(PH) Under the Sea

Drabbling through Eunhae's world (Two authors' game)

PROMPT: Person A is a badass and is about to bust someone´s sorry who is into selling people, and when A succeeds he doesn´t know what to do with B who he practically bought. - from thisseemslikefun

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The wooden boat was swaying on the sea gently as there was no wind to make the water wilder. I was sitting on the deck and leaning against the flag pole. A huge rice hat was hiding my pale face from the scorching sun and the curious stares of the people around. It wasn´t my time to act yet, I had to wait patiently for the nightfall. I wasn´t in hurry and pretending to be taking a nap, I was secretly eavesdropping.

“The wind isn´t blowing, do we make it to the port in time? The merchandise will die, if it´s out for too long, you know?” A short man in long green coat hissed. He was too angry to keep his voice properly down.

“You don´t have to worry, sir,” the sailor´s deep voice ensured. Even like that we will make it to the port by the evening and the trade will happen safely.”

Looks like I´m at the right boat. I smiled for myself, the smirk hidden in the shade of my hat. I should probably introduce myself to you so you wouldn´t think I was up to no good. My name is Eunhyuk and I´m one of the most capable men of the king of this country. I´m a loyal dog and strong opponent. Right now I was sent to bust a certain organization that trades inappropriate goods. And knowing that the merchandise was here on the boat, I decided to check it out before we arrive to the port and I would have to take the real action.

As the two men went to grab a drink of the rice wine, I used the chance and quickly dove to the underdeck. The ship was filled with a big amount of luggage because there were many merchants and travellers present. I was looking for one specific box that was owned by the short man in green coat. But which one is it? I wondered looking around.

It couldn´t be helped, I had to use my special skill. I raised my hand and with the two fingers pulled out small tissues from both of my nostrils. Surprised? By what? That I´m a dog? Please call me a werewolf at least and for your information, if I didn´t tell, you wouldn´t even recognize that I was someone like that. My sharp teeth were usually hidden beneath my lips, if I wasn´t laughing, and my tail fit well into my baggy pants. I would often reduce my sense of smell by stuffing something into my nose, especially if I was on the sea full of smelly fishes and even smellier sailors.

I crouched down and sniffed. Quickly I ended up in a coughing fit because of the strong smell of salt and spices. When I recovered, my senses caught a certain smell that I was looking for. I stood up and slowly walked to a big wooden container at the corner of the underdeck. Three small holes were made in the lid to allow the oxygen inside. But the holes were very small and the sail was very long. I was becoming worried.

“Hello?” I whispered and knocked a little on the wooden container. No response even when I called again. This was bad.

Not waiting for a tragedy to happen, I used the strength my canine genes presented me with and forcefully opened the lid. A bad smell invaded my sensitive nostrils and I had to cover my nose. Suddenly I remembered that it wouldn´t be too good, if the merchandise, as you´ve already guessed was a living creature, would see my face. I was here secretly after all. I took a piece of cloth and covered the lower part of my face, at least my nose could take a break.

“Hello?” I asked again and put my arm into the dark container. I tried to find out, if the person inside was still alive or uselessly lost because of the human greed. But I quickly found out that the body in the container was still very much alive. A bunch of sharp teeth bit my arm and I had to hold back a lot to not scream aloud. It wouldn´t be good for neither of us to be found right now.

“Let go, stupid fish!” I hissed through my clenched teeth.

But the other didn´t let go and so I pulled my arm up with all my strength. If it didn´t hurt, it would be funny. On my forehand was hanging a young man by his teeth. His skin was dark from sunbathing and his hair was dark and wavy. What made him special was that the boy was web-toed and his ears, nose and eyes had also retractable membranes so the water wouldn´t get through. Are you stunned? I´m not anymore after years of doing this job. The bastards trade mermaids but the boy is going to be the last victim. I will make sure of that.

“Aren´t you going to let go?” I asked angrily and when the mermaid refused I just threw him out of the container and down on the wooden floor.

“Ouch,” the manly body fell hard on the ground. Seeing the mermaid on the light, I felt amazed that somebody would lock it in a wooden container. What barbarians are these hunters!

“I´m Eunhyuk, the king´s dog,” I introduced myself holding my bleeding forearm. I tried to calm myself down as to not launch at the feisty mermaid under my feet.

“King´s dog? You aren´t here to sell me?” The mermaid asked and sitting cutely on the swaying ground, he started tying properly his blue pumpkin shorts. It was the only cloth the mermaid was wearing but I guess it would be too hard to swim in proper clothes. The blue shorts looked elegant with the golden seam anyway.

“No, I´m here to stop exactly that from happening. Mind to tell me your name?” I raised my brow at the clueless man in front of me.

“Uh, Donghae,” the mermaid answered and finally stood up. “I´m sorry for that,” Donghae pointed to my bleeding arm, “I thought you were one of the sailors.”

“It´s fine, I´m a werewolf,” I said and gave him a little peepshow of my teeth from beneath the mask, “so I will heal quickly. It doesn´t hurt that much anyway.”  Donghae only nodded in awe. I felt a little prideful to cause such a reaction, I felt superior.

