Chapter 3

Chameleon Colored You

It was strange. They felt strangely familiar.

Myungsoo looked at the men surrounding them. His body was struck by fear but his mind seemed clear. He was sure that the men wouldn’t hurt them. He was slightly frightened at his confidence. His body didn’t seem to agree with his mind though, seeing how it kept involuntarily shaking. He didn’t blame himself. The men were clearly intimidating no matter the angle.

Mind clear, he turned to look at his friends, wondering if the two knew something. Maybe the why they were being cornered. Dongwoo being in front of him, he couldn’t see they older’s face. Not wanting to risk gaining attention, he moved on to Sungyeol.

The brunet was clearly much more affected than Myungsoo was. The boy was shaking like a leaf as sweat dripped constantly down the other’s forehead. Myungsoo thought that, that seemed like an exaggerated reaction towards the whole ordeal, but noticing Sungyeol’s struggle at breathing, his mind recalled Sungyeol’s mysterious problem.

The older looked like he was going to pass out before the men even laid a hand on him. Myungsoo needed to think of something. Before he could even take a step towards Dongwoo, every one of the men around them bowed ninety degrees, shouting in unison.

“Welcome back hyung-nim!”

Myungsoo’s eyebrows scrunched up together, looking at his friends in confusion. He was quickly snapped out of his confusion when he was pulled in a bone crushing hug. His head stuffed in the other male’s chest, he saw nothing but black.

“Woobin hyung! Get off of our hyung-nim!”

He was released from the hug immediately. A quite good looking male towered over him, smiling deviously. It took a while before it hit him. He was for some reason, respected by them. He recalled the words he heard in the café. It connected. He turned to his friends, prying himself from the other’s grip to face them.

Next to the two, there was a male with messy brown hair, his eyes intently focused on Myungsoo in admiration. He could totally see a tail wagging behind the boy. He felt shy. Uncomfortable he meant.

“Yah Seo Kangjoon! Your stare is creeping our cute mascot out.”

 Myungsoo grunted when he was pulled into a tight headlock, his hair was being ruffled. The male named Kangjoon seemed to frown at the way he was being handled.

“What do you mean mascot? Myungsoo hyung isn’t our mascot!”

Myungsoo sighed. He wanted to get out of here. He didn’t know how close he was with these people in the past but right now, he felt uncomfortable. Wiggling in Woobin’s arms, he pouted when he felt the hold on him getting tighter.

“Let go of him already. You’re hurting him.”

Before he could even look at the new company, Woobin was thrown to the floor- who obviously dragged him down too. He heard Woobin click his tongue before getting up from the floor. “You bastard!” Woobin was laughing as he pounced on his ‘savior’. Myungsoo took this chance to distance himself away from the taller. Taking small steps from the fighting duo, he took in the appearance of the male. He looked much more fragile than Woobin. He heard mutters of ‘Jongsuk’ from the fired up male so he guessed it was the guy’s name.

Standing next to Sungyeol, he noticed the boy looked perfectly fine. Face stoic, the brunet stared at the fist fight in front of them. “W-what are we going to do?” Myungsoo asked in a hushed voice. “I’m s-still not prepared to ask them a-anything.”

“Let’s excuse ourselves to the hospital.” Dongwoo suggested, appearing out of nowhere from behind him.

“W-would they let us?”

“All we can do is found out.”Dongwoo tapped Kangjoon on the shoulder, grabbing his attention. The latter listened to the older, nodding every now and then. Shaking his head in an understanding way, his eyes suddenly met with Myungsoo’s. Kangjoon gave him a big smile, waving at him and his friends.

Finally stepping out of the circle, Myungsoo let out a big sigh of relief. He was glad nothing, bad or not, had happened. Although he did lose his chance to ask them about his past, he needed to sort his mind out first. The three walked in silence to the hospital, probably saving their comments for later.

