Chapter 3 -- Cafe Date

I Got You Little Runaway

When Sungmin got up in the morning, he finished cleaning his apartment and set about picking out what he would wear for the next few days. More casual today, and an Armani suit for the dinner date. 
 

Because Kyuhyun wasn’t allowed to have his ‘do not disturb’ on, he was woken by his phone ringing at 4am and got to rush into work, outfit mismatched and wrinkled. However Kyuhyun was a damned good detective and wrapped the case in 12 hours. He would be doing paperwork when his reminder of their coffee date went off, suddenly so glad he had thought to do that last night.

Sungmin had dressed himself in a nice pair of fitted jeans and a well pressed Oxford shirt. Casual, but well put together. He had even pulled back his hair into a little ponytail so it was more out of his eyes.

He probably arrived first and ordered his drink before sitting down at a cozy table in the corner.
 

 At about 4:50pm Kyuhyun sent a message.
'So sorry. Going to be late. Work.'
Kyuhyun was upset but needed to finish the paperwork when then details of the case were still fresh. Although Sungmin was a little disappointed as well by the fact that Kyuhyun was going to be late, he understood that work sometimes ran a little long.

Kyuhyun finished his work shortly after 5pm and arrived about 15 minutes later.

"I am so sorry!!" Was the first thing out of Kyuhyun’s mouth--he looked every bit the overworked person(cop) complete with a crooked tie.
 

When Sungmin saw Kyuhyun come in, he stood up and smiled at him.
"It's alright, but you look like you had quite the day."


  "Woke up at 4am, just left work 15 minutes ago." Kyuhyun sighed and flopped into a chair.  

"You poor thing,” Sungmin started, “Let me get you something to drink."

At that moment however, Kyuhyun actually saw Sungmin and the words fell from his mouth before he could stop them, ", you’re gorgeous." .... then he just went red.

Sungmin blushed as well.
"Thank you. Even looking like you were swept up in a tornado, you're pretty handsome yourself."


  "No, I'm a mess." Kyuhyun replied; he took off his glasses, ran his hands back through his messy, fluffy hair and then pinched the bridge of his nose to try and stifle his yawn. Not sure how it worked (it didn’t) but Kyu did it anyway.


  "If you've been working that long, it's understandable."
Sungmin reached over and pushed some of Kyuhyun's hair from his face.
"Do you want to have something to drink?"


  "Of course I do." Kyuhyun smiled, feeling a swell of fondness for this veritable stranger.
"I can get it myself." He said as he moved to get up.


  "No, no. Sit. You need a little rest and I'm more than capable of getting something for my date."
Sungmin gently pushed Kyuhyun back into his seat as he stood himself.
"But you have to tell me what you like to drink."


  "Americano." Kyuhyun replied, allowing himself to be pushed back into his seat.  "An Americano is fine." He went about taking off his tie, undoing his top two buttons too.


  Sungmin let his eyes linger as Kyuhyun did that, swallowing thickly at that small bit of exposed skin before scurrying off.
He came back a few minutes later with his drink and a couple of pastries too.
"I didn't know what you liked, so I got a couple."


  "I like everything." said Kyuhyun as he suddenly realized he couldn't remember the last time he ate something and snatched up a pastry, devouring it in a few big, unattractive bites.


  Sungmin stared with wide eyes, blinking slowly. All the first dates he had been on consisted of awkward silences and both parties watching their manners like hawks, so this was new.
"You must have been hungry."
Sungmin had picked up the other one and was taking much smaller bites.


  "Sorry." Kyuhyun mumbled with a mostly full mouth behind his hand. He chewed quickly and swallowed.
"I don't think I ate at all today. I can't remember." he said once his mouth was clear and took a few sips of the coffee.


  "You've been up that long without eating?!"
Min almost shouted, holding out the half of his pastry that was left to the taller man.
"Eat this too. No wonder you look so exhausted."
 

  "I may have eaten." Kyuhyun said taking a bite from the pastry as Sungmin still held it. "I can't remember. It was a really busy day." he wiped his mouth with his pointer finger and thumb, the crumbs off of them afterward. "I feel better now."


  "That's crazy."
It didn't even occur to him to ask what he did for a living. Sungmin just assumed that he was a lawyer or something with the way that he dressed.


  Kyuhyun assumed a similar thing with Sungmin.
"A bit. But I will sleep well tonight." He teased, sitting up properly.
 

  "And here I thought you might be up all night thinking about me."
Sungmin gave him a teasing grin then, biting at the straw of his drink.
 

