Chapter 4

How the Years Go By
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongwoon lay on his bed. He had been smiling a lot these days. It was all thanks to Kyuhyun. The brunette changed his perspective about life. He was comfortable around the younger. Kyuhyun wouldn’t judge him. He never did anyway. Kyuhyun always listened to his story, his complain, his feelings... For the first time, Jongwoon felt that everything was going to be alright.

Kyuhyun was talkative. He talked too much, so did Jongwoon. It was funny because Jongwoon never talked that much infront to people before, not even to his brothers. Kyuhyun would always keep silent when Jongwoon talk and it made Jongwoon happy that someone actually listen. The younger taught him many things, from interacting with people, how to play guitar and how to sing. Kyuhyun said that music was the best way to express his emotions and Jongwoon agreed with that eventhough he preferred to draw because it was his passion. He wanted to be an artist. Kyuhyun joked that someday when he released an album, Jongwoon shall draw the artwork. He liked the idea.

“Jongwoon, breakfast is ready.” Jongjin’s voice broke his train of thoughts.

Jongwoon walked outside of his room. He sat on the chair and saw Jongin already digging his food. One thing that didn’t change, it was his relationship with the youngest of the family. Eversince that night when Jongin pushed him, the youngest had been avoiding him. They didn’t even talk to each other. Jongwoon wanted to talk but he was afraid that he would make Jongin got angry again. It was sad because now his youngest brother felt like a stranger.

They ate in silent. The only sound was the noise of forks and knives hitting plates.

“Dad will come home today.” Jongjin broke the silence. “You should come home early, Jongin-ah.”

Jongin chewed his pancake slowly and stared at Jongjin. “I can’t. I am not going back home.”

Jongwoon and Jongjin glanced at each other. They didn’t really get what Jongin meant.

“What did you mean? You will sleep over your friend’s house or-”

“I am not coming home. I will move out, start from today. I already packed my things.”

Jongwoon widened his eyes. Jongin wanted to leave the house? Was it because him? What the hell was going on with their family. He didn’t understand.

“Jongin-ah? Dad is going back today. Can we talk about it when dad is here?” Jongwoon finally spoke up.

Jongin glared fiercely at Jongwoon and it scared him for seconds. As expected Jongjin was already in tears. He was crying as he squeezed the maknae’s hand, begging him to think again about his decision. Jongin looked away and untangled Jongjin’s grasp.

“I will stay for Dad and after that I will leave.” He stood up and left the house, slammed the door roughly. Jongjin sobbed quietly and Jongwoon just stared into empty space. He was just too numb to feel anything.

 

Kyuhyun was busy strumming the guitar when Jongwoon stepped into the music room. He carefully closed the door. The brunette looked up and smiled at him. Jongwoon smiled back and sat on the floor, right beside Kyuhyun. This place became his favorite place because it was very quiet. Not many students used this room except for music club’s showcase. Kyuhyun always went here because he liked to practice his vocal with the instruments. Jongwoon was impressed when he found out that Kyuhyun could play many things, from guitar, drum to piano. But the thing that Jongwoon liked the most from Kyuhyun is his velvety voice. It was smooth and soft, reminded him of honey. Kyuhyun always sang for him whenever Jongwoon had something in his mind. The weird thing was the song always described his feelings perfectly.

“Hi hyung.” Kyuhyun greeted Jongwoon. His doe-like eyes were sparkling with excitement. He was happy to see Jongwoon. Funny how life worked, He used to chase him around but now Jongwoon always came to him first.

“Kyuhyun-ah.” Jongwoon leaned the side of his head on Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

“What happened, hyung?”

This was also the thing Jongwoon liked from Kyuhyun. The younger always knew when Jongwoon had something in his mind. It felt like he could see through Jongwoon’s mind. The older didn’t need to say anything but Kyuhyun would understand. Kyuhyun would always do.

“Jongin…”

“You had fight again with him?” Kyuhyun tilted his head to the side and oddly he looked cute in Jongwoon’s eyes.

“No.. Not really. Jongin said.. Jongin said that he wants to move out. He doesn’t want to live with our family again. I just.. I just don’t understand.”

“You really don’t understand?” Kyuhyun made Jongwoon confused with his question.

“What?”

“I mean. Did you really try to understand the situation? You want your family  to listen but did you let them to? Your brothers… did you listen to them too,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter