Dance Steps - Kray and Xiuhan

Our Children

The tea party that was being thrown by the local Chinese community couldn’t have been timed more perfectly. It was a bright, sunny spring afternoon with just enough of a cool breeze to keep everyone from getting too hot. There were tables landed with a selection of picnic foods ranging, a colourful arrangement of juice for the children and most of the adults as well since many were designated drivers though there was plenty of opportunity for people to have something stronger if they wanted. Music lightly played out of an old boom box which had been dug out of someone’s attic and there was just a nice little atmosphere about the place.

 

There were around twenty families at this little particular event and the children were running around, making a lot of noise and having fun which was exactly what they were supposed to be doing.

 

Luhan smiled as he gently bounced the just shy of one year old Ai on his knee, trying not to giggle at the look of awe in his son’s eyes. It was clear that he was fascinated by this whole situation but had no idea where best to look or who to go to first. Luhan sighed softly, “Do you want to go and play with all of these children, baby?”

 

Ai turned his eyes up towards his mother, before looking back at the party and his arm out randomly to point at something, “Jiejie!”

 

Raising his head, Luhan smiled at spotting an all too familiar girl running about merrily with her friends. “Yue,” he called gently, waving to the girl when she paused to see who was calling her before a big bright smile crossed her face and she rushed across to greet the pair. She was dressed in a lovely creamy yellow dress with a long sleeved brown cardigan that complimented and her hair was pulled back into a long braid and held back with a lovely little hairband.

 

“Uncle Lulu!” the girl greeted enthusiastically, throwing her arms around his neck to place a kiss before turning to give her younger cousin a hug as well, “Ai Didi! When did you get here?”

 

“About half an hour ago,” Luhan smiled, vaguely wondering where Xiumin had gotten to but figured that he had probably run into someone he knew, “You enjoying the party?”

 

“Yes, there’s so much to eat and so many people. Does Ai Didi want to come and play with me?” her childish flightiness made Luhan grin because she was way too much like both of her fathers for having their odd inability to stay on one topic for long.

 

Ai just smiled and nodded, allowing Luhan to put him on the ground before taking hold of his elder cousin’s hand and toddling off as she headed towards a small blanket area, calling to her friends to come over and play with her Didi.

 

A chuckle came from up above and Luhan tilted his head up to see Yixing standing there, “She’s going to be the carer of the two, you can see it already.”

 

“What gave you that impression?” Luhan chuckled back, “Was it the fact that she literally loves getting any excuse to baby Ai or Sooye or the fact that Tai is currently climbing a tree and will probably come to you crying in a minute or so?”

 

Yixing paled, “I blame Yifan for making Taiyang so hyperactive.”

 

“He’s a young boy,” Luhan argued, “They’re supposed to do that sort of thing.”

 

Yixing nodded, “I know, I’m pretty sure that I used to send my parents mental with the same sort of thing. But how are you doing anyway, feels like an age since I last saw you.”

 

“You saw me last week Xing,” Luhan said with a shake of his head towards the other, “I’m doing well. Ai’s getting bigger and more adventurous and as long as there’s no more flights involved then things are looking bright.”

 

“Good,” Yixing smiled, sitting down next to his elder friend and giving him a hug.

 

Luhan grinned, “How’s Yifan coping?”

 

“Very well actually,” Yixing hummed back happily, “Though it looks like he’s going to have a very similar pregnancy like he did with the twins. Sehun’s seething with rage at that.”

 

“I can imagine,” Luhan shook his head, trying to imagine what the poor youngster was going through because from the reports that Tao had managed to supply it was not going well in the slightest. Sehun had cravings, swollen feet, mood swings like no other and he insisted on having Tao as a personal teddy bear whenever he went to sleep because there was no other way to get him to sleep currently.

 

Yixing nodded, “Yup, is it mean that I couldn’t help but laugh at Tao’s update this morning?”

