The Paradise Island of Love

Because Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


              On their last night in Macau, Yifan walked into the room to find Luhan already curling to his sides on his bed, sleeping peacefully. Strands of pink soft hair falling to his face, covering his closed eyes. Yifan kneeled beside the bed when the other let out a soft whimper, his eyebrows furrowed and lips pouting. The blonde extended his arms, carefully soothing Luhan’s brows with his thumb. Seeing the older face relaxed, Yifan let out a sigh. He smiled, standing up to change his clothes. He heard Luhan humming a faint tune in his sleep, but Yifan couldn’t hear clearly what he was humming. Right when he moved closer to Luhan to listen better, the younger stopped his humming, turning around to his other side cutely. Yifan smile fondly at the sight, he didn’t know why his heart feel content when he saw Luhan sleeping calmly like that. Maybe he liked Luhan. Maybe.. Shrugging the thought away, Yifan continued his forgotten task, changing his clothes and washing up before laying on his own bed to finally close his eyes with a smile plastered on his face remembering what happened with Qian earlier.

               Yifan never saw Luhan again since they part ways in the airport back from Macau. Luhan said that he will go straight to the office, because he had to talk to his boss, to make sure sure he didn’t get fired because his childhood friend insulted the boss before dragging his employee out of his office to Macau. All of them laugh at this, but Yifan genuinely felt guilty. He had offered to accompany Luhan to the office to talk to the boss, seeing that he was at fault, but Luhan politely refused, saying he can handle it by himself. So that was the last time he saw Luhan, going off in a cab with tired eyes. Luhan never came home since that day. Yifan waited up for him almost every night even when Ling already told him not to, because Luhan has his busy schedule. When it happens, Luhan could stay in his office for nights. The longest time he didn’t come home was for a month. Probably Luhan was just busy, nobody could hold him back in doing what he love, and working was something he loves a lot.  Yifan had hoped Luhan would come to say goodbye before he went back to Bali, but Luhan didn’t even showed up. His parents, Luhan’s parents, and Qian sent him off to the airport the day he had to go. Qian said Luhan sent a text message to her, apologizing for not sending Yifan off, but it wouldn’t be any different anyway. Qian just laughed off when Yifan said, of course it’s different. But until he had to board to the airplane, Luhan was nowhere in sight. Yifan finally left, after bidding goodbye to Qian saying that he will come visit again soon and with a promise that he will propose Qian when they meet again, saying that he will not forget to keep his health to Ling, and reminding his parents to not forget to come back to Bali soon because their son still needs them at home even when he’s already 27.

               So here Yifan was now, lying on the floor of his of his father’s studio. He’s been a week home, doing nothing but painting. His father’s workshop was located in a complex where their house is also located, along with small houses of other dance teachers and painters. It was still open even though Xingchen—as the main teacher and practically the principal of the painting and traditional dance workshop—has yet return to Bali. The lessons are still going, most of the teachers are there anyway. Also Yifan still have to do his job; practicing and getting prepared for a dance show which will be held in two weeks. But he has no energy to dance right now, or to surf. His friends has been coming to visit him and forcing him to go to the beach with them, but Yifan said to them he was still tired and still jetlagged. Just when he was about to drift to slumber land, Yifan’s nose caught a very familiar smell.

               “Uhh.. I must be really tired and still missed Beijing. Nobody sell kungpao around here,” he told himself. He tried to get back to relaxing and trying to sleep, but he can’t. the smell was too strong. He finally decided to open his eyes again, “I wonder.. Hey, Bli Putu..”

               He stood up, made his way outside to ask one of the other teachers who lived with his family there. The other was painting on the workshop porch.

               “Bli, lagi ada yang mas—“ he was just asking Putu if there was anybody cooking, but when he saw who his senior was talking with—while munching something the other had on his lap, Yifan couldn’t believe his eyes. “—LUHAN!?!?!?!?”

               The lithe man sitting beside Putu threw Yifan his gummy smile, waving excitedly when he saw Yifan. “Om swatiastu, Bli Kris,” Luhan greets Yifan in Balinese language.

               “The hell?? What are you doing here???” Yifan rushed to Luhan’s side, slapping his shoulder hard till the other winced in pain. “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming??? Why in the world—yahhh!!!!”

               Putu laughed his heart out seeing Yifan scolding and screaming at Luhan, shaking the smaller shoulder until he was rocking back and forth on his chair.

               “Ey ey ey, Kris, sudah sudah..,” Putu was still laughing seeing them, it was entertaining, but he decided to stop Yifan. He doesn’t want Yifan to kill his best friend who just arrived from miles away, does he? “He came from far away to see you. Don’t kill him,” Putu said in his accented English.

               “But how could.. why are you here? And did I smell.. kungpao chicken!!!” Yifan squealed in a happy tone when he sees what Luhan had in his hand. “Where did you buy this?? Luhanie, oh my God, can I eat this please please please?”

               Putu shook his head at the sight of childish Yifan. He had known Yifan since the boy first moved to Bali, and he treated Yifan like his own brother. He’s seen all of Yifan. His good side, his bad; how he sulk, how he is when he’s angry, how he is when he’s sad, how he is when he’s happy. He knew Yifan since he was 12, but he felt like he knew how Yifan was when he was still a child, seeing how he acted like a five years old sometimes. Just like now as he ate his favorite food which was rare to find around their neighborhood. The Balinese man decides to leave the two friends to talk. He knows how Luhan, Yifan’s friend, feel about Yifan, he can feel it just by a brief conversation he had with Luhan. He mirrored the smile Luhan had as he listened as the young man talk about Yifan. and he was sure there’s something there in Yifan too, because he saw how Yifan’s eyes lit up when he saw Luhan.

               “So, when’s your interview’s scheduled, Lu?”

               Yifan, chewing the chicken chunks Luhan fed him, asked the older. He already knew what Luhan was coming for, actually. He didn’t know why inside his heart, he hoped to hear Luhan say that he came because he misses Yifan, because he wanted to see Yifan.

               “Tomorrow,” he answered, offering Yifan another piece of the food, which Yifan received happily. He opened his mouth, letting Luhan feed him and wiped his mouth every now and then cleaning it from the sauce.

               “Awesome. It’s decided.”

               The now brown haired male looked at the taller one beside him. “What’s decided?”

               As the younger turned his head so the both of them are now face to face, Luhan can see a wide grin plastered on his face. “After your interview, we explore Bali.”

               “But..”

               “No buts, Lu! This is Bali, baby!” Yifan extend his arm, making Putu who just got back bringing two glass of water sulked because his shoulder was being slapped by Yifan’s Luhan laughed at it, but he nodded at Yifan’s word. Well, at this point, anything Yifan wished for is Luhan’s command. Anything.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter