Chapter 5

Chameleon Colored You

Sungyeol knew that nothing was wrong with Myungsoo. Dr. Kim had reassured him several times. So he didn’t know why his fingers were picking at his nails. He hadn’t even noticed it until Dongwoo pointed it out.

“Dr. Kim said he’d be fine. You’re passing me your nervousness so stop doing that!”

“I know,” Sungyeol huffed “But doing nothing but staring at him makes me feel anxious.”

“Oh right,”Dongwoo got up from his seat and headed towards his own bed. Crouching down, the older seemed to be getting something from below the bed. When he got what he was looking for, he heaved himself back up, a navy blue colored cloth in hand. Dongwoo threw the cloth at his face. “I found this at Myungsoo’s house.”

Taking the cloth out of his face, Sungyeol inspected it. It was a school uniform. A navy blue blazer, a white button up shirt, gray sweatpants and a gray skirt. There was a name tag pinned on the blazer.

“Han Areum?” Sungyeol read out to himself.

“Exactly. From what I heard, Myungsoo doesn’t have a sister or a relative. She’s most likely a friend, a close friend judging by the fact that she left her uniform at his house.” Dongwoo said, taking a seat next to Sungyeol.

“A close friend.” Sungyeol repeated under his breath, with a tone he didn’t recognize.

“So I wondered if she might be able to help Myungsoo with his memories. From the uniform, it looks like she goes to Shinha highschool.”

“But didn’t he say that he couldn’t trust anybody?” Sungyeol avoided the look Dongwoo was giving him. He had responded a bit too quickly.

“You’re going to listen to his subconscious mind?” The older emphasized on the last part, in a teasing manner.

“W-well we should respect his decisions.” He said pouting.

“Yeah, cause Lee Sungyeol always respects people.”

Before Sungyeol could make an ‘epic comeback’, he was interrupted (thankfully) by a groan. Looking below him, he could see that Myungsoo was starting to open his eyes. He quickly pressed the button placed next to the bed post before shoving his face into the younger’s.

“Myungsoo, you alright?”

Myungsoo didn’t respond and stared blankly at the ceiling. He admitted that it worried him a little but he decided he would wait a little to see what the younger would do. It took only a few seconds for the other to sit up and pick his ears like everything was perfectly normal. Finally looking at them, Myungsoo tossed them a cat like grin- pinky still in his ears.

“Hi.” What in the world.

“Myungsoo?” He managed to spit out.

“Yeah?” Myungsoo lazily replied, analyzing the both of them- just like the first time they met.

“You okay now?” Dongwoo asked with a frown on his face.

“Course.” The boy gave them a reassuring smile that was giving them the opposite effect.

A familiar stampede of footsteps echoed through the hallways. This seemed very nostalgic.

Dr. Kim was, like always, the first to arrive. Entering the room, he hurried toward Myungsoo who, in turn, stared straight at the doctor.

“Myungsoo sshi? Are you feeling okay now?” The boy in question nodded his head slowly. “Are you in any pain? It doesn’t matter how small it is, please tell me.”

“N-nope. No pain.”

Sungyeol couldn’t put his finger on it but, Myungsoo seemed… weird. He didn’t dwell on it, reminding himself that Myungsoo had just got up from shock. It was natural for a person to seem out of it when they had just woken up.

“I won’t pry on what had happened but you will have to stay in the hospital for today. We will be doing some checkups for now just in case.” Dr. Kim informed, glaring at the two older boys for some reason.

“But we wanted to take Myungsoo to-“ Sungyeol groaned when his foot was stomped upon several times.

“Yeah, we were planning to stay anyways.” Dongwoo said, laughing over his groans.

Dr. Kim was obviously not convinced but thankfully just settled on rolling his eyes.

“Anyways Myungsoo shhi, our nurse will call you in about thirty minutes. Since I’m a busy man, I need to get going. Goodbye.” Dr. Kim walked out of the room, nurses right behind him.

“So, where a-are we going?” Myungsoo asked. Yeah, they at acting.

“Shinha high.” Sungyeol slumped on the floor and took off his slippers. He rubbed his foot, a string of curses following. “Why’d we have to keep it a secret from the doctor though?”

“Ya think he’s going to let Myungsoo go if we explain to him? He’d probably stop us from going altogether.” Dongwoo explained, letting himself fall on a nearby bed.

“Shinha? W-why there?”

“We found a girl’s uniform in your house and we guessed she could help you. We’re going to go search for her.” Dongwoo said, already up again and all ready to go. “Are you going to stay?”

Sungyeol wondered why Dongwoo bothered asking when they all knew what the younger’s answer was going to be.

“You guys go first.” Sungyeol’s eyebrows scrunched up together, lips drawn together in a frown. “I-I mean, I’ll catch up with you guys later. I-I have something to do.”

“Alright… if that’s what you want.” Dongwoo said, shrugging. Looking at Sungyeol, he continued, “Come on, let’s go.”

“Okay.”

As Sungyeol stepped out the door, he turned to look at Myungsoo for a reason he himself didn’t have an answer for. His head shot back towards the front, when he saw Myungsoo waving with a cat like grin spread across his face.

 


 

Sungyeol unconsciously leaned closer to his friend when they began getting closer to the school. There were a lot of kids spread around the area into small groups, all of them either smoking or giving bad vibes. Most of them were laughing but it sounded more like snickering to him. He couldn’t believe how highschoolers could seem much scarier than adults these days.

When they were finally in front of the school gates, Sungyeol scrambled away from Dongwoo and leaned on the wall beside the older. They were going to ask the students that were starting to come out for the information they needed.