 

“I think everyone would have been laughing at that,” Yifan’s voice joined in the conversation, the tall figure easily casting a nice shadow over the other two, “I’m pretty sure the fan base have those photos stored somewhere safe a million times over.”

 

Luhan chuckled, “Sehun is going to murder Tao once he realises that.”

 

“If he doesn’t murder him before their kid is born,” Xiumin said, returning to the group with some juice after having been speaking to their manager on the phone, “Where’s Ai gone?”

 

“Yue took him to play with some of her friends,” Luhan said, indicating the pair who were playing a clapping game with a bunch of other little girls.

 

Yixing suddenly groaned and stood up, “Oh no.”

 

“What?” Yifan asked, sounding anxious before casting his eyes in the same direction as his husband and spotting the source of the groan. Taiyang had successfully managed to climb the tree which was no real surprise because he was forever climbing things but there happened to be a paddling pool just off to the side of the branches that the young boy was climbing over and it was very easy to see exactly what would happen. He groaned as well but before he could move, Yixing had placed his hand up in warning.

 

“I’ll go,” Yixing said already moving off.

 

Yifan sighed, “Xing, I’m pregnant, not incapacitated!”

 

If Yixing heard the remark he completely ignored it and continued towards their son with a look that spoke volumes. Xiumin chuckled as he glanced up at the dragon, “Believe me, if we had known then I would have been the same.”

 

“Baozi!” Luhan chided, smacking Xiumin lightly on the arm.

 

The rest of the afternoon dissolved into the usual and familiar softness that was a tea party, Taiyang thankfully behaving himself and not falling in the paddling pool or actually getting himself messy in the slightest despite the fact that he had been climbing tree’s all afternoon. Ai got tired and ended up slumbering against his father’s chest and the adults spent their time catching up and picking on Xiumin for his sometimes inability to understand all of the Chinese that was being spoken around him.

Towards the end of the tea party, Yueliang found herself watching as couples danced about on a small section to cherry music and her dark eyes blinked in curiosity at the situation. Yifan smiled as he caught sight of her and scooped her up, “Hey baby, are you okay?”

 

“Yes Baba!” Yueliang sang, “It’s so pretty here.”

 

“I know,” Yifan smiled, really glad that he had found this little community because it sure made his life a whole lot easier, “It really is pretty here.”

 

“Will Baba dance with me?” the little girl asked, eyes all big, wide and innocent as she looked up at him.

 

Yifan’s heart melted at the request and he nodded, wondering just if it was a natural ability of all little girls to melt people’s heart or if his daughter just had a special charm for doing it. “Sure, baby, Baba will dance with his little Fairy.”

 

“Yay!” Yue called as she was placed down on the floor, which was just the grass but no one was really going to complain that much. A new song started and the pair looked a little comical given their respective heights but they still managed to dance around together, Yue placing her tiny feet on top of her Daddy’s large ones as they moved back and forth in crazy and cute little style.

 

Yifan didn’t even complain when he heard the distinct click of several cameras, he was too happily focused on his own daughter to worry about his image being ruined. He was having fun and that was the best thing at that point in time.

 

“Baba?” Yueliang asked once the song was over and she had been picked up once again to make their way back to the others.

 

“Yes Yue?” Yifan smiled towards his daughter.

 

“Do you think that baby can be a boy too?” Yue said, sounding a little on the unsure side.

 

Yifan frowned, “Why?”

 

“Then I can be the only girl you dance with,” Yue replied with a cheeky little grin.

 

Bursting into laughter, Yifan handed Yue over to Yixing, “Definitely your daughter.”

 

Yixing frowned but didn’t comment on that fact much further as Yifan made sure to bundle Taiyang up onto his shoulder to get him to the car in order to head home. 

 

Authors babbling:

totally going to admit that this was wholy inspired by the picture of Yifan dancing around with Nini in the SOWK trailer and I swear that child is just far too cute for her own good. 

Hope you enjoyed it ^^