 


 

Sungyeol stole small glances at Myungsoo. The other had not asked him about the panic attack he had during the day. He was glad that his heart hadn’t gone completely haywire on him. He wondered if it was the other’s way of being considerate or if the other was simply uninterested. The second choice depressed him for some reason so he stopped thinking about it.

After returning to the hospital, Myungsoo and Sungyeol rested for an hour, waiting for Dongwoo to return from his checkup. Myungsoo had been awfully quiet (not that the boy was usually talkative). It wasn’t really part of his personality to feel awkward about silence but this time, he felt the absolute need to talk about something. Anything. So it was a blessing when Dongwoo entered the room, replacing the silence with his whistling.

“Hey Myungsoo, you wanna talk about your plans now?” Myungsoo nodded in response. “So should we start from what we learned?”

“Myungsoo might have been a d*ck who fell from an abandoned building.” Sungyeol cringed at how rude that had come out. He didn’t complain when he was whacked by Dongwoo.

“W-who found me?”

Sungyeol hadn’t meant to roll his eyes but couldn’t help but do so. “How would I know?”

“Then… p-possessions? D-did I have any?”

“No. Although I don’t know about anything else. I’m pretty sure that you didn’t have anything with you.” Sungyeol responded. Myungsoo bit his lips and frowned at his answer. Silence once again filled the air, doing its best to make sure to mark its presence by amplifying the sounds coming from outside. “So what did you-“

“How?”

Sungyeol jumped a little. He had forgotten that the older had been sitting there, since he had been so quiet. “How, what?”

“I mean… if Myungsoo didn’t have any possessions, how did they identify him?”

He was about to respond but stopped midway. He hadn’t thought of that. It was just so natural the way the doctor greeted the patient that he hadn’t questioned it.

A knock on the wall broke his train of thoughts.

“Come in.” Inspector Howon was standing in front of the open door. He was alone this time.

“I’m sorry to bother you again Myungsoo-sshi but as we couldn’t conclude our last interrogation… Are you going to be fine this time?”

“U-uh… no! I-it’s fine!” Myungsoo answered meekly.

“Oh, that’s great!” the inspector took a seat next to the patient. “I’ll be very direct to save you time. How was your relation with your father?”

Sungyeol raised a brow at the question. “Wasn’t the case already solved? He died of an accident right?”

Howon had an unsure look. “Yes. But it unsettled me so I’m re-investigating.”

“Unsettling? Which part?”

“I-I don’t know how to explain this. I guess it’s my gut feeling? Um… returning to my question.” Myungsoo gulped when the investigator turned his attention back at him.

“H-he was caring? Yes, I-I mean. He l-loved me a lot!”

Sungyeol tapped his fingers nervously on his bed. Myungsoo at lying. Even though he didn’t get why they were keeping the whole amnesia thing a secret, he still went with it. He wondered why the investigator didn’t know about it. Even if they kept it a secret, Dr. Kim should have informed the detective about it. Speaking of the doctor, he remembered about the conversation they had before they were interrupted. Shaking his head, he decided to focus on the conversation in front of him.

He stopped tapping his fingers when he saw Howon’s face. He looked worried. Which was strange considering the context. The guy’s concern, from what Sungyeol could tell, was directed toward Myungsoo.

“Did you ever have any problems related to your father?”

“N-no. T-they were just a f-few small fights.”

The worry in the other’s face became obvious that even Myungsoo noticed. Standing up from his seat, Howon brushed invisible dust from his lap. “Thank you for your cooperation. I might come back a few times to question you more… that is if you don’t mind. I will get going now.”

The trio bowed to the male that made their way out the door.

“What was that?” Sungyeol blurted out

“Maybe that wasn’t the answer he was expecting?” Dongwoo said

“But he looked concerned.” He retorted.

Dongwoo huffed, lying back to face the ceiling. “Guess we’re stuck with questions for today. Just questions.”

Sungyeol also fell back on to his bed. He was mentally exhausted from all the thinking he had done throughout the whole day. He hated to admit that maybe… just maybe helping Myungsoo out wasn’t all that bad. He believed that this little ‘adventure’ could actually help his problem. He would quit right away if he was given the chance though.

