Chapter 2

Chameleon Colored You

There wasn’t a starting point.

“So, where are we going?” Sungyeol asked, although knowing that Myungsoo had no answer.

“Yeah… so I haven’t r-really thought that through?”

Sungyeol was unsatisfied with the other’s answer even when he had expected it. The other asked for their help when he didn’t even have a plan… unless the help he wanted was with making a plan. Nonetheless, he was going to do nothing. He had no reason to. He was just going, because he wanted to tag along with Dongwoo. Speaking of Dongwoo, he was going to give his dinosaur friend a good earful when he got the chance.

“Shouldn’t we see Dr. Kim? You still haven’t told the doctors about your situation, right?” Dongwoo suggested, already heading towards the second floor.

“I-I guess?” Myungsoo managed to squeak out before he was pulled along by pinky. Although he shouldn't tell anybody, he knew the doctors would find out eventually.He tried to ignore the glare Sungyeol was giving him. His thoughts wandered back to the small conversation his two new friends had and he wondered about the reason they were there. Both of them looked fine- physical wise.

 Looking around him, he saw a number of patients and doctors greeting the pair in front of him. He snorted when Sungyeol started greeting back to some of the kids while making a stupid face. His lips moved on its own when the brunet ended his small show with a big gummy smile though. No. No. Nope. His lips had definitely not formed a smile. Nope. Not a smile. Lee Sungyeol had not made him smile. That never happened.

Myungsoo’s internal monologue was interrupted by Dongwoo’s exaggerated cheering. “We’re here!” Before he could even observe his surroundings, the older barged in through the door, his jolly laughter following. “Hello, Dr. Kim!”

The said doctor was seated behind his desk, fingers tapping on the side of his head, with a distressed look on his face. “Jang Dongwoo! I told you to stop barging in my damn room like that! If you came looking for someone to play-” Myungsoo decided that ‘pissed’ would be much more accurate adjective.

“This guy has something to tell you.” Dongwoo said, pointing at Myungsoo.

Taking a deep breath, he nodded when the doctor’s attention was on him. “I-I can’t remember.” He announced, looking away from the attention he was receiving from the three. He hated the fact that he stumbled over his words but he couldn’t help it. Rather than it being because he was nervous, it was because he simply didn’t know how to act when he was suddenly put under a spotlight.

“So, you have amnesia? Well, it isn’t something we didn’t expect for it was quite the blow. That being said, I’m guessing you’re curious about yourself?”

Myungsoo didn’t know why but he turned to look at his friends. Sungyeol didn’t give much of a response but Dongwoo gave an encouraging nod. He wasn’t sure what he had wanted from them. It did give him some reassurance. Nodding, the doctor reached below his desk, he seemed to be looking through some files. Using this time, the three of them took a seat on the couch that was in front of the desk. The room wasn’t that different than any other office. Two sofas were placed parallel to each other, an armchair placed between them.

“Oh, here it is!” The doctor exclaimed, happily but calmly walking towards them, taking a seat on the armchair. He opened the file and skimmed over the information on the pages, reading each one of them out loud. “Name, Kim Myungsoo. Age, twenty-two. Birthday is on March 13th, 1992.” The doctor paused and began glancing between his two friends, looking troubled. “The next part’s more personal. Are you okay with them being here?”

“Like I said, we already know most things about him. It doesn’t really mat-“

“Shut up. Would you like him to know the thing you call weakness? No? Exactly. There are things you sometimes wish to keep private and Myungsoo might have his. That something doesn’t mean you could know everything.”

Sungyeol sighed in defeat and stood up from his seat. “Alright, you won me. C’mon Dongwoo hyung.”

Myungsoo eyes widened, alarmed at the fact that he would be alone with someone he barely knew. Dongwoo who managed to sense that, reassured him, saying that they would be right outside waiting for him. The two friends whispered to each other, leaving pure silence after the thud of the door closing.

“So, Myungsoo. What would you like to know about yourself?”

There were too much in mind to answer but he doubted that a doctor would know that much about him. He would have to search for them himself and for that, he needed somewhere to start.

“Where is my house?” It was the first time he hadn’t stuttered. His curiosity won over his ‘nervousness’.

