Truth in a Field of Lies

All is Falling Down

Chaos. That’s all that Chanyeol remembers. After Baekhyun started to scream everything had gone to hell. Junmyeon had just remained where he was completely paralyzed; Tao and Yixing, along with Kyungsoo had stepped away from Baekhyun. Chanyeol wasn’t sure if they didn’t know how to handle it or they were just afraid of a seemingly deranged screaming Baekhyun. Even more so when Baekhyun brought his hands to his forearms and started scratching viciously the skin there. That action seemed to snap Minseok out of his shock because the oldest moved fast and grabbed Baekhyun’s hands. However, Baekhyun just struggled in his hold almost throwing Minseok on the floor with its force, hyperventilating.

Strangely enough, Sehun moved to help but, in his state of absolute terror, Baekhyun started to kick the younger, not even noticing who he was kicking. He didn’t stop thrashing until Chanyeol finally stepped forward and holding tightly in arms, whispering nonsensical words his ear.

It took a while to calm him down but he did. He ignored everyone’s stares and with the most caring hands, he led a whimpering Baekhyun to their room, half hiding him from everyone’s gazes. He sat the smaller man on his own bed.

“I need to go downstairs for a minute. Will you be okay alone?”

Baekhyun shook his head, not able to utter a single word.

“Do you want me to call someone?” when Baekhyun nodded, Chanyeol tried to guess who wouldn’t Baekhyun mind to have with him at the moment. Surprisingly, he silently agreed when Chanyeol tried Jongin’s name.

He was trying to figure out a way of calling Jongin without screaming or leaving when, thankfully Yixing and Sehun appeared at the door.

“Is everything okay? Can I help in some way?” asked Yixing sweetly.

“You can actually hyung. Would you mind calling Jongin, please?”

“No, not at all. I’m going to call him and I’ll make some tea. Tea is good to calm someone down.”

“Thank you hyung. We appreciate it.”

When Yixing left, Chanyeol fixated his gaze on Sehun, staring at the younger with cold eyes. Sehun, ever the rebel, stared right back.

“What do you want?”

“I wanted to check on Baekhyun hyung. He didn’t seem too good just know.”

“Really? What clued you in?”

“Don’t start with your protective crap Chanyeol. I just want to see him.”

“You had done enough for today. I think you better leave.”

“Well, that’s your opinion but Baekhyun’s has the last word about it.”

They both turned to Baekhyun and Chanyeol asked the smaller male if he wanted Sehun to stay, secretly wishing the other would say no. To his dismay, Baekhyun actually did send the maknae away, after being able to control of his voice again.

“It’s better for you to join the others. I don’t feel up to the challenge of dealing with you right now.”

Chanyeol felt like a proud parent after the hearing his hyung answer. It was a well sent blow to the maknae’s big ego, if the sour look on his face was any indication. Jongin entered the room in that precise minute, not caring about the anger vibes radiating from Sehun and made a beeline to Baekhyun, immediately pulling the other into his arms, letting him rest his head on his shoulder.

“Are you okay hyung? Yixing told me you called:”

“He did Jongin. He didn’t want to be alone right now and asked for you.”

Both Jongin and Sehun seemed surprised with that statement. Well, that was before Sehun’s expression turned for surprised to irate; Chanyeol would feel bad for the maknae if it wasn’t his purpose to do so. It was even better when Baekhyun opened his mouth to add more salt to Sehun’s wound.

“I did. I trust you Jongin.”

They all stood where they were in silence until Yixing came into the room to give Baekhyun a cup of warm tea. Baekhyun thanked him, his body completely lax resting against Jongin side, showing them how much this episode had tired him.

“I’m going downstairs for a bit. Will you be okay Baekhyun?”

“Yeah…Jongin’s with me.”

Chanyeol nodded briefly, kissed both men resting on the bed on the forehead and left the room, pulling Sehun with him. As soon as they were out of ears reach, Sehun pulled his arm of out Chanyeol’s grip.

“I don’t know what you are trying to do but stay away from us.”

“Us?” laughed Chanyeol “What us? There is no ‘us’!”

“Whatever you are trying to do just stop!”

“No, you are to one who has got to stop. I’m sick and tired of watching you stringing Baekhyun along, only to crush his heart later on when you suddenly decide not to care anymore. He doesn’t need that.”

“What are you: his best friend or his parent?”

Chanyeol sighed. He really wanted to beat some sense into Sehun, literally if needed, but now was not the time; Baekhyun had received that weird package, and was a bit shaken at the moment, everyone was freaking about it and Sehun was only making it worse. Chanyeol counted to ten before exhaling slowly.

“Look Sehun, I really care about Baekhyun, he’s like my younger brother, even though he’s older than me. The thing that is bothering me is how you treat him; you know very well that he likes you, he’s not trying to hide it and even if he did, it’s quite obvious. You know that and you enjoy having his attention, you crave it and pout like a little child if his attention wanders somewhere else but then you don’t seem interested at all in pursuing a relationship with him. You’re just messing around with his feelings and seriously, I’m actually begging you, if that’s the case, stop it. He doesn’t need any more stress. Not right now.”

“Why do you say he doesn’t need any more stress right now?”

Chanyeol looked at Sehun is disbelief.

“Was that the only thing you got out from what I said? You’re incorrigible.”

Chanyeol turned his back on Sehun, after leveling him with a hard, angry stare. He didn’t want to deal with Sehun anymore today; he didn’t seem to listen so why bother?

He bypassed Sehun and climbed down the stairs, joining the others on the living room. His attention was on the box; he picked it up and inspected it, not finding anything wrong with it: it was just a plain white box. The scrapbook had nothing unusual about it either. Chanyeol was trying not to pay much attention to the newspaper cut on the floor when he picked it up and inspected it closely. He was hoping that no one made questions about it, in fact, he was hoping no one made a comment about the whole ordeal in the first place but his wishes fell flat in no time.

“Anyone cares to explain what in the world as just happened?” asked Jongdae calmly, arm casually thrown over Kyungsoo’s shoulders, eyes watching Sehun entering the room.

“I don’t know. I’ve read the newspaper cut and it has nothing much about it. Except for the fact that is quite morbid and I don’t really know why someone would send Baekhyun that, joke or not. I especially don’t understand why Baekhyun freaked this much about it.”

Chanyeol had forgotten how smart Minseok actually was. He felt himself starting to sweat, he didn’t want to lie to Minseok or any of them really but this was not his secret to tell. Thankfully, Junmyeon stepped in.

“Baekhyun has been a little stressed lately, he’s not sleeping that well, or so he told me. Either this is the exhaustion speaking or he just freaked out with this surprise. I was freaked out by it, it looks like a scene from a horror movie and I’m kind of expecting a psychopath to burst into the dorm at any moment.”

“That must have been a prank.” stated Tao with a nod of his head.

“Who would do a prank like this? It was a really mean prank.” commented Yixing before standing up and slowly marching to the kitchen.

Chanyeol almost smiled in victory, Tao and Yixing, as innocent as they were, had already discarded the subject as it being a prank.

“Even if it is a prank who would do something like this?” asked Kyungsoo.

“I don’t know. Probably some deranged fan. They do stuff like that, remember the time they shaved their heads? How many of them sent threats and blood and stuff like that to us? I mean, it’s entirely possible. Now that I think of it, I am kind of glad that it’s not something worse.”

Chanyeol prayed that he didn’t end up in hell for lying but at least Kyungsoo and Jongdae seemed convinced or at least less suspicious, as they both went out to somewhere, probably one of their little dates.

“I hope you are fully aware that I’m not buying any of this crap.” said Minseok “You two know fully well what’s going on and this is not some stupid prank thing as you are trying to make us believe. I’m not going to ask any questions for now but I hope that this is an isolated episode or else I’m going to demand explanations. Truthful ones!”

“Minseok…” started Junmyeon.

“Don’t Minseok me! I get that what you are trying to do and I understand that you are doing it to protect Baekhyun for some kind of reason, but don’t treat me as a fool.”

And then the oldest had walked away from them, climbing the stairs to probably seek peace in his room.

“Well, I am not as nice as Minseok. I want to know what’s going on.”

Chanyeol and Junmyeon looked at Sehun, who stood in a corner of the room, staring at them with his arms crossed in front of his chest. They had completely forgotten of the maknae’s presence in the room. Chanyeol looked at him and felt his blood boil, how did the little dared to demand anything. Junmyeon must have noticed the anger radiating from him because he placed a soothing hand on Chanyeol’s forearm, sending him a smile before turning to Sehun.