“I-I’m going to get some f-fresh air.” Myungsoo got up from his bed and made his way to the door. Sungyeol was about to tell him not to close the door but halted when the younger walked straight through the door without looking back.

 


 

Myungsoo hated the feeling of his brain being stuffed with tissues (or something along those lines). There was a lot of information waiting to be processed yet, he hadn’t even started. Honestly, he was tired. He had wanted to go straight to bed and rest his pretty little head but the two other patients didn’t seem like they were going to quit talking any sooner. He knew they had good intentions but he just wanted for all of them to brainstorm in silence (with their eyes closed). He knew he shouldn’t be thinking this way.

Myungsoo sat down on a bench that was in the middle of the hospital, facing the stairs. He remembered about the doctor. He hadn’t finished their conversation.

After a lot of pondering (whether he was allowed to go into the man’s office without any permission), Myungsoo rushed up the stairs. He knew it was excitement that gave his legs the energy to dash across the second floor, to his destination.

Knocking softly on the door, he heard a familiar voice telling him it was okay to come in. Opening the door timidly, Dr. Kim waited in the same position as last time, with the same exact smile. His stomach twisted in response. He didn’t know why.

“Kim Myungsoo-sshi? What brings you here?”

“I-I uh… have some q-questions?”

Dr. Kim nodded and gestured for him to take a seat on the couch. The doctor himself, got two teacups, placing them down in front of them.

“So what more do you want to know about yourself?” Sunggyu asked as he poured some coffee.

Myungsoo didn’t have any questions in mind about himself. Instead, his curiosity was more directed at the point Dongwoo had made earlier. “I-I heard I didn’t have a-anything with me when I was a-admitted. H-how did you i-identify me?”

Myungsoo noted the way the doctor’s smile slightly faltered at the question. That only lasted for a second, the smile returning to give Myungsoo that same strange feeling.

“Ah, that would be because the two investigators, from before, had known that you’d been admitted here and they helped identify you.”

Myungsoo didn’t know whether he could believe the older or not. He decided to stuff the information in the pile of information that needed to be processed.

“Dr. Kim? Are you there?”

Before the doctor could respond and before Myungsoo could put his finger on the familiar voice, the man entered the room with a slam. The other investigator. He noticed the doctor glare at the man.

“I was occupied.”

“Whoops!” The investigator winked playfully, not caring about the glare directed at him. That earned a sigh from Sunggyu.

“I’m sorry Myungsoo-sshi. It would be best if we continued this meeting next time.”

Myungsoo bowed at the two and excusing himself from the room. Stepping out of the room, he slid the door shut. He put his ear on the door. He barely made out the conversation.

“What is it?” Dr. Kim’s voice.

“It seems that…” The investigator’s voice was serious.

“Did something go wrong?”

“No… I came here to tell you that…” Myungsoo groaned at the way Woohyun would pause when he was speaking.

“Spill it.” It seemed like the doctor shared the same feelings as him.

“MY LOVELY LITTLE ANGEL IS GETTING MARRIED SOON!!! HOW COULD SHE DO THAT TO ME?! SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WITH ME TILL DEATH SEPAR-“

Myungsoo removed his ear from the door, pouting. Despite the fact that he learned something new, the feeling of guilt for violating someone’s privacy ate him up. He ran down the stairs like a madman. Jumping under his sheets, he covered his head, planning to sleep. He knew that Sungyeol and Dongwoo were probably staring at him, wanting to ask him what had happened, but they seemed to be quiet. He was thankful for that.

 

 

The same damn old thing. He couldn’t move in this darn dark place.

“Trust no one but yourself.”

Knowing moving wasn’t a choice for him; he got straight to the point. “What did you mean last time?”

“Trust no one but yourself.”

“You are not alone.”

 

----

A/N: You guys don't know how much your commentaries brighten my day up! 

Remember, criticism is always welcome (trying to improve here) 

I love you guys!!!! :^] <3