“You’re currently in Seoul and you’re address here says that you live in Namdaemun-gu, Shinchong-dong.”

“Am I near?” He was excited. He knew it was stupid to get excited over such a small thing but he couldn’t help it. He found a start.

“Near? Why, this hospital’s in the same neighborhood as your home.” Dr. Kim chuckled, finding the younger’s excitement cute.

“Really?! Can you write it down?” Myungsoo stood up from his seat and tried his best to patiently wait for the other to finish writing. When the older handed him the piece of paper, he bowed, folding his belly. Too busy being happy, he hadn’t noticed the doctor calling for his attention as he walked out the door, kissing the piece of paper.

“Wait! Kim Myungsoo-sshi! We haven’t finished talking about-“

Myungsoo showed the pair the new information he received, slightly proud. Sungyeol let out a dramatic sigh. “Don’t tell me we’re going to have to go with you?!”

Dongwoo thankfully hit the idiot for him. It made Myungsoo feel good. “Yes, Sungyeol we’re going with him. Why are you being so whiny today?”

“Because I don’t want to freakin’ go! And I’m not being whiny.” Sungyeol pouted and looked away from the older.

Gathering his courage, Myungsoo managed to say, “C’mon S-Sungyeol-ah? Let’s hurry up!”

The pout disappeared and in its place Sungyeol began gritting his teeth. “Sungyeol-ah? I’m older than you so call me hyung! Ya brat.”

Myungsoo so wanted to retort that the other should then start acting like one. Dongwoo separated them before he got the chance to though. He admitted it was for the best of the both of them.

 

The three of them went to their rooms to switch to more comfortable clothes. That was when he learned that Dongwoo was quite the muscular man compared to him and Sungyeol. He was also devastated when he learned that, that wasn’t the only place where the both of them lost to him.

 

 


 

 

They were finally out of the hospital. They had tried avoiding the nurses using all the methods possible that his mind struggled to follow his body. He was surprised at how good he was at flirting.

“So where are we going?” Sungyeol asked once again for the umpteenth time since leaving the hospital. Myungsoo learned that shoving the paper in the other’s face was effective and proceeded in doing so. His hand was slapped away.

What the doctor said was indeed true. His house was only a few blocks away. It wasn’t that grand, courtesy of Sungyeol. It was a small two-story building that was surrounded by a small wall. Easily passing through the broken gate that was connected to the wall, they knocked on the door.

“But shouldn’t no one be home?” Dongwoo asked in a hushed voice “I mean… your father was your only relative.”

‘Oh yeah.’ He thought. There wasn’t a way to get in then. He didn’t want to break in, just in case someone else lived there (he didn’t want to waste any time with misunderstandings). “S-should we look around here? Someone might recognize m-me.”

“Can’t we just break in?” Sungyeol asked, like it was the obvious. “It’s your house anyways.”

“We aren’t a hundred percent sure it’s still Myungsoo’s house.” Dongwoo answered with a shrug.

Myungsoo looked at the streets, not particularly searching for anything. It seemed to be more of a residential area. He could see that there was a small mart at the corner and a few other small shops were spread out here and there. The mart was a good place to start.

The mart was as smaller than he expected it to be. A very elderly looking woman walked inside and back out of the shop a few times leading him to the conclusion that she was the owner. He guessed that his self from the past would’ve come here a few times and maybe the lady would recognize him. If she did, he could get some answers. Cautiously, he stepped up in front of the old lady and gave her a small smile. He didn’t expect to get attacked with a hug.

“I haven’t seen you for a week! I was getting worried! What happened?”

Myungsoo stood there awkwardly as the lady still held on to him. “Uh… e-excuse me but I-“ The grandma quickly let go of him but looked at him as if he was crazy.

 “Did something happen?”

Myungsoo honestly didn’t know what the harm was of telling people about his little problem. He once again listened to his dreams anyway. “N-nothing.” The lady still had a worried look on her face and it displeased him. Wanting to lighten and change the mood, he pointed at a packet of gum. “How m-much is that?”