“You are not in the position of making any demands. Actually, I want to have a serious conversation with you and know it’s as good time as any.”

With more strength than he appeared to have, Junmyeon dragged a reluctant Sehun up the stairs.

Chanyeol dragged a hand through his face and decided to check on Jongin and Baekhyun. He climbed up the stairs and gently opened his bedroom door. He was met with the sight of Baekhyun sleeping, using Jongin as a pillow, the latter didn’t seem to mind much as he lazily drew patterns on Baekhyun’s back, pausing from time to time to card his finger through the other’s silky hair. When Jongin noticed him by the door he smiled.

Chanyeol smiled back and went to the two of them, adjusting Baekhyun on the bed, releasing Jongin from his grasp and covering the man with a heavy blanket. Both he and Jongin fought the urge to coo when the older snuffled a little and burrowed further on the blanket.

Jongin moved into Chanyeol’s arms and just stood there in silence for a while.

“What did you tell them?”

Chanyeol looked at Jongin.

“Why are you asking that?”

“Baekhyun told me.”

“Told you what?”

“The bus incident.”

“Jongin…”

Chanyeol didn’t know how to start this conversation. The last thing he wanted was for Jongin to think he had been lying to him, or hiding which, technically, he was but not by choice. He must have looked half guilty, half desperate because Jongin laughed.

“Chanyeol, stop beating yourself over this, I get it; this was not your secret and it’s Baekhyun. We all know that you have a special relationship, kind of a soulmate.”

“You’re my soulmate.” muttered Chanyeol, squeezing Jongin.

“Not like that. I think you can have more than one soulmate. They click to you in different ways and complete you. He just completes you in a way that I can’t and vice versa, it’s that simple.”

The taller man hummed in answer. It was a good perspective and it kind of had logic.

“So, Baekhyun?”

“The others are convinced that it was a nasty prank. Minseok and Sehun are other story. Minseok is not convinced at all but he said that he wouldn’t do anything for now. Sehun overheard the conversation that Minseok had with us and demanded to know the truth.”

“Did you tell him anything?”

“No.”

“Good. He’s being a stupid prick and deserves to know squat. Baekhyun told me about their argument. Apparently Sehun felt very betrayed when Baekhyun went out with Minseok and Yixing but when Baekhyun asked him why he was so stressed out about it, the actually answered that he wasn’t, he just thought it was warning Baekhyun about him not being a good hyung.”

“I want to go downstairs and smack him. Seriously, I had this conversation with him; Junmyeon is having a conversation with him right now; you had a talk with him and he doesn’t change. He doesn’t even seem to show any remorse. I don’t know what do to anymore.”

“As much as we want to, we can’t do anything. This is a serious matter and they need to face it on their own in order to mature. The only things we can really provide are the shoulders for them to cry on and words of advice.”

And that was why Jongin was the voice of reason in their relation, if it was up to Chanyeol, he would probably do something to mess up things even further and upset Baekhyun, which was something that he didn’t want.”

They sat themselves on the bed, next to Baekhyun, Chanyeol with his back against the headboard and Jongin nestled between his legs. Baekhyun, despite being sound asleep, let out a whimper and moved toward the body heat provided by the two younger males, resting his head against Jongin’s tight.

“Chanyeol?”

“Yeah…”

“What about the package? I mean, someone must know about Baekhyun’s story because I don’t really think that this was a harmless prank. Whoever sent this knew how this would affect him. And that note…”

“I don’t know; I really don’t. I know that the guy is still in jail. Both Junmyeon and I have been keeping tabs on him. I don’t think they would let him sent something like that to anyone, much less Baekhyun and I can’t think of anyone else interested in messing up his head. For some reason I feel that this is really a bad omen.”

“I don’t have a good feeling on this either. Let’s just hope we can protect Baekhyun from whatever happens.”

Chanyeol agreed and the both of them looked at the sleeping male, silently keeping him company and guarding his dreams.

For now, he was safe.






A/N: Aaaaaaand here it is! Another chapter. Things are going to escalate from here! How are you liking it so far? Tell me! I always try my best to answer all of you. That being said, I'll hope to hear from you until next chapter. I hope you have a brilliant day/week/month/life! A big, biiiiig cuddly hug to you all! <3