to the other’s white coat. The doctor’s name is Kim Sunggyu.

“N-no. Not that I-I u-uh… feel right now.” Dr. Kim looked pleased at his response but the doctor’s smile made him feel strangely uncomfortable.

“If it’s not too much to ask for, are you okay with some people asking you some questions?”

 His eyebrow rose at the sudden request. He agreed to it anyway. It might be a good chance for some of his questions to be answered. He saw the doctor nod to a nurse to his right. The nurse scrambled out the room and returned in a second with a pair of men.

“This here is investigator Lee Howon.” The said man smiled reassuringly, letting out his hand for a handshake. Howon looked like he would be a tough guy. Although hesitantly, he accepted the handshake anyway.

“And this is his assistant, Nam Woohyun.” The guy had a huge smile plastered on his face. He liked pinky’s smile better though. Woohyun didn’t offer him a handshake and instead his smile seemed to have somehow intensified.

“Now, I think it would be better if we all stepped out for now.” Dr. Kim curtly nodded to the duo and was about to step out of the room when he turned back to look at a certain pair. “That includes you guys too, Sungyeol and Dongwoo.”

Sungyeol sighed, “We already know what happened. We’ll be quiet, now let me go to sleep.” Dongwoo nodded excitedly for some reason, diving for his bed. “Is that going to be an inconvenience, sir?” The doctor asked.

 “I believe Myungsoo should be the one who you should be asking.” Howon looked at the one in question.

Myungsoo was troubled by the sudden spotlight he was receiving. Glancing at Sungyeol, he found the brunet glaring at him. “Y-yeah. It’s fine.” Sunggyu nodded and walked out of the room.

The investigator shrugged and started, “So… Kim Myungsoo-sshi, a week ago, as you know, your father had been involved in a car accident.” Howon paused, checking the patient’s reaction to see if it was okay to continue. The boy’s face was void of any emotions, an understandable reaction. “Well contrary of what you believed, he tripped in front of a car. It was an accident. It wasn’t your fault.”

Myungsoo was silent. The room was also silent. He knew everyone in the room was watching him for a reaction but he couldn’t give any. It was a sad story and all but it felt once again distant. He felt like he was horrible for not feeling like bawling when he was just told his dad was dead. But he couldn’t help it. He felt nothing towards the man who was supposedly his father.

Earlier, he had lost the moment to tell the doctors that he couldn’t remember anything, but he decided now, was his chance.

“I-“

‘Trust no one but yourself.’

The same voice from before rang through his head. He was genuinely confused this time. He wondered whether what the heck that was and why the heck it was saying this to him. “U-Um… I don’t-“ He tried again, but his brain suddenly felt like it was being prickled by a million needles at once. Every one of them making an effort of going in painfully slowly. He gripped his head in pain, whimpering the whole time.

“Quickly Woohyun, call the doctors!” He heard the investigator yell out. He heard the same stampede of footsteps before being forced to lie in his bed. Everything happened too fast for him to process. His eye lids began feeling heavier and heavier. The pain was still there but like his memories, it felt distant.

 

 

 

 

It was the same dream. Dark. The voice. The phrase. The only difference was that there was no whistling this time. There would be no interruptions.

‘Trust no one but yourself.’

He tried taking a step forward but an invisible layer of thick ice seemed to stop him from moving. He opted on talking instead.

“Who are you?!”

“Who are you?”

He wasn’t sure if it was his echo or the stranger nevertheless answered anyway.

“My name is Kim Myungsoo!”

He wondered what he was doing talking with someone from literally his dreams.

“It wasn’t an accident.”

“Don’t trust him.”

His brows knit in confusion. His brows were going to gain a lot of muscles these days; at the rate the questions that needed to be answered were piling.

“What? Who the heck are you talking about?”

As he half expected, the rays of light returned to interrupt the questions he had. It was the same procedure as last time. His back didn’t hurt as much as last time though.

“You finally awake?”

Pinky.

Myungsoo looked to his right and in there in fact, was a jumping Dongwoo. Behind him, Sungyeol seemed to be sleeping.

“A-Ah, yes?” Remembering about before he ‘fainted’, he looked around the room. The three of them were the only ones occupying it.

“You curious?” Dongwoo asked with a smile still gracing his lips.

“Curious? A-about what?”

“About your past, .” Myungsoo’s head shot towards the supposedly sleeping figure. Sungyeol had his arm on top of his head. “The one you don’t remember.”

“How do you?!”

Sungyeol lifted his arm, staring at Myungsoo like he was an idiot. “Cause you told us?”

He wasn’t sure if he should be relieved to have gotten the truth off his chest or nervous by the fact that someone had found out. It might seem stupid, listening to someone from your dreams, but it was stuck on his mind. Could he truly trust these two? His dream said ‘him’, so was it only a person he couldn’t trust or a group of people? He was beginning to stress out more than what deemed necessary.

“So are you?” Dongwoo had crouched down and was looking under the curtain of bangs that were blocking his sight.

He was. He was curious as what lead him to not remembering anything. But he didn’t know who the two of them were. What they were capable of.

“We won’t bite. We’re not even interested in you anyways.” Sungyeol mumbled, his body now facing sideways. True to his words, his face looked as disinterested as it could be.

“I guess I-I am. “

“So... you sorta uhm… off a building.”  The pink haired boy responded, obviously not knowing a nice way of saying it.

Silence filled the room. Myungsoo was waiting for the continuation but when noticing it would never come, he asked dumfoundely, “That’s it?” 

“What? What do you mean, that’s it?” Sungyeol’s voice slightly rose. He looked offended. “You freakin’ took your own life. You almost died. On purpose.”

“N-no I mean. You guys made i-it seem like it w-would be more tragic.” Myungsoo said, raising his arms up in defense.

“You took your life because you thought it was you killed your father. But in the end it wasn’t. It was just an accident.”

“It wasn’t an accident.” Myungsoo unconsciously muttered under his breath.

“What?”

It wasn’t an accident. That was what his dream had said. Was it referring to his father’s accident? “It wasn’t an accident.” He muttered again, this time a bit more loudly.

“They just said it was.”

“But m-my dream told me. My s-sub-conscious me?”

Myungsoo was someone Sungyeol shouldn’t mix in with. At first, all Sungyeol had felt for the other was pity. Now he looked at the other like Myungsoo was crazy. He wasn’t exactly sure why the idea of the other talking to his own mind, creeped him out. “And… you’re gonna trust your sub-conscious mind? Rather than the police?”

“It was so-someone from my dreams t-that told me!” Myungsoo could tell he wasn’t convincing anybody. Sungyeol’s emotions were written right on his face. Disbelief. He wasn’t sure if Dongwoo was even listening. “Do you guys know me f-from before?”

“No, it’s our first time seeing you. Why? Does your sub conscious say it saw us from somewhere?” Sungyeol jokingly said.

“B-but I can’t talk to my mind?” Myungsoo replied innocently, earning a snort from the other.

Myungsoo wasn’t sure. Dongwoo looked like he was a nice guy. He was a ball of sunshine. Sungyeol was a completely different matter. He was a bastard. Not that affectionate bastard, between friends, but simply a bastard. He seemed to have a lot of attitude. He thought about it though. If Dongwoo was friends with Sungyeol, that would mean the latter wasn’t that bad of a person. He still can’t rule out the possibility that the pink haired boy was being fake. He needed help and between everyone he had met, the two seemed the most trustworthy (not really. It was mostly because the two knew about it already so, what the hey).

“Can you guys help me then? R-Recover my memories?” He suggested, full of hope.

Sungyeol was sort of surprised at the unexpected request. It subsided in a second. “What’s in it for us?”

“The-“

The bastard cut him off in a jiffy. “And don’t you dare say something about it somehow changing our lives. Cause I call that bull.”

Damn.

“It-it’s…gonna be fun?” He winced at the way his voice cracked at the end.

“… deal’s off.”

Myungsoo sighed. He expected this outcome. The brunet slid back in to his covers, faced away from him.

“Call.”

He and Sungyeol’s head snapped toward Dongwoo.

“Are you serious?” He asked, wondering if he had misheard it.

“Yes. It’s much better than letting my body rot here. I was getting tired of the smell of blood.” Dongwoo replied nonchalantly. “Come on Sungyeol! I’m sure you also hate being in this stupid stuffy room the whole day.”

“Are you seriously believing that it will be fun? Come on Dongwoo hyung! You know better!” All Myungsoo heard was a child whining. It was annoying. Like they say, if you hate the person, you hate their whole existence.

“I don’t care if you’re going or not, ‘cause I am. C’mon Myungsoo, let’s go talk somewhere else. It’s too noisy here, isn’t it?” The older put an arm around his shoulders and turned his body to face the exit. He raised a brow at the wink that followed. He noticed that the door was left open. The both of them were a step out of the room when a voice interrupted them.

“I’ll go with you.” Sungyeol was up from the bed and behind them. His hair was dishelved and he seemed to be sweating quite a lot. He glanced at Dongwoo muttering, “I hate you,” before leaving the room.

“These are the times I sort of thank your situation.” The older said in a jokingly manner, laughing.

“ you.” Sungyeol curtly responded walking ahead of them. Myungsoo wondered, but decided not to pry.

 

 

 

It seems that Kim Myungsoo has lost his memories after all 10:03pm

Good job 10:05pm

 


 

A/N: Please tell me if any of you spot any plot holes.

Criticism is definitely welcome too.

So 'Kill Me Heal Me' freakin' took over my life!!!! 

Bye~