The old lady chuckled, slightly raising up her voice. “What do you mean?! That’s free! Considering everything that you’ve done for me, this is nothing! Here, take it!” She stuffed her hands in the box, and picked up a handful of packets. Myungsoo’s hand somehow managed to join each other, forming a temporary bowl. She dropped all the packets into the “bowl” and before he could protest, she slapped his . “That’s for worrying me, you brat! Now get out! I'm a busy woman!” 

She pushed him out of the store where his friends stood there- definitely not acting suspicious. The lady seemed to have somehow noticed that the two were together with Myungsoo and didn’t question them, instead heading back inside the shop.

“What’s that?” Sungyeol eyed the pile of gums in his hands.

“S-she gave ‘em to me.” He answered, stuffing them inside his pockets

“So did you learn anything?” Dongwoo  asked as he seemed to be looking straight through him for a reason.

“Not anything i-important? I was friendly with her… I-I think?”

The older nodded, finally looking straight into his eyes. “So we noticed a pair of girls who seemed to be staring at you ever since you entered the store.” Myungsoo was about to look behind when he was stopped by the other’s hand. “Don’t look back. They’re sitting outside of a café and they seemed to be gossiping about you. We’re going to try and get the nearest seat to them and eavesdrop. C’mon.”

This was going to be tedious for Sungyeol. They were going to eavesdrop on highschool girls probably squealing on how hot Myungsoo was. Yes, he just said Myungsoo was hot. It would be an obvious lie if he didn’t. Returning to the original subject, he didn’t get why Dongwoo was all gung-ho on helping the new patient. Yeah, he did feel sorry that the patient couldn’t remember anything but, that didn’t mean he had the obligation of helping.

Keeping his whiny thoughts to himself, he quietly took a seat next to his hyung.

“Oh my god! Do you think he heard us?!” A girl with her hair tied into a bun said, freaking out. She was being too damn noisy. He guessed she was a drama queen.

‘Well we’re about to hear it now.’ Sungyeol thought, rolling his eyes.

“Why’re you being so weird?” It was her friend. She had straight short black hair. She seemed to be more of the calm type. A trait Sungyeol found himself wishing his future girlfriend had.

“But he beat up some of our seniors! He came out of nowhere and just beat them up! And that wasn’t even the first time that happened! Our seniors always warn us to be careful of him.”

Well, Sungyeol hadn’t expected that. He hadn’t seen Myungsoo that way. Curious, he looked up to see the other’s reaction. Myungsoo had his eyebrows scrunched up together. He could see the confusion in the younger’s eyes.

“Shut up and let’s get going. We’ll be late for after school.”

The two highschoolers began bickering as they exited the coffee shop.

“So you were some kind of bully? Or gangster?” Sungyeol said, receiving a slap on the head from Dongwoo.

“It could just be rumors.” Myungsoo retorted. Sungyeol noticed his face was void of any emotions. He wondered about what went through the younger's head.

“Let’s go back to the hospital for today; it’s almost time for me to get my check up.”

Dongwoo got up from his seat and exited the shop. The three were quiet, probably their mind filled with thoughts of their own.

Sungyeol looked at Myungsoo and he was slightly worried at the way the other’s eyes shot around everywhere, nervously. It was when small beads of sweat started forming on the younger’s face when he decided something was wrong.

"You okay?"

“W-why do y-you think t-those men a-are following u-us?”

Sungyeol immediately looked around them. True to the boy’s words, there were several dangerous looking men dressed in solely black that were eyeing their every movement. He wondered if they were going to have to make a run for it. Concerned, he looked at Dongwoo. He shook his head. They were only a few good meters from reaching the hospital; they were going to be okay. Sungyeol mumbled that to himself several times, like a chant… which proved to not work in the end when a man, backed up with two of his minions, stopped in front of them. He was quite muscular and had a bulky build. The man smirked, snapping his fingers.

Behind them, several more men appeared, blocking all their ways of escape.

They were trapped. They were helpless. No one was going to help them. He could feel his heartbeat accelerating as his hands trembled. He was going to be out of breath at this rate.

He knew all of this was a bad idea.

 

----

A/N: So... hope you enjoy it! ;DDD

My writing pretty much , I know... Please bear with me~