“But, Donghae,” I started seriously again, “You have to go back to the container now.”

“Why? You said you came to rescue me!” Donghae protested and crossed his arms over his chest.

“No, I said I came to stop the trade. Down here I came only to check whether you are still alive,” I stated matter of fact and Donghae´s mouth opened agape as if he couldn´t comprehend.

The cooperation couldn´t be expected and so I decided to act before the beautiful mermaid destroys my mission. I grabbed the boy and with the same speed I picked him up from the container before, now I returned him back. I heard protests and some foul words too but I had no choice but to put the lid back on and lock it properly.

“Donghae, listen to me,” I said and the noises stopped, “I will definitely come back for you. Trust me, Donghae.”

There was no answer and I sighed. I didn´t have much time before we arrive to the port. I put back on my wide hat and quickly disappeared from the underdeck. When I was leaning against the flagpole again, I looked to the front where a small town was glowing in the bay. That was our destination, there all the bastards would crawl out of their holes and try to get their prey. But I wouldn´t let them this time.

_________

“Seventy-five golden coins!” A rich merchant called and raised his glass with wine.

“Eighty!” A madam from brothel waved her red fan.

“A hundred!” This time it was a dirty pirate and I almost launched forward when the ugly man grinned with mouth full of golden teeth.

I was clenching my fists as I watched Donghae kneeling in a cage, holding onto the bars hopelessly. Around him were tables full of various guests who all came to watch the secret auction. Donghae was the main prize tonight and I racked my brain at how to get him out safely and at the same time catch the merchants. I couldn´t think of anything and the time was slipping through my fingers.

“All right so for one hundred to the man in the black coat?” The bidder asked and I panicked. What now?! I promised! If he´s sold, not even the king´s dog can do anything anymore. And so before I could help myself, I was already making a huge mistake.

“Wait! Two hundred! Two hundred golden coins for the mermaid!” I yelled and everyone turned around to look at me. Attention was the last I wanted but it was too late already. People started clapping and cheering for me as the bidder called ´sold´. Did I just use my whole month salary on that rude brat? This must be a bad joke.

But the investment had one big advantage. I got to enter the backstage as I had to pay and pick up my prize. I slowly walked to the stage and was about to go behind the curtains when I glanced at Donghae. The man looked desperate and was crying. Why? Didn´t I just save him? So ungrateful.

“Two hundred golden coins, sir,” A very familiar short man in green coat said with a big smile on his stupid face. . I would have sliced his throat but there were a few regulations on how to treat the criminals and I had to act according to the law. I wasn´t just any dog, I was the king´s dog after all.

“Here,” I placed my leather pouch on his palms and the merchant hurried to count the coins. Now´s my chance. There are exactly four people I need to take into custody. The shorty over here, the sleazy bidder, and two henchmen that are probably half mules. Tough.

The mule number one was guarding the shorty, the other mule was now unlocking the cage and bringing me my prize on the chain. The sleazy bidder also arrived backstage. Perfect, now that I have you all gathered here, let the show start.

“Take this!” Was what you expected to hear from me but it was actually Donghae who roared and also added quite a rough hit. Unfortunately I was the receiver of the punch to my chagrin. What the hell?! “I can´t get sold, I´m waiting for somebody!” I frowned holding my bleeding nose, the mule number two holding Donghae.

“Possibly you aren´t waiting for me, Donghae?” I said annoyed and revealed my teeth.

“Eunhyuk!” Donghae suddenly yelled surprised. So he didn´t recognize me without the mask? Like really? I´m definitely underpaid for this .

“Better help out or I´m selling you as a goldfish, your brains totally match,” I rolled my eyes and hurriedly kicked the mule holding Donghae into guts. The big man fell on the ground and released the still slightly confused mermaid. I didn´t pay much attention to him anymore as I had other three men in front of me.

All hell broke loose as I fought, with a small help of feisty Donghae, with the nasty human hunters. I couldn´t injure them too badly nor kill them so they could appear in the trial. It took hours for me to tie them up and get them to the nearest armoury for the other king´s soldiers to take care of them. It was already morning when I found myself sitting on the beach and watching the golden sea. I was tired but the work paid off. Donghae was safe and so all the other mermaids from the incurable human greed. For a little while at least.

“Where are we going now?” I snapped my head and found Donghae sitting on the sand next to me. His dark skin was glowing in the morning sun and the wind was playing with his blue pumpkin pants.

“We?” I asked back still watching the mermaid.

“You bought me, Eunhyuk,” Donghae pointed out the fact.

“You are free, Donghae. I´m the king´s dog, not a brothel madam. Return to the sea or wherever you came from,” I turned away to look at the sunrise again.

“I can´t find the way back anymore and I don´t care!” Donghae raised his voice at me. “You bought me so take the responsibility!” He pushed his finger in the middle of my chest. What was I to answer to that?

“I see,” I said awkwardly and took out the big hat lying in the sand next to me. I put it on coolly: “I can take care of you of course.” In the shade of the hat I blushed deep red.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Asa! The first challenge cleared! :D It was hard to come up with something creative. T_T Giving me hard time, my friend... - PandaHero