"I still might." Kyuhyun said before smirking, "Maybe I will even dream of you~" he teased.


  "Ah, now I know you're just trying to make me blush."
Sungmin laughed, doing just that. This guy was definitely charming.
 

  "I am, and it worked." Kyuhyun reached out to touch one of Sungmin's cheeks, smiling to himself. He lingered, as he always would, before taking his hand back and having another sip of coffee.
 

  "You must be proud then."
Sungmin's teeth sunk into his bottom lip when he was touched like that, heart picking up just a bit.
"So why don't you tell me something else about yourself? Any siblings?"
 

  "Older sister." Kyuhyun replied, "She's a violinist." Because she's always a violinist. "You?"
 

  "I've got a younger brother. He's still in university. I think he wants to be a chemist or something."
Because why not.
 

  Because SCIENCE!
"That's pretty fancy. Do you think he can do it?"
 

  "He's smart enough. I never really liked chemistry too much. I was more of a geology kind of person."
No, really?
 

  "Geology? Oh." So was Sungmin a scientist and not a business man? Kyuhyun shrugged off the idea. "I was a bit of a mathlete while I was growing up actually, if we're going to compare who is nerdier."
 

  "Well, that was my favorite science, but there isn't much money in that."
Sungmin couldn't help but giggle. A mathlete? Oh, that was good.
"I think you do win the need award."
 

  "I totally win the nerd award." Kyuhyun put his glasses back on and pushed them up with his pointer finger.
 

  "I think nerds are y."
Of course, as long as they had good hygiene. That push of the glasses had him letting out a snort and Min smiled at him.
 

  "Smart is the new y." Kyuhyun replied, drinking from his coffee more. He was starting to feel alive again.
 

  "I agree. I'm so glad people aren't just into muscle heads anymore. I'd much rather be able to hold a conversation."
Sungmin was actually almost done with his drink, so he sipped slow.
 

  "Gross. Muscle heads." Kyuhyun made a face. "So I know you like skiing... wine. What else do you have for hobbies?"
 

  "Martial arts... Specifically Wushu, but I've studied multiple types."
That face he made was actually cute and Sungmin smiled.
"What about you?"
 

  "I like to go watch musicals... And games, but I think I said that before." Kyuihyun scratched his chin.
 

  "Oh, I like musicals too. I haven't really ever gotten into games much. What is it you like about them?"
Sungmin was honestly curious. He would try gaming if Kyu offered.
 

  "I guess they're just mindless fun? Really help pull me away from everyday life." Kyuhyun said with a bit of a shrug.
 

  "I think they could be fun if you played with the right person. I've always liked the claw games."
And he was unusually good at them.
 

  "Oohh.. The ones that are out in the streets? You'll have to win me something sometime." Kyuhyun didn't realize what he'd be getting into.
 

  "Mhmm. I have a collection of some of the things I won."
No, Kyu had no idea. But that didn't really matter when you were attracted to someone, right?
 

  "Oh? You're really good huh? We should have a competition." Kyuhyun said. He trusted his skills.
 

  "I do like a little competition."
Sungmin mused, finally finishing his drink and grinning at the man across the table.
"What does the winner get?"
 

  To top?
I mean.
"A wish?" Kyuhyun replied with yet another shrug.
 

  Hehehehehe
"That sounds a little ambiguous, but it could be fun."
A wish could be anything, after all.
 

  "That's the best thing, isn't it?" Kyuhyun had an idea, "We should go find an arcade."
 

  "I haven't ever really gone to an arcade before."
It was weird, but Sungmin hadn't.
"You'll teach me?"
 

  "Of course I will." Kyuhyun replied. "Let's see if I can find one close by." He pulled out his cell phone and started searching.
 

  "I apologize in advance if I'm not any good."
Psh. With your reflexes, you'll be a natural.
 

  "You are already forgiven." Kyuhyun said with a grin. "Ah, got one. We can take a cab there easily."
 

  "I'm ready whenever you are. Just finish your drink and we can go."|
This was somehow exciting, and Sungmin felt little butterflies in his tummy.
 

  Kyuhyun finished the drink quickly, since he'd been sipping it pretty consistently since arriving.
"All right. Let's go." He held a hand out to Sungmin, a little blush on his face as he waited to see if he would take it.
 

  Sungmin stared at it for half a second before slipping his hand into Kyuhyun's larger one and letting him lead the way. That blush Kyuhyun had was matching the quickly growing one on his own cheeks.
 

  Who cared if it was their first date? Kyuhyun could be a little bold like that.