They were surprised to find a familiar short black hair. They quickly kidnapped her and dragged her to a quieter place- with bites and bruises of course.

“Sorry, what’s your name?” Dongwoo started, giving the girl a sheepish smile.

The girl stayed silent.  It was understandable really. Sungyeol wouldn’t give his name to people who dragged him forcefully to a deserted area no matter how handsome they were.

“Don’t worry; we’re not going to do anything to you. You remember us right?” The older said, adding a pout to help in the convincing part. “From the café?”

“Yeah… friends of Myungsoo.” The girl muttered, looking unaffected by the pout.

“So… you friends with him?”

“No… I don’t personally know him.”

Sungyeol bit his lips. It shouldn’t be that hard to find someone who knows Myungsoo right? 

“Do you know a student called Han Areum?” Dongwoo asked

“I only know her from rumors. Somin should know about her though.”

“Somin? That your friend from the café?”

“That was Minkyung. Somin is…”The girl passed through the both of them and peeked at the direction of the school gate. She motioned for the two to get closer to her and pointed at a group of girls that were busy cackling and texting on their phones behind a car. “The girl with the red beanie that also has short black hair like me. The one who’s smoking. From what I heard, she used to pick on Areum pretty badly.”

“A-anyone else?” Sungyeol squeaked when his eyes met with the girl’s eyes. He quickly pulled back his head. He flushed when he heard the girl laugh.

“Well, I heard she had a twin. Her twin beat the out of Somin and the bullying pretty much stopped… physically.”

“Psychically?”

“Yeah. Somin still threw horrible insults here and there whenever Areum was present. Dirty pranks were a given.”

“All this…” Sungyeol said, looking a little worried. “Are just rumors right? Nothing concrete.”

“Lot of people have seen it. Of course, with a little exaggeration.”

“Hm… I see. Thanks, you helped us a lot.” Dongwoo patted the girl’s head, ruffling it. “I’ll treat you to food someday.”

The girl slapped away the hand and started fixing the mess of her hair. “Oh right, my name is Minji. Kang Minji.” She walked away from the dark alley, not looking back even once.

“We’re going to talk to Somin?” Sungyeol asked, head peeking out of the corner, eyes in search for a red beanie.

“Yeah, c’mon.”

Sungyeol gulped when they stepped out of the alley. They were going to do it. They were going to confront a . A group of es to be exact. Okay, fine… it was wrong to judge them when he didn’t even know them but he didn’t care. First of all, he wasn’t scared of a group of girls. He was intimidated. Two similar but  very different adjectives. Second, his heart wasn’t like other people so this was normal for him. It wasn't his fault.

When they stepped in front of the half circle that was formed by the girls, the girls glared at them. There were five girls in total, all of them with messily worn uniforms. Three out of two of them had lit cigarettes in hand whilst the other two were too invested on their phones to care about them.  

“Who you guys?” A girl with long blonde hair that was tied into a ponytail asked. She was leaning on a car, looking annoyed.

“We wanted to a-ask you some questions.” Sungyeol replied, cursing at his stutter.

“Aww! Look Minha, he’s scared of us! That’s actually pretty cute!” This coming from a girl with light brown hair that sat crouched down, legs slightly open.

“What’s that?” Minha asked, ignoring the brunette’s commentary.

“Do you guys know Han Areum?” Dongwoo questioned how Somin’s eyes darted everywhere but at him. Minha didn’t seem to take notice of her dilemma and glared at him.

“No.”

“But I heard-“

“We smoke, play around, use our claws and we do many other ty things but we don’t group on one person. That’s the only thing we wouldn’t do. Now off since you got your answer.”

Sungyeol could see that Dongwoo was about to protest but seeing a group of high school boys coming near them; he pulled the two of them away to the same alley from before.

“Totally the face of someone guilty.” Sungyeol said, taking a few glances in the direction of the school.

“Let’s wait until she’s alone.” Dongwoo crouched down on the ground, pulling out his phone.

“And what if she’s never alone?”

“Then that’s that.”

Sungyeol rolled his eyes at his friend’s half assed answer. Leaning on the wall, he sunk to the floor. He was reminded of the events of that morning.

“Where’s Myungsoo anyways?”

 


 

It was five o’clock when they finally found a chance to grab Somin away from the group secretly. The girl was going back to the group from whatever she needed to do in the bathroom when they whisked her away. Somin was quite taller than they had expected but they managed to drag the girl as they covered .

Dragging her to a nearby park, they pushed her down onto a bench.

“What was your real relationship with Areum?” The girl head stayed drooped down with her eyes glued to the floor. “Do you know where to find her?”

“Huh?” Somin finally looked up from the ground, eyebrows scrunched up together. “But you were with her just yesterday.”

“What?” Sungyeol and Dongwoo couldn’t help but look at each other in confusion. “Minji? Minkyung?”

“You seriously don’t know?”

“Spill it.”

“Areum is-“ Before Somin could finish, they were interrupted by a familiar voice.

“I finally found you guys!”

Turning back, Myungsoo was walking towards them with a toothy grin. Sungyeol wasn’t sure whether he should be confused to how Myungsoo had found them or whether he should be worried that Myungsoo might have been searching for them for the past two hours. Of course Myungsoo could’ve called them but then Sungyeol remembered that they hadn’t given Myungsoo their phone numbers yet.

“It’s him.”

Sungyeol’s head shot towards Somin, wondering if he heard her wrong.

“What do you mean it’s him? What about Myungsoo?”

“The one you call Myungsoo… he’s Areum.”

 

---

A/N: Dun dun dun! This one's shorter and i'm sorry u n u

Thank you for your commentaries and ily guys~~