A deal with the devils (sirens)

Fish Out Of Water

 

 

Jongdae swerved through the debris that was plummeting into the waters around him and looked for the human. Splinters of wood and glass were cutting through the waters, he barely escaped some and some did manage to nick his body. Finally, he managed to catch a glimpse of him but the human was rapidly sinking into the ocean and Jongdae knew that was bad. With a flick of his tail he propelled forward. Slicing through the waters at great speed, he caught the human under the arms and started swimming towards the surface again, carefully avoiding the broken parts of the ship. He was met by his friends and the sirens as soon as he broke the surface.

"Jongdae what the hell are you doing?!" demanded Baekhyun, pure dismay etched his features.

"Give him to us!" screeched Tao as he tried to snatch the human.

"Please." Jongdae begged as he tried his best to shield the human's body and keep his head above the water. "Please spare him."

"Are you crazy?!" hissed Chanyeol as he swam towards him. "Give them the human!"

Jongdae swam away from him. "No. Please just don't eat this one."

Jongin sneered. "Why?"

Jongdae didn't have a reason why, he just couldn't bear to see this one die. "I'll do anything. Please help me save him." He tried to bargain.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun exchanged concerned look before swimming towards them. The two of them quickly over powered Jongdae and separated him from the human. It wasn't too hard, Jongdae was already tired from dodging the wrecked ship, saving the human and keeping the human's head above water.

"No please!" Jongdae begged as he watched Baekhyun take the human to the sirens. "Chanyeol let me go."

As much as he struggled to get out of Chanyeol's hold, he couldn't, Chanyeol was much stronger than him. He watched in horror as the Sehun held the human in his talons, silent tears ran down his face as he waited for them to rip the human to pieces.

"You said you'd do anything." Sehun said as he stared at him.

"What?" Jongdae asked in confusion.

"You said you'd do anything to save this human's life." he clarified.

Jongdae nodded vigorously. "Yes anything. Please, I'll do anything."

Chanyeol slapped a hand over his mouth. "No he won't. We'll be leaving now, enjoy your dinner. Come on Baek."

"Wait!" shouted Tao.

"No honestly, I don't know why Jongdae's acting like this, please excuse his behaviour." Chanyeol rambled as he tried to pull Jongdae back into the sea.

"Wait or we will kill you." Jongin said coldly.

Chanyeol gulped and nodding in understanding, stopping all attempts at pulling Jongdae back into the sea. Baekhyun swam up to them, poised to flee with his friends if anything went wrong. The sirens huddled together in the air, the human still dangling from Sehun's claws, and deliberated.

It was Jongin who flew up to them once they had finished discussing. "Baekhyun told us that there are sea witches in the ocean, is this true."

"Yes." Jongdae answered immediately.

"We'll save your human, if you turn us into mermen." proposed Jongin.

Jongdae was bewildered. "What?" This was certainly not what he was expecting.

Tao intervened. "Chanyeol and Baekhyun always tells us stories of the ocean and being a merperson seems pretty cool, being a siren is lonely. We want to be turned into mermen.  We'll give you a week, if by the end of the week you haven't found a way to turn us into merpeople, we'll fly ashore, find this human, tear him apart and send his remains to you."

Jongdae answered without thinking. "Fine, I agree."

"You have a week." Jongin reminded him.

Jongdae nodded and easily escaped a shocked Chanyeol's grasp. He swam over to the piece of land that Sehun had gently deposited the human on. Baekhyun and Chanyeol silently followed him. The sirens could see that Jongdae was having trouble reaching the human because of his tail so they picked  him up and carried him to where the human was. Jongdae gently moved some hair out of the human's face. He felt so cold to touch, just like merpeople, but he knew humans are warm blooded creatures not cold.

"He's cold. How do I wake him up?" Jongdae asked in concern.

Tao changed back to human form and came over to them. "It's probably because he's been in the water for too long. Clasp both hands together, put them over his chest and press down hard 3 times then pinch his nose, open his mouth and blow into it. We've seen a couple humans do the same to some of our escaped meals and usually they wake up."

Jongdae nodded. He tried to find a comfortable position to do as Tao advised and found it was very difficult to do anything on land with his tail. He managed to get in an awkward sitting up position before he started performing the instructions. He clasped his hands together, which proved hard due to his semi-webbed fingers, and pressed down on the human's chest 3 times. He leaned over, pinched the human's nose with one hand, with the other he opened his mouth and blow into it. Jongdae knew it was neither the time nor the place, but the human's lips were just as soft as he'd imagined.

Meanwhile, Sehun and Jongin had managed to collect some dry sticks and were arranging them near the human so he could get warm when he woke up. They knew that if the human woke up, Jongdae would help them and they really wanted to become merpeople so they'd try their best to help save the human. Jongin found some sharp rocks and began lighting a fire. If the human was warm, there'd be a much better chance of survival for him, plus the flames would attract passing ships and more humans could come to the human's rescue.

Jongdae was about to give up all hope when the human spluttered awake. Baekhyun and Chanyeol ducked their heads under water and the sirens scattered. The human sat up and turned to the side to vomit up the sea water that was lingering in his stomach and lungs. Jongdae didn't quite know what to do now that the human was awake. He knew  he couldn't let the human see him but he was too far away from the sea to jump in. He considered rolling to safety but that seemed ridiculous not to mention that the human would probably see him.

While he was panicking, the human turned to face his direction and openly stared at him with a mixture of awe and dread. Not knowing what else to do, Jongdae kissed him. The human's body was already tired due to the amount of trauma it had been subjected to and proceeded to shut down. Once the human went limp in Jongdae's arms, he removed his lips from the human's and checked his breathing. Satisfied that the human was alive, he brought his body closer to the fire so that he could be warm and then commenced his awkward shuffle towards the sea.

As soon as he was in the sea, Baekhyun hit him over the head. "Do you realise how dangerous that was? The sirens...the human...Jongdae  you dumb ! You could've been siren food! You've been seen! What are we going to do?!"

"Relax." Jongdae said calmly. "I'm not dead and no one is going to believe him."

Chanyeol grabbed him. "Let's go Jongdae!"

Jongdae shrugged him off. "I'm going to stay to make sure someone comes to his rescue."

Chanyeol sighed. "Fine, we'll wait with you."

The wait was long and annoying for Jongdae, particularly because Chanyeol and Baekhyun kept reminding him how stupid he was, how much danger he was in, how much danger he could've put the entire merpeople race and how they should just leave the human because they were sure someone would come for him eventually.

A while later, a ship pulled up to the piece of land that the human was on. People rushed out and found the human and began tending to him. Content that he was safe, Jongdae allowed Chanyeol and Baekhyun to drag him back to the sea after one long last look at him. It was a bittersweet feeling and Jongdae couldn't understand why.